• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Camshaft replacement

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Baker

I broke the ACR tab on the camshaft of the K341 in my 1650. I can find used camshafts on line for K341's but the spec numbers don't match my spec number. It doesn't seem like there would be different camshafts for different spec numbers but I don't know. Does anyone know if any K341 camshaft will work in any other K341?

You will have to spend some time in the parts lookup site and compare part numbers to determine that.
Says right in the service manual not to bend those as they are hardened above a certain serial #

I didn't have much choice. The ACR wasn't working because the tab was either worn or bent. The electric starter won't turn engine against compression. Some early models had tabs that could be bent. I took a chance because I didn't know engine serial number. The stick on label was gone.
I still don't know why a camshaft would vary with spec numbers. I may be wrong but it seems internal parts are pretty much the same and spec numbers refer to external components that are related to the purpose the engine was built for. I never had to match spec numbers for pistons, rings, rods etc.

Jack, with David's blessing above, I should have one you can have it you want, but I can't check until Friday evening. I may even have a brand new spring for it.

Jack, I found one. It looks decent, but I took it out of a windowed engine that I picked up for salvage. I have no other history on it. I’m happy to ship it to you, and let you decide. I will also send the shaft it was on, but I did not find a new spring. What goes on at the end with the external machining? Is that for the points plunger? I will look somewhere else in the morning. I may have another. My reality is that neither one of them will fit in my KT17, and my K321 is NOS and I have no plans to start it, so I don’t see any need to keep one.

Oh yeah. It came from a K301 or a K321. I think it was a 321.

53FE7A16-CE53-4250-B7E9-71F1FEAD5EEF.jpeg
D1117EE6-B43E-4A07-976F-BD9A61F0A338.jpeg
D0548424-E12A-45A0-BC15-9DFB6B16C19F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jack, I found one. It looks decent, but I took it out of a windowed engine that I picked up for salvage. I have no other history on it. I’m happy to ship it to you, and let you decide. I will also send the shaft it was on, but I did not find a new spring. What goes on at the end with the external machining? Is that for the points plunger? I will look somewhere else in the morning. I may have another. My reality is that neither one of them will fit in my KT17, and my K321 is NOS and I have no plans to start it, so I don’t see any need to keep one.

Oh yeah. It came from a K301 or a K321. I think it was a 321.

View attachment 146939View attachment 146940View attachment 146941
Would love to have it. Will be glad to pay something for it plus shipping. I'm new to this site so I don't know how to share contact information, maybe you can help.

Jack, I sent you a PM asking for your address. Respond privately unless you want (more) spam going to yuor home mailbox...

I sent you another Jack. They both include my email and phone. I'm not sure if I somehow mistakenly chedcked the no replies box the first time.

Well while we have a engine thread my k341 has a knock. I can’t find anyone to make sure the crank journal’s are true or grind them. They will bore it if needed though. Do you just by a new crankshaft and buy the std connecting rod.

Can you still buy a new crankshaft??? I do have one for a 14. (But it’s surrounded by the rest of the NOS engine...)

Would love to have it. Will be glad to pay something for it plus shipping. I'm new to this site so I don't know how to share contact information, maybe you can help.

Jack, I got your contact info. I have benefitted from other members here. I am happy to pass along this favor. Maybe you will be able to pass along a favor to someone else in the future.

Jake,
Your knock may just be cam bushing related.
Drop the pan and check for proper clearance FIRST before further dis-assembly.
.005"-.010" in all the K series except for the K91 which is .005"-.020"

If your shop says they can bore a block they surely should be able to mic a crank and rod.
If they say they can't or worse yet, won't, I'd pick up my toys and split!! Just sayin'

Latest posts

Back