• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Brinly plow

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Near the bottom of the standard assy. bar on a Brinly plow, there is a tab with a bolt through it. What is this bolt for? Here is a pic of that tab with no bolt.

DSCF0667.JPG plow1.JPG copy.JPG

That should be a bolt and square nut. It sets the width of cut . The plow was not set up correctly . Go to the Brinly website and read the manual on how to assemble the plow.

I don't have a plow but have been contemplating getting one so out of curiosity I read through the manual. The plow depth caught my eye at 5"-6" deep. Back in the day when we were still moldboard plowing on the farm, we were plowing at a depth 10"-12". The Brinley depth doesn't seem to be very deep in comparison, kind of like scratching the surface.

I don't have a plow but have been contemplating getting one so out of curiosity I read through the manual. The plow depth caught my eye at 5"-6" deep. Back in the day when we were still moldboard plowing on the farm, we were plowing at a depth 10"-12". The Brinley depth doesn't seem to be very deep in comparison, kind of like scratching the surface.
Plow depth is approx half the width of the plow. 10" plow approx 5 inches deep.

Back in the day on the farm we plowed with 4-16", in some area we did plow 8" deep others maybe deeper, on rocky knolls we maybe scratched the surface.

Apples and oranges man!
16 to 20 horse max compared to 100+ tractors. It ain't rocket science. (y)

This discussion reminded me of Mike Horn with his depth gauge at the Weekend Freedom Machine Spring Tillage Day 2003.

291825-jpg.14261

1/2 width of cut is correct.....plus a little 😁😁

The bolt and square nut are the landing adjustment and it helps keep the plow running straight and cutting a clean furrow. Fine in soft garden soil.....a little bit "all bets are off" in the big field.

My orange and tan tractor will pull the brinly deeper than the top of the moldboard in hard pan . The 72 about 5 inches.

I have an "old style" Brinly 8 inch plow, and it does not have that adjustment. :drool2:
Kraig,
Does your old style plow have one?

Thanks to everyone for all the info and input!!
Steve,
In a big field, I couldn't keep a straight line for that long, no matter how the plow was adjusted! :roflol:

Before anyone criticizes my remarks, remember I am plowing a garden with soft soil.
The 10 inch Brinly plow that I use in the garden does not have the adjustment screw in it. It plows straight, and I have gotten 8" deep furrows.
Out of curiosity, I am going to put the adjustment bolt and nut on it, and adjust everything according to the manual and see how it does.
Just not today, I'm too tired.

Here are some older pics of it plowing straight and deep. :errrr:
There is a little deviation toward the end, but that wasn't the plow, it was me. This is not a smooth field.

Straight:
DSCF9491.JPG straight.JPG

Notice the dirt rolled up to the top of the blade! Deep:
DSCF9497.JPG straight back.JPG

I think the crookedest furrow was the one at the Weekend Freedom Machine 2003 Spring Tillage Day:

184389.jpg

It's entirely possible that I'm to blame, I did have my old Allis Chalmer 620 with loader, which had REALLY sloppy steering. That's Charlie ahead of me on his 1450 and Steve Blunier following me on his 149.

184390.jpg

Marty, I will have to dig my plow out and have a look. It's at the farm.

Old 8" plows don't have landing adjustments

Marty, I think you would have better results moving the plow towards the furrow some.

IIRC, the manual states which which hole in the sleeve hutch to use as well as which way to place the hitch on the plow according to the width between the inside of the tires.

When that crookedness happens at a plow day I usually jump in and try to correct it as best possible.

Kraig,

That crook was from 30 people with misadjusted plows pulling in at the front, going 30 feet, then pulling out to fix issues.

Eventually some of us just started skipping ahead and got it straightened back out.....

That was a fun day, seems like forever ago, and the only time I've seen you plow!

Steve, I was joking about it being caused by me. I only plowed one or two rounds and that was early on, way before that got crooked. I more than likely have video proof. :D I had my Original out at a plow day a few miles North of my property, Osceola Plow Day put on by some of Art Aytay's students. That was around ten years ago already. I'm usually behind a camera not a steering wheel when at plow days.

It looks like someone may have been stopped and others drove around in this area. I'm going to have to dig out my video of this Spring Tillage Day and have a look to see if I captured anything from this area.

184389.jpg

Art snapped this photo of me at the Osceola Plow Day, June 2010. I didn't have the ag tires on the Original yet.

Osceola Plow Day_01.jpg

Osceola Plow Day was fun! Well they all are or were fun, I am sure I have made my fair share of crooked furrows.

I think Osceola was were I planted 4 front suitcase weights, plowed them under and never found them. I think I had 6 on the front, I saw the 5th fall off, and only found 1 of these 5.

Back