• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cast End Mower Deck

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john.knutson

displayname
John K
Picked up a new (to me) mower deck last week. I have a non-cast deck as well but it's not in the best shape, and I have 2 acres to mow so I figured if nothing else it would be good to have a backup.

I'm not certain of the size, it was sold as a "46 inch" deck which I do not believe exists, and I cannot locate a serial number or any other meaningful markings on it. So far I have mowed 1/2 my lawn without any sharpening to the blades and it cuts great (and makes a bit less noise than my other non-cast deck). I did mix the QA front part of my old mule drive with the deck hanger that came with the non-QA mule drive that came with the cast end deck.

IMG_20200507_180517.jpg
IMG_20200506_192448.jpg
IMG_20200506_192442.jpg

Picked up a new (to me) mower deck last week. I have a non-cast deck as well but it's not in the best shape, and I have 2 acres to mow so I figured if nothing else it would be good to have a backup.

I'm not certain of the size, it was sold as a "46 inch" deck which I do not believe exists, and I cannot locate a serial number or any other meaningful markings on it. So far I have mowed 1/2 my lawn without any sharpening to the blades and it cuts great (and makes a bit less noise than my other non-cast deck). I did mix the QA front part of my old mule drive with the deck hanger that came with the non-QA mule drive that came with the cast end deck.

View attachment 138269View attachment 138270View attachment 138271
Measure blade tip to blade tip and you'll know. (y) Looks like a 38 to me.

Sure looks like a 42” to me. This is my 100 with a 42” deck and 23/8.5 tires. The 38” doesn’t have enough room between the gauge wheels to clear 8.5” wide tires.
2145BD21-9A35-4E7D-8377-A8235F7801AC.jpeg

I'm thinking it is a 42", granted the blades don't line up perfectly for the measurement.

Either way, it's a good size for me, hangs out of the mower enough for good coverage but not so far that I bump the trees with it (well, maybe one or two, but it was my first time with this deck and first time on this lawn).

IMG_20200512_182437.jpg

IH, and even up through the present day MTD CC's measure the actual width of cut, not the sheet metal.

So this one being listed as a "46 inch", the seller measured the sheet metal, which would be about right, looking at your picture and tape....

I'm not sure what the 2 blade deck is considered, but IH 3 blade decks were:

"Triangle" Decks - 38, 42, 48: not sure if they made a "cast end" deck in 48. I think the 48 was "only" for the 12/14 horse tractors......

"Stamped" Decks - 44, 50. The "A" Designation was a 1/2" belt for the 1x8/9 and Quietline, The "C" Designation was the 5/8" Belt for the 82 Series and up... The only real differences was the center pulley, and the location of the front lift "eyes". I currently have a "44C deck on my 1450, that has the original center pulley (actually I swapped the entire spindle, but same result) from the 44A that it came with.

The "38 A/C" was the same "Triangle" Deck. IH never made a "stamped" 38......

Wow! That’s a really solid old deck. Most of those have holes rusted through them and the baffles are long gone. Mine was in rough shape when I got it.

Wow! That’s a really solid old deck. Most of those have holes rusted through them and the baffles are long gone. Mine was in rough shape when I got it.
My wife found it on Facebook (I don't have one myself) but it was a great deal I think!

I'd like to put some new runners on my stamped deck and set one of them up for my Peco Vac.

Back