• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CAUTION ->High resolution versions of Prototype CC photos.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go Charlie!

There ya go Marlin. Life can be simple.

Hope to see you post more often. The pic in your profile still brings back good memories of our cub lovin' Fancy.

Liked the article about the Scout. Muzzleloader season full top
IMG_0599.jpg

Howdy Everyone!!!
Again it's been awhile since I've posted. Busy with so much other things. January 3, 2022 will be my official last day at Danfoss Power Solutions in Ames. I am "retiring " from there and moving to the Dubuque area. Last Friday a party was held for me. I was able to get my team away from the line for an hour and a lunch. I still plan on working however fewer hours and less stress on the body.
Years ago Charlie Ricketts was a Project Engineer at Sunstrand in Rockford Illinois. After a successful John Deere Hydrostatic propelled combine project he was given his next assignment. He would head up a Hydrostatic propelled garden tractor project. Wheelhorse and International Harvester's Cub Cadet division at approximately the same time initiated the project. Wheelhorse by less than six months beat Cub Cadet into introducing the first Hydrostatic garden tractor.
When Charlie and a few other people were cleaning out old files and other no longer deemed necessary items he discovered a folder in a desk drawer. Upon inspection he discovered that it contained his blueprints for the prototype Hydrostatic Cub Cadet Original that he created. There were two Cub Cadets and one Wheelhorse. The other Cub Cadet and Was had a different design pump/motor. The other Cub Cadet kept the 7 hp engine while Charlie's was upgraded to a ten hp engine. This upgrade was made when Sunstrand heard that Cub Cadet was introducing the 10 hp engine into their product lineup.
Wheelhorse eventually used the other style used in the 7 hp Cub Cadet. Charlie's design became the basis for the 15U.
Anyway.....Charlie kept those blueprints and after his passing last year his family donated them and other things that Charlie had from his career with the company. I tried and tried to get a copy of those prints.
To my amazement I was presented the original blueprints for that prototype Hydrostatic Original Cub Cadet. Charlie Ricketts' blueprints.
I am humbled and honored. Yes they are somewhat fragile and need attention soon to preserve them. They are huge. Each one unfolded is approximately the size of a lunchroom or conference room table. It's going to be around $90 for each print to be made possible to copy. $270 for one set of three. I am not going to mass produce these. I hope that the Wisconsin Historical Society accepts a copy of each for their museum and website. It's not my intention to profit from this. I feel that it is a chance to share what a coworker calls...
Archeological History. It is common knowledge that few prototypes survive after a project is completed. To my knowledge even fewer blueprints survive. To me this is an opportunity to share a part of IH and Cub Cadet history.
I apologize for the long-winded post.

20211122_163916.jpg

Attachments

• 20211122_164042.jpg
    20211122_164042.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20211122_164037.jpg
    20211122_164037.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20211122_164013.jpg
    20211122_164013.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20211122_163949.jpg
    20211122_163949.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20211122_163935.jpg
    20211122_163935.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20211122_163919.jpg
    20211122_163919.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211122_163916.jpg
    20211122_163916.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20211122_163900.jpg
    20211122_163900.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20211122_164045.jpg
    20211122_164045.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 125
The faded picture of the 1450 was also a gift from the company. I appreciate everyone's thoughts about the blueprints. Maybe Kraig can post a couple pictures of the prototype Hydrostatic Original.

The faded picture of the 1450 was also a gift from the company. I appreciate everyone's thoughts about the blueprints. Maybe Kraig can post a couple pictures of the prototype Hydrostatic Original.

There are stamped dates of March 1963 and a couple others. So it's either a 1962 or 1963 year. Charlie said that another Sunstrand employee was able to keep the housing with the serial number and other parts not needed.

Congratulations, Marlin! I want you to know that reading your posts on this forum a few years back is what gave me the courage to finally open up my 15U last spring and replace the trunion seal (which had leaked since I bought my 782 from my Mom back in 2004. So, here's a long belated thank you for all the information you shared. Good luck in your new job - enjoy the fewer hours and less stress on your body. You've certainly earned it!

