• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CATS Stray, Feral, Housebound, Declawed, and Otherwise

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in late October Selah started coughing. We thought it was a kennel cough which he has had a couple of times in the past. A kennel cough, according to our vet from prior visits, just has to run its course. When we noticed he was losing weight we decided it might be something else so we took him to the vet on November 3rd. Turns out he had heart failure and the cough was caused by fluid build up around (not in) his lungs. The vet drained 70 ml of fluid which they estimate was only about half of the fluid and prescribed some heart medication and a diuretic to help prevent further fluid buildup. A week later we brought him back in to have more fluid drained. That time they drained 80 ml. He continued to lose weight mainly due to loss of appetite which is a symptom of the heart failure. We tried everything we could to get him to eat, canned soft food which he never liked and he still didn't like, tuna fish, he would only lick it. The winner was crunchy cat treats which he would eat a few out of your hand, but only 5 or 6 at a time a couple of times per day. He never lost his thirst for water. On Saturday, December 5th we took him back to the vet and had him put down.
sad.gif
He had not eaten in two days and was extremely weak and started to loose control of his bladder. RIP Selah, 2004-2015.

Here's a few photos of Selah over the years starting with a photo of him the day we brought him home on October 26, 2004.

300823.jpg

300824.jpg

300825.jpg

300826.jpg

300827.jpg

300828.jpg

I took this photo of Selah on October 10th about three weeks before he started coughing.

300829.jpg

Kraig,

I am sorry for your loss of Selah. We have alway enjoyed the pictures of the adventures of your cats, and the other cats we have on here. We are a cat family, and I too have one that is starting to show his age. We got him back in 1999, and he was full grow cat then. He is a rescue from the local shelter. He is really starting to slow down, and sleeps a lot (even for a cat). I know I will be going down this same road sometime in the future. I wish you well, and enjoy the memories you have of him.

Kraig, That's really tough, I know. Been there and done that. Just last week Les had to put down Carter, AKA "Big C" in my book. He was HUGE, about 18 lbs. He too, lost control of his bladder and was in pain almost all the time the last few weeks. He was so big, he had an awful time getting around and could hardly jump off off anything onto the floor. The vet suggested several years ago that we do something and he has been on medication for pain since.

And he was so sweet, little kids could do just about anything and he would just love up to them all the more. He was an abandoned kitten that my son found back in 2000 or so along w/a calico sibling that is still here. I'll bet she will miss him. I'll try and post a picture or 2 If I can find some.

Scott, Shultzie, thanks.

David, thanks. Sorry to hear about Carter.
sad.gif
Thankfully Selah didn't seem to be in any pain. He would purr when we would be with him right up to the last day. This is the third cat we've had to have put down. First one was Spree back in 2003 and Moonzie back in 2009, it never is easy, nor should it be...

Kraig, my heart goes out to you and your family. Years ago we had two cats with excess fluid on the heart, we too had to put them to sleep. It really sucks, just have to remember the good times we had with them when they were well. A.
<font size="-1">Having this happen at the holidays makes it even harder,hang in there.</font>

Kraig M. Ohmigosh. We are so saddened to hear that news. Your family has our thoughts and prayers. Thank You for all those pictures of Selah that you have shared with us over the years.

Sorry to hear that, Kraig. As Marlin said, we've enjoyed her pictures over the years. F.

My prayers for you Kraig, my girls always enjoyed his pics

Kraig-

I have been having computer issues or else I would have chimed in a lot sooner.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. As I always say, time will eventually be your friend here.

Not sure how or why I've missed this thread Kraig but I am so sorry for your loss!

We have one here that adopted us, moved right in and called it home. I dread the day I have to make the decision you just did. I guess we can only enjoy them and treat them right and know we did the best we could while we are together...

Kraig, Marlin told me that Selah had passed. I feel so badly for all of you. I am so sorry that you lost this beautiful guy.He was a very special kitty.. Sending warm thoughts to all of you ..

David, you can say one thing for Pumpkin.
he looks very patient. LOL. I only saw him in the photo cuz of the special glasses I am wearing.without them, he would be totally invisible. Great illusion Pumpkin.!!

Kraig,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Been very busy lately, and haven't been able to look at this site much. Thought I would take a quick glance tonight. Take comfort in the fond memories, and remember this thought: It's better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.
happy.gif

R.I.P. Pumpkin.
We lost our beloved magnificent orange longhair this week. Complications from the annual visit to the vet back in Jan for shots that did not go well and turned int a 2+ month long <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> for us all. We probably held out hope for too long when there was none to speak of.

Possible recurrence of feline herpes that he more than likely had as a kitten is the best assumption. OUR NEW vet agrees.
We have since learned it can be brought on by sudden shock or trauma. This fits to a tee his sudden change of personality since Jan. The last shot he got was supposed to be for worms as he is an outdoor cat most of the time during good weather, and Pun'kin just went nuts, I had all I could do to hold him, such a strong cat.

He was such a joy to be around, he was so full of life. Only 6 years old.
I prepared a place for him in Carolyn's flower garden. Here are just a few of the ways that we will always remember him by.

303497.jpg

303498.jpg

303499.jpg

303500.jpg

David, sorry to hear that Pumpkin has passed away.
sad.gif
My condolences.

Back