• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Calm before the storm

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, run the Jake brake while decelerating to a stop sign or light on a perfectly flat road 11 or 12 o'clock at night and families are trying to sleep and you're coasting for a 1/8 mile. Just 'cause you want to hear yourself.

72 A-body’s the Best. Compression was compromised. But everyone went .30 over on rebuilds and brought the compression up to 10:1 anyway. or more. Jeff Beautiful car

It's not the actual engine brake that's the issue it's all the Billy Big Riggers with the more than likely Illegal exhaust system mods that are the problem.

Many are the night I had to put up with that dam racket trying to get a decent nights sleep in a truck stop when one of those clowns pulled next to me and just had to run the engine at 1/2 throttle, for whatever reason I will never know, on a nice, perfect sleeping weather spring evening.

My rig (2015 Ram 3500) when using the engine brake, which BTW is very seldom, one can barely hear it when in use.

Does really come in handy though in the mountains when going down a long grade.

Rant over....

You're 100% right with that, more often than not the excessive sound comes from straight pipes instead of proper mufflers. Some people do it right, others don't. Add a Jake brake to a straight and it's even louder.

Our street runs parallel to NYS Interstate 90. Guy down the street who's been a trucker for ages recalls being woken up many times at 3am by someone on the interstate with their straight pipes and engine brake noise. And this sound has to travel across a quarter-mile of farm field!! Talk about LOUD!!

He gets up at 4 or 5 am when he makes his runs, but his truck (1997 Peterbilt 379) has proper mufflers, and I don't think I've ever actually been woken up by it.

83296C83-DBF8-4733-82F8-572E5B29356B.jpeg

Have not seen this in years. I’m 56. When i was ( 7 ) I remember people walking across river. Parking was hard to find. In the city. So people wold park on the other side of river and walk across. 1972 . That’s how could it use to get. That pic above. well. That was last week. It may be getting close to freezing totally.

Back