Congratulations, Marlin! I want you to know that reading your posts on this forum a few years back is what gave me the courage to finally open up my 15U last spring and replace the trunion seal (which had leaked since I bought my 782 from my Mom back in 2004. So, here's a long belated thank you for all the information you shared. Good luck in your new job - enjoy the fewer hours and less stress on your body. You've certainly earned it!

Thank You 😊

After I get settled in at Dubuque. I will get the process started to preserve the blueprints. I am confident that Kraig and others will be willing to help figure out a way to make the prints fit into the Forum's site. And if time permits I want to take more detailed pictures of the tractor. I feel as if Charlie Ricketts is going to be guiding us on this project. He was very down to earth. Enjoyed sharing knowledge and guiding those around him.
To me if possible it would fantastic to somehow have a toy created of an Original and the prototype. Sounds foolish doesn't it? Yet when I tell the younger generation that projects such as this weren't created on a computer you should see their expressions. I always wanted to put a restored Original alongside the prototype to show the difference before and after.

Congratulations on your retirement Marlin.

Thank you for preserving and sharing these great prototype blue prints and story of American innovation and teamwork!

By the way, did John Deere source hydrostatic transmissions from Sunstrand for the John Deere 318 lawn & garden tractor? When I was growing up, Sunstrand had a great reputation for their hydraulic power products.

Besides my all-mechanical CC 100 tractor, I also have a JD 318 (bought new) and it still works totally great!

By the way, did John Deere source hydrostatic transmissions from Sunstrand for the John Deere 318 lawn & garden tractor? When I was growing up, Sunstrand had a great reputation for their hydraulic power products.

Besides my all-mechanical CC 100 tractor, I also have a JD 318 (bought new) and it still works totally great!

When John Deere decided to quit using the troublesome Z line hydro with the BDU15L they were upset that the line had been dubbed "The Cub Cadet Line? by the employees and management of Sunstrand. The name stuck for years and at the height of production the simple line was putting out 300 units per shift. The longest tenure employee was one the line for over thirty years total. The product line still lives on after the purchase of it by QCC in Chicago, Illinois. Thus ensuring parts for years to come. Also..... John Deere didn't want to use the highly successful system allowing a smooth forward/reverse that Charlie Ricketts designed and Cub Cadet used. So they developed te design and went with the controls on the other side as the Cub Cadet.

A little update about the blueprints. A couple of best friends encouraged me to share the blueprints once they are restored. Share so that they are available without having to go online. I am blessed with someone helping me with this process of scanning and restoring. I am excited that this is being possible ahead of my initial time line.

I don't have a price yet for what additional copies will cost. They will be full-size and to my understanding be just like the original blueprints. I don't plan on making additional copies unless there is interest. I am still planning on presenting a set to the Wisconsin Historical Society.

Question for Kraig M. ......Do you think that you will be able to help put the blueprints on the Forum?

Marlin, it will depend on what format they can be in. I don't have the capability to scan that large of document. If they can be digitized then they can be shared on the forum. The only way I can think of to do that would be to lay them out on a flat surface and take a high resolution digital photo of them. Might take a few tries to get it right but that would be one way to do it without having the capability to scan large documents.

Marlin, it will depend on what format they can be in. I don't have the capability to scan that large of document. If they can be digitized then they can be shared on the forum. The only way I can think of to do that would be to lay them out on a flat surface and take a high resolution digital photo of them. Might take a few tries to get it right but that would be one way to do it without having the capability to scan large documents.

🙂 Thank You for the information. In the next couple of days, I am hoping to deliver the prints to the gentleman helping with the restoration process.

Happy Thursday Everyone!!!

I dropped off the blueprints yesterday and so far things look encouraging as to restoration and copying. It's been suggested that if anyone wants a copy to send them electronically. So once everything is done hopefully the prints will be able to be shared either electronically or if someone wants a paper copy that will be possible. From what I have been told is the paper copies can be done in two types of paper. Regular type which is around $40 + tax per print. $40 × 3 = $120 plus tax + shipping. Blueprint type paper for option two which is $80 + tax per print. $240 + tax and shipping. The blueprint colors will be the original colors.

I understand that this is probably boring and just taking up precious Forum space. I just want to share any information that I can about IH and Cub Cadet history.

Back