• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

bringing home a 70 is a tad insane

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Making it a short story will be fairly simple...friendly discussion about cubs led to I have one in my shed that's quite old,hasn't run in 15 yrs and it's all there but the air cleaner... a deal is done....arriving home ,rear tires are flat,1 front doesn't turn, but.. jumpers to s/g and it turns over just fine and it is the original 7hp kohler..I can hear suction when cranking so just maybe the engine is good...(darn no spark certainly didn't expect it)....It is rough to say the least but how do you say no to a really old cub? maybe a gal of pb blaster can make a difference...

Attachments

• 100_1570.JPG
    100_1570.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 100_1569.JPG
    100_1569.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_1571.JPG
    100_1571.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
There's a 100 near me in similar condition that I keep feeling myself pulled toward...then my bride pulls me back.

Gary,
Way to go! Nice find.
Positive observations:
I see an original 7hp style muffler on it. take care of that rarity.
There is also an implement lift bracket for front mounted implements.
Rear fenders with maybe oem reflector brackets.
Appears to be a wire bail for implement float position on the lift handle top.
Two sets of rear wheels.
Original battery hold down bolts.
Wonder why the key switch is on the left side of the dash?
How does the inside of the gas tank look?
The downside:
The tunnel has been cut out, but could be fixed. Not the original seat, but can be replaced. :bluethumbsup:
And please turn the hood pointer around to the correct position! :roflol: It is supposed to point!

nice find. and a good start for a major resto. total tear down would be my approach. it would probably take me all winter to get that one in proper shape but that series of cubs is my favorite. i have yet to find a 70 but would jump on that one for the right price.

Marty, my wife passed a few yrs ago but she would probably done the hands on the hip look for a little while...gas tank,very bad but I have one,lift handle not moveable yet,pto rod rusted off,key location new to me, the 70 is totally new to me but do recognize an oem engine, red is missing from fender reflectors,all 4 rear tires split open($??) but duals look possible,gear shift seems to move ok,it actually turns reasonable by steering,...Is serial no. cast into right side below frame?? no other visible..Roger, I have not enough room to strip and resto but at least for now it's been rescued..Brad,you said blank canvas,you do have an imagination.....Jim,just buy it she won't notice,have it delivered when you take her out to dinner....

Gary,
I remember you posting about your wife, still sorry to hear that. I was trying to convince Jim to get the 100. Pretty clever about the dinner scheme. Just make sure they put it out of sight behind a building or somewhere. :errrr:
Yes, the serial # would be on the right side of the tranny on the casing, or on the small raised block on the tranny.
Spray some PB down in the lift handle periodically to help get it loosened up. Eventually it will free up, just be patient. The key switch should be on the dash to the right of the push button start switch. Your key switch looks like it is in the place where the light switch goes.

Inked019 (2).jpg

You may already know this, If you store it outside, DO NOT put a tarp over it. It will rust like crazy under a tarp or similar item. That holds the moisture/condensation under it. You would be better to just leave it out in the open.

Last edited:
I notice that you deftly side-step the cost and distance travelled for your.... gem.:rolleyes:

For my part, if the trip is short, or pretty, or there's something else to see on the way, or I miss driving, or it's a Wednesday.... distance is a non-starter.
Runing? Not running? Is there air enough in the tires to get it on the trailer? Doggone it! these things push so easy as to rule THAT out of decision making equation taking.
Cost? Is it high? Is it low? Is it even worth the trouble?..... "Say now, just LOOK at the value of all of those PARTS!"

In the end, this quest of yours serves the Manly Arts & Intents of use of a trailer, trailering a TRACTOR and the implication of *handiness* surrounding the state of the tractor.
Too, it demonstrates your confidence and vision for what it could be!

Out of curiosity, is that step-up on the frame forward the shifter normal?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!" Thanks to Red for that one.

On another note;
I have a guaranteed remedy to make the wife get over you buying a cub.
Buy a couple more, and she will forget all about the previous one! :cubwinker: :roflol:
Buy enough of them, and she will not even complain anymore!
"That... no, that's not new. We've always had that one!"

The important conversational fulcrum here is "we've".

marty, I started the pb treatment today..got the clutch pedal to move it moved on shaft as well.. cleaned and set points ..too much going on to try for spark today,push button on handle was tapped down carefully...worked on a similar one last week and drilled a very small hole in housing then shot it with pb many times,that worked on that one . this coil says external resistor,any advice I don't see one...the deck handle does have a wire loop you mentioned (??) the undercarriage frame is set up so handle won't move yet...I know about tarps also...po found original air cleaner cover.....Todd, "it ran when I parked it",,I liked the fulcrum.....Mike I would bookmark if I knew how,guess I need to talk to daughters.they know all this "stuff"....This forum has given reasons and the method to share a lifetime of experience with others and certainly appreciate others sharing with me....I know a lot about mowers but little about older cubs,because of their quality they inspire me...LOve saving old iron..

No spark plug for 15years...id put a little trani fluid or marvel mystery oil or... Any lube in the cylinder. Loosen up the rings and it'll help clean up the cylinder when you do get to cranking

. this coil says external resistor,any advice I don't see one...Mike I would bookmark if I knew how,guess I need to talk to daughters.they know all this "stuff"....LOve saving old iron..
You should be able to get an external ignition resistor at any local parts house, Dodge/Chryslers ran them for decades. But for testing / test runs, you can run as is. You can feel the coil exterior and shut it down once it gets hot to the touch. Up the top of your screen you should see the address bar. On the right side of it is a star, when you are in the FAQ's at the very first page,click the star and it'll ask you if you want to save the address, Click on yes! then that address will always be in your saved bookmark list of websites. HTH :cool:

Today the 57 yr old engine fired and ran for a few seconds on carb cleaner...Testing found 25 # on comp. so the head was pulled..Intake valve was held open by insect parts (lots)..this happens because it was sitting with no air cleaner and the choke open,they love dark places...Head bolts were way too loose and 1 broken..Put it back together after cleaning ,tightened bolts a bit and suddenly I have 70# comp. so I just had to hear it fire..so there is serious hope this engine is good ...I did get the lift lever and undercarriage moving with lots of PB and patience...It is starting to feel like a project,like I need more...

Back