• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

BOONE IOWA PLOW DAY APRIL 25,2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhomrighausen

displayname
Marlin Homrighausen
BOONE, IOWA SATURDAY APRIL 25, 2009

LUNCH AVAILABLE ON GROUNDS

Highway 30 is a four lane highway and the Racetrack is easily spotted from the highway.

I just found out about this event yesterday afternoon and was able to visit with one of the gentlemen putting it on. A couple of other Forum members are helping to gather info on this so as we get it it will be posted here.

Yes, it is somewhat short notice however it should be a lot of fun. The event is really just getting itself started. There will be plowing with antique FULL size tractors and possibly some plowing with horses. I asked about letting garden tractors particiapte and the response was MOST DEFIFINiTELY!!!

Right now the field is shredded cornstalks. The majority of the stalks have blown away. There is a possibility of a bean field being available for the garden tractors though. The gentleman was going to see if a bean field would be available for the garden tractors. Nothing certain on that. More info will be posted as soon as we find out.

For now would it be possible for those interested to post here if they are planning on plowing or just coming to watch. This will help with the lunch services, etc.

Marlin

count me in with a buddy of mine and at least 2 tractors
can't wait to turn some central Iowa black soil over

I just remembered that there are Motels available in Boone only I can't remember which ones.

Marlin, Hampton(Amerihost) and Super8 are right across the road from the racetrack! Hoping to hear later in the week on the bean field options. Sounds like fun!!!

I received an e:mail this morning with a little more info.

<font color="0000ff">Start Time Around 8:00 A.M.

Spectators are welcome and also can use ATV's and carts or scooters as long as they stay out of the way and keep the speed to slow.

There are nearby local restaurants however a food stand will be on the grounds.

Also there will be help with parking.</font>

Field report: I plowed a couple of rounds tonite in the plow field with my 782. I had no traction issues and maintaining a slower pace had very little issues with corn stalk trash. It was a bit wet tonite, but should dry up and be managable for plowing with the right plow adjustments. I'm no expert, and I know a lot of you have this down to a science, but I think it should be a fun day none the less for those who choose to take the challenge of a corn field. At this time, the bean field is not an option. Hope this helps some folks decide on whether or not to make the trip to Boone. I will enjoy plowing with who ever shows up!!! PS. a little weight on the plow may be good. Questions - feel free to call me 515-298-1490 or the event host!

Boys

looking forward to plowin this weekend any idea how many garden tractors there will be ???

Rob D. There probably won't be a whole lot of us there. This is the first time that garden tractors will be part of the plowing. Gilbert which is just north of Ames is supposed to have a Plow Day only haven't heard any more about it. I think there may be a Fall Plow Day or two around these parts. I'll have the summer to do some checking. Plus there is a possibility of a Fall Plow Day being hosted in eastern Iowa (north of the Quad City area) if there is enough interest.

I do know that everyone is invited to the MOW DAY EVENT in Ankeny.

<font color="119911"><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica">First Annual Central Iowa Mow and Trade Day
</font></font>

<font color="0000ff">May 9th, 2009
Ankeny, Iowa
Free Admission! Free Parking!</font>

Schedule
9:00am- Grounds Open/Unloading/Trade-Swap Meet
10:30am-Main Event, All Tractors Mow Together 12:00pm- Lunch, Open Mowing
1:00pm- Group Photo 1:30pm- Tractor Games
3:00pm- Loading/Thanks and Goodbyes

Directions: Mow Day 2009 will be hosted at Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) located in
Ankeny, Iowa. The event is on a 140+ acre site minutes away from the north I80/I35 interchange.
Selling will take place at 9:00am! Venders are encouraged to set up at 8:30am.

We'll start off mowing with a couple acres around 10:30am. Please set your mowing height to 2.5
inches. We'll mow for a couple hours and enjoy grilled brats/hamburgers, chips, and soda. Donations
are welcomed. Lunch will be followed by a group picture and tractor games. There will be awards for
the slowest and fastest Garden tractors (hp divisions).

Matt Harbert (Event Director) will determine if a rain date is necessary 16 hours prior to the start of
the event to allow time to cancel hotel arrangements for out of state participants. The Rain Date will
be the following Saturday, May 16th. Please check for cancellations at:
http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/2559/422683.html?1237645045

RSVP encouraged by May 3rd via email. Tell your buddies! The more the better! All colors welcomed!
[email protected]
[email protected]

I know that this event was not originally intended for our audience and participation, but who ever can make it would be greatly appreciated. And it would certainly show our interest to the organizers for future events here with bean ground etc! I think I've heard a bout a dozen mabey more! Thanks all!

