• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Can someone explain the logic try to use the Manual link listed here. Want to see stuff on the 169

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But as a new person here how would we know what a 1x8 x9 means? I happen to find the book there. That is what meant by the code of numbers

In old fashioned terminology the x is a variable place holder as in cc tractors hp.128, 149. Since the frames and transmissions are mostly the same.

X is a placeholder for variable models:
1x8 means it could apply to a 108, 128, or 148 (do those exist?)
1x9 could be a 109, a 129, a 149, or a169 (like yours-good score even if it has a bendix starter motor! Nobody would think twice about encouraging you to get a1650 with that motor.). Just because it doesn’t belong, doesn’t mean it wasn’t done well, or couldn’t give you years of good service.

Huh?
Explain what code?
Manual is easy, I got that part.
http://www.ccmanuals.info/manuals.html
Compare what to what you have?
this is what i meant and i just read today, we should help the new user to understand the layout of this site. "
Hydro Harry's Cub Cadet Series Description
this was very informative and new user should read it

Just to be clear, the manuals are not part of the IH Cub Cadet website, they are on Charlie's (aka Digger) website. Same with the CubFAQ, that is also on Charlie's website.

this is what i meant and i just read today, we should help the new user to understand the layout of this site. "
Hydro Harry's Cub Cadet Series Description
this was very informative and new user should read it

This post gave me an idea, that is to add a pinned post in the "Introductions" area that has links to useful info such as the CubFAQ, the Manuals, Hydro Harry's Cub Cadet Series Description and Roland's Fancy Colored Wiring Diagrams and perhaps others as I think of them.

Thanks for the idea!
IH_Thumbs_UP_WHITE-SMALL.jpg

As a nube and just beginning with ICC's, I have been poking around in the crooks and crannies on this website. Awesome stuff, but I also followed the link to the manuals site, where ever that is, and went "What the heck?!" Didn't want to take the extra half hour to figure it all out, so I went elsewhere and found all the shop manuals, operator manuals, etc. I needed for my 1650 project. A little bit of googling was all it took.

A little duplication is not a bad thing. You never know when a website will go down because of technical issues, change of priorities, health, etc. So it would be great if this website had a similar resource but in a simpler, easier to use format. I know that's easy to say...give work to someone else...but I would even volunteer to help with the project during the winter months. I'm familiar with website construction and development. Just throwing my two cents out there.

This website is a top notch site. Lots of friendly people with great advice and tons of resources. Keep it up!

Stephen, firstly welcome!! and you make a good point(s) I'm no newbie but I also get (awfully) confused.... which is not difficult.

So Kraig's head was sore and he needed aspirin ... Now with some time having passed and I'm sure he feels much better and he, or others, may be able to help answer this next part, building it into his opus magnus.
As far as I know all Original's (O's) came out with a flat cast iron front grill-mount (yellow heavy piece of cast-iron). But as some point they changed that to accommodate a kink in the lower portion, kinking outwards, forewords.. Why and When has always tickled me. I suspect to allow more access to the front PTO but nowhere has the redesign been explained and would add nicely to HydroHarry's very well explained note...... which is best copy-pasted to a folder of notes on CC's

Please OOm Kraig, AKA HydroHarry, can you shed some light...... Is the bonnet of the kinked versions longer or same length and what was the rationale to change the front design?

Actually Hydro Harry was the one with the headache, not me.

All the Originals that I know of have the same cast iron grill design. The 70/100 had a different design cast iron grill. Then a new design cast iron grill again for the 1x2/3. Then a new design for the 1x4/5 and 1x6/7 series, these both had the same cast iron grill design but the screen insert was different for each series, as were the head light surrounds. All the series listed up to here were narrow frame (Well, the Original is an odd one with regards to the frame.) The wide frame series started with the 1x8/9 series and again had a different design cast iron grill, the top grill portion was hinged rather than having the hood pivot on bolts. I believe at some point the lower grill was changed to cast aluminum, though this may have happened during the Quiet Line series, I'm sure Hydro Harry will be along shortly to correct me. And again the Quiet Line had a different grill design with the upper portion having no divider between the headlights. I believe that both the 1x8/9 and Quiet Line had cast aluminum upper grills. :drool2: The 82 series had cast aluminum grill frames.

Hydro, please correct where needed.

Original:

Original_Grill.jpg

70/100:

70-100 Grill.jpg

1x2/3:

1x2-3 Grill.jpg

1x4/5 (often referred to as the "Zig Zag") (Also, my favorite, though I don't care for the term Zig Zag when referencing it)

:slanttongue: :

1x4-5 Grill.jpg

1x6/7 (Note square head light bezels and verticle accents in the grill screen):

1x6-7 Grill.jpg

1x8/9:

1x8-9 Grill.jpg

Quiet Line:

QL Grill.jpg

82 Series:

82 Grill.jpg

Kraig - That's a great summary, complete with photos. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Gordon - Kraig answered the "when" part of your question, but the "why" is probably anybody's guess. My guess is that the styles changed for the same reasons that cars, clothes, home designs, etc change: Change sells! In the fashion industry, designers tell us every year that the old styles are out and we need to buy new styles of clothes. (Personally, I go out of my way to avoid following style trends - just ask my bride how old my favorite plaid, outdated, shirts are!) Cars change, in part, to improve performance, aerodynamics, etc, but (in my opinion) the primary reason is to sell more cars - most people want the latest style. I surmise that such human psychology is at least part of the reason for the grille changes. The changes also draw attention to the new model improvements that aren't readily visible on their own. Of course, that's just my two cents worth, and I was wrong that one other time... :roflol::roflol::roflol:

My guess as to why would be that IH did a lot of testing and would later implement many of the ideas/suggestions that arose from the testing. Here's a report from the Original prototype #409 testing. Some of the suggestions were implemented on later series. BTW, this Original was later purchased by the test engineer, it stayed in his family until the son posted on this forum about it, Paul Bell and I worked with him to figure out what he had. Paul then purchased it and refurbished it. Tim Delooza now owns it.

409_Report_01.jpg

409_Report_02.jpg

409_Report_03.jpg

409_Report_04.jpg

409_Report_05.jpg

Really good stuff going on here!... Kraig, like the pics and description of series - you should pin that post of yours along with the chart of serial numbers and pictures of locations they are found in the introduction / newbie section titled "What Cub do I have and when was it made".
I'd also pin it in the GT section as well since some people don't bother to visit the introduction section.

Might cut down a lot on redundant questions.
(I know I haven't been around here that long, I can't imagine how irritating it could be for members who've been around from early on) 🤣

Back