• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cadet 80 original equipment?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Kamm

Just acquired an 80, the data plate looks like it was messily stamped. Anyone have an opinion on what year it would be? Also does the engine seem correct? The reason I ask is because of the color. It runs good and fully functional, with the exception of not having a key or a kill switch. It should have a key that grounds out the wire that runs by the throttle linkage right?

Attachments

• FF2687D4-8264-4A0D-A284-9140D682B80F.jpeg
    FF2687D4-8264-4A0D-A284-9140D682B80F.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 7051D20A-4F2D-4BE1-B2BB-40F75DED12E4.jpeg
    7051D20A-4F2D-4BE1-B2BB-40F75DED12E4.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 1AE60800-9A0D-4721-ACF9-425D5410ECF6.jpeg
    1AE60800-9A0D-4721-ACF9-425D5410ECF6.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 178
  • BCD7211B-56E8-42F3-90FE-5BAC2AEA1233.jpeg
    BCD7211B-56E8-42F3-90FE-5BAC2AEA1233.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 170
Brad,that wire comes from the coil to an insulated post on your linkage.I can't see enough to tell but my guess is the throttle linkage should hit a post when completely closed on the back of the plate to ground it and kill engine.The old Briggs are quite simple.Someone else will have to tell if it's original or not...

The original engine would have been white, and electric start only, no recoil.

I believe they were only available as electric start.

Cadet_LT_1.jpg

Cadet_LT_2.jpg

Cadet_LT_2a.jpg

Cadet_LT_3.jpg

Cadet_LT_4.jpg

Cadet_LT_5.jpg

Cadet_LT_6.jpg

The one that I had briefly (back in the early 2000s) was only electric start. I believe that these were made in the late 1970's. IH made a special version of the Cadet 76 called the Spirit of 76 that had special red white and blue coloring for 1976.

Hydro80_001.jpg

Hydro80_002.jpg

Here's my SO76, unfortunately it has a replacement engine, they notched the hood to fit it in 😲 and it has a replacement seat. The original seat was white.

SO76_01.jpg

I think I will stay with the recoil start, engine starts easy and runs good, hydro is also in good shape. Maybe a paint job to dress it up a little. Thanks for the ads and pictures! Anyone have a blade made for these small Cadets?

I wish that whoever swapped out the engine in my SO76 would have installed an engine with a recoil start. It only gets occasional use and if it had the recoil I wouldn't have to mess with the battery. The engine in your 80 looks to fit perfectly.

I wish that whoever swapped out the engine in my SO76 would have installed an engine with a recoil start. It only gets occasional use and if it had the recoil I wouldn't have to mess with the battery. The engine in your 80 looks to fit perfectly.
I've overcome the battery issue with an old pressure washer cart and battery mounted on base.Jumper cables wrapped on handle.Because I 'm often waiting for parts batteries become a pita...These engines make their own spark so once it's running it's fine unless you have an elec. clutch attached..Just don't stall it out in the boondocks...I don't put in a new battery until it's ready for sale...

Yes the engine is a good fit, just needs to be painted to match. I’ll add a key switch to function as a kill switch. I like these Cadets because they are simple machines that are easy to work on. The hard part is finding any attachments other than a mower deck.

The only other available attachments would be a rear bagger, a dozer (snow) blade or a snowthrower. They didn't make any rear mount "ground engaging" attachments like a turning plow or a tiller. I didn't of course count trailing implements such as a trailer or sweeper. Aside from being easy to work on, they sure are cute!

Latest posts

Back