Thanks Jeff for expressing those thoughts for me. I've visted a couple times with one of the organizers and he is very excited to see plowing done with garden tractors. I truly don't know who will all be participating. I do know that I promised to keep secret what tractor Rob D. is bringing. (Rob, I promise to not take any pictures of you on Saturday. However, Angel is going to do her best to show up....
biggrin.gif

I'm going to try and have the 782D, Keepsake 1650 and the 125 there with plows. Right now I have a way to trailer two of them with #3 going on the Dakota.

Marlin go ahead and take pics of me on the secret tractor I'm real proud of how it turned out ...Just hope it will play nice with Jeffs 782 on friday nite

Rob D. You should be proud of that little tractor. It is one sweet looking little machine.
happy.gif
They are going to let us plow Friday night? I may be over then for a few rounds.

I didn't get many pictures and most of those I did take didn't turn out very good. It started out with a few sprinkles and then intermintent rain for awhile. There were seven garden tractors at Boone's 1st Plow Day. Two John Deere (one was Rob D.'s 140 (sweet little tractor), I can't remember Mike (help me with his last name , Jeff) other newer JD model number with four wheel drive and a cab. Pat Zeroth had his AC 414, Mike Beadle's Original, Mike Caruth's 149, Jeff Sandegren's 782, and my 782D. I took the Keepsake 1650 onnly never unloaded it since the driver wasn't sure that he could make it. We met for breakfast at Golden Corral. While dining a couple of cars and trucks circled the lot looking over the tractors. Afterwards Rob D. provided some young fellas with some info about the WeekendFreedomMachines site.

At the site some big vintage tractors were plowing. We soon noticed they were experiencing the same problems we encountered.... wet cornstalks. Rob was first out. After some tweaking, removing the coulter and adding some weight we were off and plowing. The soil is Webster clay, thick and black. At times the plow would go great and the next you'd hit a spot that would literally bury the plow. The there would be a hard spot of soil. The weight was necessary to help keep the plow in the ground.

It was a blast however and throughout the day we kept hearing the same comments, "I didn't know that garden tractors could even plow. You guys are doing alright with those little tractors." Etc. There were cars and trucks literally pulling off the highway to watch the garden tractors plow.

Anyway,Rob D. should have some good pictures.here are the ones that I managed to take.

After breakfast out in the set parking lot (What do you think? Should we go or not?")
150413.jpg

Our designated area
150414.jpg

I can't seem to get the rest of the camera pics to show up. I took these with the camera phone. They aren't as clear. I'll work on the rest in the morning.

This is what the ground looked like before Tom Flynn, of Boone took his tiller out and chopped up the stalks a bit for us. (Thank You, Tom.)
150422.jpg

Pat's Allis with the weights.
150423.jpg

Last round of the day.
150424.jpg

Since Pat and I were the last two plowing the odds of winning the Door Prize were really narrowed down. A really sweet 12" three point hitch Brinly followed us home. (Now I can try it out see what all the fuss is about those critters being so hard to plow with. I do know the A frame on the 782D didn't plug up once from being too low. The plow would plug up however after removing the coulter and then plowing a little deeper sure helped stop that problem.)
150425.jpg

We wish to thank Dewell Hollingsworth and his team for letting us participate in their first (and definintely not last) Plow Day. We've been invited back and are looking forward to being there again.

Thanks everyone for coming and plowing! I think all things considered we had a lot of fun. I have to appologise for not having a single photo to share, my bad! Thanks Marlin for the photos!!! Rob may have some to post I think? My friend's name was Mike Maxwell, and yes, he got to make that last round with the windshield wiper goin!!! Again, it was very nice to meet and plow with everyone! See you all at the next event!!!

Unloading the Allis.

150468.jpg

Getting started.

150469.jpg

Had to add weight since spots of the field were hard and the plow would literally come out of the ground. Even the big tactors had that problem. This also helped to slice through the corn roots. We adapted some of the following method quoted in the FAQ section... (quote;
If your plowing sod with one of the Brinly plows all bets are off. You may need to raise or remove the coulter and "lock" the sleeve hitch swing adjustments just to keep the plow in the ground. More point is usually required too.)

150470.jpg

Here is the section after we were finished.
150471.jpg

Back