• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Carb question for a Briggs on my Craftsman

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PACub100

IHCC Supporter
I have a Craftsman (Poulan / Husqvarna) DYS4500 that I'm planning on selling this spring. It's been a really nice mower but I want a Cub 1450 so I can do more than just mow around the house. Here's the problem. For the past 2 years when I start the mower, it'll run for approximately 30 - 45 seconds then it sputters. I'll pull the choke and get another 10 - 15 seconds of smooth running and then it shuts off. I've pulled that carb off at least 3 times and cleaned it out thoroughly but it makes no difference.
Now here's what I've been doing to remedy the situation. I pull the fuel supply line right after the pump and send a few bursts of air thru the carb using my air compressor. Put the hose back on and "Ta-Da!"...it works fine. I can mow all day long. But if I shut off the mower and take a 1 hour break or so, it'll do it again and I need to break out the compressor for another couple bursts of air.

If it weren't for me selling the mower, I wouldn't worry about fixing it. But I do want to sell it and get around $350-400 so I'd like to have it working correctly. With what I've described, can anyone give me a heads up on what it may be?

thanks,

Figured it out, a coworker mentioned cleaning the fuel pump. Disconnected the fuel lines as well as the one from the manifold. Took it off, sprayed inside each fitting with carb cleaner and shook it around a few times. Cleaned it up, reconnected and it's working fine now. So if anyone else has trouble similar to what I had, this may be the solution...👍

I have a Craftsman (Poulan / Husqvarna) DYS4500 that I'm planning on selling this spring. It's been a really nice mower but I want a Cub 1450 so I can do more than just mow around the house. Here's the problem. For the past 2 years when I start the mower, it'll run for approximately 30 - 45 seconds then it sputters. I'll pull the choke and get another 10 - 15 seconds of smooth running and then it shuts off. I've pulled that carb off at least 3 times and cleaned it out thoroughly but it makes no difference.
Now here's what I've been doing to remedy the situation. I pull the fuel supply line right after the pump and send a few bursts of air thru the carb using my air compressor. Put the hose back on and "Ta-Da!"...it works fine. I can mow all day long. But if I shut off the mower and take a 1 hour break or so, it'll do it again and I need to break out the compressor for another couple bursts of air.

If it weren't for me selling the mower, I wouldn't worry about fixing it. But I do want to sell it and get around $350-400 so I'd like to have it working correctly. With what I've described, can anyone give me a heads up on what it may be?

thanks,
Look up the complete carb number and get a new cheap one on Amazon and look close a the number match exactly, order one with gaskets and plugs and fuel shut off valve install new parts with clean fuel line and ever time you going to set the machine for more than fifteen days shut off fuel run till it’s out of gas then there is no gas to turn to varnish at all, the ethanol goes bad very quickly SIR !!!!

Back