• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Carb issues

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward carey

I just bought a 128. runs good starts right up no smoke. I parked it in the attached garage yesterday after I used it. Within an hr the gas smell In the house was terrible. Looked there’s no puddling no leaking. Took the float bowl off checked the float bowl gasket needs to be replaced. Can this cause that bad of an odor or do I need to keep looking or rebuild the carb.

First, welcome to the forum!
Yes, gas can smell pretty bad in a closed location. I would clean the carb and put a rebuild kit in it. The kit is around $15.

Also careful tightening the nut that holds the bowl in place. You can easily distort the bowl and it will leak. Also if you are parking it inside I would install a petcock to turn the gas off to the carb..

It has a petcock to shut the fuel off. gonna replace that as well as the screen in it is beat out. Im just gonna rebuild the carb and replace the shut off, and install a filter and new line. Thanks for the answers

It has a petcock to shut the fuel off. gonna replace that as well as the screen in it is beat out. Im just gonna rebuild the carb and replace the shut off, and install a filter and new line. Thanks for the answers
because of a possible flooding....pull spark plug and roll it by hand just to see if gas entered the cyl. If it did check your oil for gas as well....just to be safe....

What Gary said.
Many times, if needle valve sticks gas will flow into carb bowl, fill the bowl to the point it runs into the cylinder and ultimately past the piston rings and into the crank. Check dipstick for overfull. Smell dipstick for gas smell. As Gary said, pull plug and crank to see if had spits out the plug hole. Don't crank it with plug in. If cylinder is full of gas you will get hydro lock. Could bend a valve.

Moons ago I made the mistake of just tossing the plug wire aside and cranked the engine to blow out gas. The plug wire found a good place to ground so set off a nice spark and the ensuing was a quick explosion of the gas being blown out. Nothing like a ball of fire to wake you up...so always crank by hand first...a hydro lock CAN be very dangerous if not handled right...

Guys, the intake valve is higher then the carb so gas can't run into and fill the combustion chamber on the one lung Kohlers K-Series. If the needle sticks or doesn't fully seal, the gas is going to run out into the air filter canister and eventually on to the floor. If its a small leak, the air filter may absorb the gas and it won't leak onto the floor but it will smell up the garage. Always a good idea to close the shutoff valve on the gas tank to prevent gas leakage.

Moons ago I made the mistake of just tossing the plug wire aside and cranked the engine to blow out gas. The plug wire found a good place to ground so set off a nice spark and the ensuing was a quick explosion of the gas being blown out. Nothing like a ball of fire to wake you up...so always crank by hand first...a hydro lock CAN be very dangerous if not handled right...
only to clarify...I was speaking of all small engines in general,horizontal and verticle .. I should have made that point clear....

When replying to an unknown person,my position is to believe they have very little experience ..What that means from a teaching perspective is to attempt to explain the "whys" as well as adding some advice or guidance...If my comments on a gas explosion saves somebodies facial hair or garage from catching on fire then the purpose has been served.. :)

Back