• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CB's and accessories

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoleman

displayname
Glen M. Coleman
I just got my first truck Tuesday of this week.It is a black 1997 GMC K1500 4X4, extended cab, short bed. It has the corner notch mirrors on it, and I want to mount my CB antennas there, (co-phase of course, but how can I mount them, what could I use(hardware, as well as antennas...), and has anyone ever done this before. I had also thought of right behind the cab, but its much less routing from the front mirrors.
Thanks Glen

Glen, if by 'corner notch' mirrors your referring to good size truck mirrors with about 3/4" tubing for mounts, there are brackets made to hold an antennae on them. I dont know what Radio Shack has any more. You might have to find a truck stop and check there. There are antennas made that have a 'loading coil' at the base that will shorten total height(2-3 ft), other wise you'll hit everything thats over head(garage/barn doors!). Do a Google search for CB Radios and see whats available. ex- Silver Rabbit. <font size="-2">Now got the silver but lost the Rabbit!</font>

I have the mirrors that are all plastic, unlike the extenda mirrors some ferds and chevys have. I currently have a mag mount 4.5' on the roof, and it hits the oak on the way down the driveway.
I'll post some pics later today.

Here's what I did, its a little more labor intensive but it worked well. It's the braket to the left, under the bumper. I was running a K40 Trucker, the coil sits about 12 inches or so above the bracket and it was set off to the side enought that it wasn't in the way. The top of the whip was about the height of the roof so it worked out perfect and didn't hit too much.

87488.jpg

Cool, I have thought about gettin a couple of fiberglass whips, and co-phasing them behind the cab(stake pocket mounts, or somethin) and runnin the wires along the chassis and thru the firewall. Bumper mounting was my next option, but my 102" whip is too tall no matter what I do for it, so it stays home for the base mount on my roof, heavily grounded of course(lightning is common round here...)

Glen I Mounted a fiberglass 102" on a mount thats on the cab just under the windshield. I hit stuff going slow but it bent in the wind so it was fine. Finally broke the tip going thru an underpass that was at 10' 9". If you want to put a crossover tool box on your truck put mirror mounts bolted to either side(of the toolbox). run a couple good 4' or 5' trucker whips from there and you'll be fine. Get your friends into it and have fun!

Earl, my 102 is a stainless whip, affectionately called the lightning rod, as its used as a base antenna, and as far as the toolbox, thats an excellent idea...I plan on runnin Francis 4.5 or 5.5' antennas(black fiberglass, to match my truck,lol) co phased behind the cab(either in the stake pockets, or the toolbox...) Now to see if my friends have their handles figured out yet
happy.gif

Glen, if you'd like a pic or two let me know.
Just be sure to use some silicone sealant or similar if you drill holes to mount or you'll have the outside come in, I learned the hard way. Be careful how the coax runs, if it touches the paint it WILL rub thru as you drive, learned this the hard way too.
Earl

Latest posts

Back