• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cant Remove pto clutch

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryCub

I have been working on my 72 fits and starts, and I finally am putting things back together, as always there seem more pressing things that I must do. But, now I have hit another snag: there are 3 small spring clips that fit on the friction disk lugs (IH 531978-R1). I cannot figure out how, unless they fit on the side of the disk lugs to prevent the friction disk from rattling in the basket pulley. Are they necessary (only 2 were present when I took the clutch apart). I ask this because I found a Utube video about assembling and reinstalling front PTO clutches and the clips are not mentioned in the video. I am more than confident your experience is more reliable than Utube. Thanks again in advance.

Try this? They don't seem to stay in place long.
Anti Rattle Springs.jpg

I have been working on my 72 fits and starts, and I finally am putting things back together, as always there seem more pressing things that I must do. But, now I have hit another snag: there are 3 small spring clips that fit on the friction disk lugs (IH 531978-R1). I cannot figure out how, unless they fit on the side of the disk lugs to prevent the friction disk from rattling in the basket pulley. Are they necessary (only 2 were present when I took the clutch apart). I ask this because I found a Utube video about assembling and reinstalling front PTO clutches and the clips are not mentioned in the video. I am more than confident your experience is more reliable than Utube. Thanks again in advance.
http://cubfaq.com/mechanical_pto.html

When you say that "they don't seem to stay in place long", does that mean that they are not essential? In other words, will anything bad happen if I just leave them out? Right now there are no attachments on this tractor; I just use it for pulling a trailer around our place. As I told my family, the 72 will run a long time on the gas it takes to start the 656.

A lot of folks have said they leave them out, but that makes the clutch very noisy when disengaged. If you're not using an attachment anyway, you can leave the clutch engaged and let it spin. This will also save wear and tear on the release button too.

Some guys report they've installed them only to have them pop off and disappear, I haven't had that experience myself. So I always install them - and I prefer a quiet engine.

When I redid the clutch on the 122 I put them in. They were missing. I have removed and rebuilt clutches for a number of people. The clips were missing on all of them. No one opted to put them back in. I did ask them.

Over the decades of Cub Cadet ownership, I have rebuilt my front PTO clutches more than a few times. The springs were always missing, and I always installed new ones that came with the kit, only to have them disappear in a short time. Yes, the clutch got noisy, and irritated the hell out of me. Also, I figured the constant knocking surely would shorten the life span of the disk, and wear on the basket. Out of desperation one day, I came up with the idea of putting a little dab of automotive urethane windshield glue/sealer on each lug of the clutch disk in place of the springs after assembly. Seems to have been one of my better ideas over the years. It also seems to help with the longevity of the disk, no more broken cogs.

I will admit, I too gave up on trying to keep the springs in place over the years, however, I believe I will try John's glue idea w/my sons 149 we have apart right now.

I will swear by using urethane w/s sealer, it's worked well for me. A little bit no larger than a small pea on each cog. Maybe we don't really need one on every cog but, I figured the springs always fall out so, after the urethane hardens it may do the same after years of use but, plenty survives through the life of the disk, bearing, or button.

Back