• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cat 0 "Super #2 Tiller"

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
I started work on making my version of an MTD #2 Tiller Cat 0 mounting this weekend......with a twist.....it will be going on my 982S (red 2072 SGT)......and will be 50" wide with pillow block bearings on the end plates.

I finished the attachment linkages and adapters today and only need to work on adding the second extension, end plate bearings and some reinforcement for the end plates.

7" Extensions came off of a Montgomery Wards 5hp roto-tiller (same as IH #1, but 1" dia. shaft) and the extension guards came from Mike M.

Belt drive will use mower mule drive and std 5/8" mower belt on a modified subframe with center spindle from mower deck (5/8" x 1/2" sheave and waterpump deck bearing). 1/2" belt with tensioner will then drive from center of tractor to tiller gear box. This will wait until spring, as I'm not taking the blade off to mess with drive system.

I used the literture pics of the MTD factory version as well as recollections of the 2 or 3 I've seen in person, as well as an idea or 2 frrom Matt G's efforts with the same project on his 782D (liked the 2 holes for tilling depth and "high transport" on the lift tugs). It will be a 1 pin and lift tugs mounting of the tiller when complete....no bolts, no readjusting of the short belt, and no PINCHED FINGERS!!!!!

Should be the only 50" #2 tiller mounted to the cat 0 3 pt. of a SGT out there (AFAIK
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
)

251574.jpg

251575.jpg

251576.jpg

251577.jpg

251578.jpg

251579.jpg

Factory cat 0 adapter....

251581.jpg

251582.jpg

Nice job Steve. That is a very large counter weight!

Steve, do you have suitcase's for up front when tilling?

I have a 100# rack of MWSC weights for the front if needed, but it really isn't too bad....no worse than the tongue weight of my 18' trailer.

I'm hoping the bearings take a lot of the "s"h"a"k"e" out of the tiller and housing.....

I wouldn't have gone wider, but all of my tractors now wear 26" tires and the std 38" won't cover the tracks.

Cat 0 conversion makes attaching the tiller and gear box together a very simple operation.

Looks great Steve!
happy.gif

I must admit, the two holes in my lift links were not planned that way...the first set I drilled only let the tiller go about an inch into the ground, so I had to try again
angry.gif

Nice job. I've considered this several times to run the tiller on the 982... only problem is I don't know if it would look quite this good.
happy.gif

Thanks guys.

Me, Quit plowing????????? Not likely
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Plow in the fall to bury the trash and fracture the soil deep, let winter freeze and thaw to it's thing, then till in the spring for that perfect seed bed...
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Steve B ; Nice Job , you must have real soft soil over your way.
We have so many rocks here that i bet that tiller would take a beating here.

Steve

how did the new cat 0 tiller perform this year ...thinking of doing the same to mine for my 1812 just not extending the tiller width... do you have a drawing or better pics of the plate that mounts on the gearbox bracket...

Latest posts

Back