• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Bolts

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsdeese

displayname
timothy deese
Does anyone here have their bolts zinc plated or use stainless steel bolts in their restorations

I replated some for a restoration a few years ago. I did it myself but there are places that can do that, too. Stainless bolts are a no-no...the ones you buy at the hardware store are about the same strength as a grade 2 ordinary steel bolt.

Tim, if you look in Matt's tag line there's a link to his website. Once you get to his website, if you look at the menu on the left side of the page he has a link to his zinc plating info.

Oops, forgot to come back and reply but I see Kraig beat me to it.

The bad news is that one of the chemicals needed for my DIY solution is no longer available for purchase by the common man.

Matt, which chemical is no longer available to purchase?

Zinc Chloride.

I was able get both the Zinc Chloride and Ammonium Chloride on Amazon back in 2009. There is still Zinc Chloride being sold there, but not in the small amounts needed. I have not recently tried an exhaustive internet search for it lately. It may be out there, but the last time I checked, it was not.

Go to Caswell and check out their products. I had great results using their plating kit when I restored a Haban 374 a few years ago. These caster brackets were zinc plated and then dunked in the yellow chromate as they did when they left Haban.
https://www.caswellplating.com/

Hit up YouTube also as there is a bunch of info there too.

You will need a transformer and some other materials but my kit worked awesome. Let me know if anyone is interested and I will start a thread.

324882.jpg

Back