• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Brinly Plow

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgreenly

displayname
Ron Greenly
Hey guys, Gotta of the wall question so i figured this would be the place to ask it. How do you measure a Brinly Plow? I think i have a 12" from reading all the different ways to measure it.

Thanks,

Ron}

Note the example is a 14" plow but the method of measure for size of plow would be the same for any plow.

285672.jpg

Thanks Kraig! I could actually understand that. Well after viewing that, I now know i have a 10" plow. Thanks for the guidance Kraig. Now i just have to decide what i wanna do with it, keep it longer and not use it or sell it.

Rather than starting yet another new thread, I have decided to post this here. I purchased an apparently OLD Brinly 12" Cat 0 plow last night. It came up for sale locally and I've wanted one of these for a couple of years now. I just need to set up a tractor with a Cat 0 hitch now. LOL!!! I have never seen one like this in person before and the ONLY pic I could find last night in a quick internet search was from this site about 11 years ago in a 2003 thread. Any of you plow gurus that can fill me in on this, I'd be very appreciative...

291951.jpg

There seems to be a quite a bit of design difference between this plow and the later model that my cousin Mike picked up this summer. This model has a straight beam, a series of holes in the square tube that you mount the plow beam to, the mounting for the guide wheel is also different. I'd be interested in knowing some suppositions as to why they so aggressively changed the design. Thoughts? Modularity with the regular 12" Brinly? Costs? The new design functions better (I hope not!)?

291952.jpg

There is a fair amount of rust on this, however, it hasn't been used much. The share and moldboard are in great shape. Some of the fasteners are rusted badly and likely in need of replacing. The guide wheel and coulter turn freely. The small tags with the serial numbers are still on there and I'll post pics of those soon. Another question---What was the first Cub with a Cat 0 hitch on it? The owner of this thing inherited a bunch of stuff from his uncles barn when he passed. He said that he thought that his uncle used this plow on a Cub. Were the Supers the first Cat 0 tractors? How old do you think this plow is?

Kraig--do you have access to or in your archives a manual for this type of Cat 0 plow? What about any old advertising that might include a pic of this style plow?
1a_scratchhead.gif
dunno.gif

Have seen one. I think Robb Kruger had/has one. I'll look thru my briny stuff.

Here's some info courtesy of Myron Bounds. He sent the info and I got most of it scanned and sent back not to long before the fire, thank goodness!
I just need to get all that stuff loaded up on the manuals site!
291966.jpg

291967.jpg

291968.jpg

291969.jpg

The Cat 0 Josh has below look like Brinlys 1st attempt at a PP1200 plow and dates to the introduction of the JD 140.

291972.jpg

291973.jpg

291974.jpg

Thanks guys for all the information. Those brochure pics that Charlie posted are really old school. Is the PP 1400 plow a 14" bottom or was that just a model number? Apparently, JD had the Cat O early on as Did Case on their high wheel tractors. Wheel Horse had the GT 14 with Cat O as did Bolens on their HT series tractors. So, it would seem that Cub was the only "johnny come lately" to the this party. I suppose though that their "3 point" system was so functional and cheaper to produce that they didn't really see the need to take that next step as soon as the others. Thanks Steve for the shots from the old brochures.
thumbsup.gif

Josh,

Charlies pics are all of the Cat 1 stuff Brinly offered, and yes the "1400" is a 14".

I have the whole parts book somewhere....

IH was "Johnny come lately" because they offered the Cub Lo-Boy (154,185,184) and felt that they didn't need a SGT....naturally those customers would just buy a Lo-Boy. The Lo-Boy was retired shortly after the 982 came out, as it was a dated design that was being surpassed by the compact diesel sector of the market. Delayed cat 0 on the GT line was really due to "competition" with another IH product line. (Note: many of the manufacturers you mention above had nothing like a Lo-Boy, so they had to "upsize" their GT capabilities to compete for a similar market. To say that the late 70's and early 80's was "transitional" for the GT/SGT/Compact Diesel/Lo-Boy/AC 720, etc. would be a HUGE understatement!

FWIW, The AC 620 that I own was made in 1973. The Slightly newer AC 720 was basically, if not exactly, the same tractor just with an updated name.

Thanks Kraig.

It actually helps to show that companies that had "Lo-Boy sized" tractors (like the 620/720) didn't push the SGT style market early on.....didn't "need" to.....

I guess they made 'em for FORD as well. Here's oa 10" I picked up in MO last month. Still has just a trace of blue paint around the bolts. Wondering about the hitch, what would have been used to pull this with a hitch set up like this?

Gonna take some seat time to get this one cleaned up! Will try vinegar soaked towels first off. The mold board is pretty pitted though.

295405.jpg

295406.jpg

Dave go to one of our sponsors (Extreme Motor works),and order the part to hook to the Brinly adapter he has them.

Hit it with a flap wheel, then 120 sanding disk, then hand sand with 220 and penetrating oil. ......will make a HUGE difference in getting it scoured.

Latest posts

Back