• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cadet 60 Restoration/Repower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsnyder

displayname
Don Snyder
I decided to restore and repower (apologies to the purists) a Cadet 60. The original engine which had performed well up to 2014 was just too far gone to revive, and no needed parts or engines with a camshaft takeoff were to be found. Equally rare were stories of repowering the Cadet 60. Hopefully this post will provide some inspiration to get some more of these fine little machines back into operational status.

The selected engine was a new Briggs and Stratton 121S12-2008-F1 which was shoehorned into the available space by some careful mounting plate trimming. To gain reverse capability, a Peerless 700-026 transmission was sourced from a local equipment company. While it mounted quite like the original transmission, several adaptations with available parts had to be made to accommodate the chain sprocket, parking brake, shift lever, pulley modifications, etc.

One of the requirements was for the mower to again return to regular service. The need for a brake became clear after unintentionally taking out a good part of the wife’s garden. The unused left side pedal was then rigged to activate the existing disc brake by pulling the caliper lever to the front, while the original parking brake is still applied by pulling the caliper lever to the rear. In hind sight, a second caliper would probably perform better, but the installed system is far better than nothing.

The final result was a mower that performs quite well with what seems like much better torque than the original, has an added forward gear, has a speed range extended beyond the original minimum and maximum speeds, and replacement of most of the hard to find wear items. Of course, the total cost was far higher than what most people would consider to be reasonable or prudent. But the “resto-mod” has been proven with about 4 years of regular use on a 1 ¼ acre lot.

Some pictures taken immediately following the work appear below.

324844.jpg

324845.jpg

324846.jpg

That came out very nice Don. Congrats on bringing one back to work again. Very clever too on the "upgrades"..

Exceptionally well done! I'm impressed....looks like it belongs on there!!!

That's really neat. You don't see too many of those around, especially functional ones. I agree with the others, it looks like it belongs that way.

Many thanks to all of you for the kind words. I’m starting to feel better about the money spent. Additional reasons for the restoration and expense include the mower being purchased new by my Dad in 1968, the ability to slip between and amongst trees and other obstacles on the lot, and the quality of construction of the original build. Plus, it was a fun project; and cutting grass almost becomes “recreational tractor riding”.

Don: First class! It's cute... and a worker! Resto-Mod, eh? We should see it in Hot Lawn Mowers Magazine
thumbsup.gif

Don-

Very nice! I always like hearing about and seeing cubs put back to work.

I had to take a second look and noticed the engine upgrade right away. It does look as if it belongs there.

Gosh, this brings back great memories. The Cadet 60 was the very first model I had an opportunity to use when I was finally old enough to mow grass by myself at age 8...my great grandfather had one. I still remember how he insisted on checking the oil level every time, and in time I acquired his ability to mow a long, straight swath in their large front yard. Many enjoyable hours of seat time indeed; it mowed beautifully. What a super nice job with this restoration...I'd love to see more of them in good working condition!

Latest posts

Back