• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

boil hydro .. can of worms hi hi

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Black

what say you on boiling off water form hydro fluid ???
no idea how i found it on utubbers..
some use the water heater element at 120v . stuck in a tank of some sorts... to boil off the water..

ok ready set goooooooo...... hahhahah

Seems like a lot of mess and work for questionable results. Over time, the other additives degrade, in addition to taking on moisture..
Just buck up and buy 7 qts. of it every few years and it will be fine..
if it was that easy..... when you have 4 or more tractors. 10 gallons or more ... lol might be cabin fever kicking in hahha

We boil water off what skims out of our wash tanks at work, leaving our quench oil behind to reuse. We heat it to 225⁰ and keep it agitated, tank is about 50 gallons I believe.
On a farm, it might be beneficial for say large tractors that the fluid is pretty fresh, but as 1811 said, I'd be concerned with stuff in the fluid breaking down over the span of time. Also, you'd have to check if that high of heat would have any impact on the fluid or anything in it. 🤔

Yes, that would be a fair amount of Hytran. 4 tractors at 7 qts each is 28 qts or 7 gallons. You can get a 5 gallon pail of it for $103 plus tax or 2.5 gallon jug for $56. Some retailers offer a gallon jug roughly $23. Best deal is a 30 gallon barrel or around $500. An OEM filter is around $15 each.

HY-TRAN OIL - 2.5 GAL

HY-TRAN OIL - 1 GAL

HY-TRAN OIL - 5 GAL

HY-TRAN - 30 GAL DRUM
You can get a match to it at parts store and I do 5 gals buckets, after three years the ph gets to high, just like antifreeze does also !!!!

When I changed the hydro oil, Scrape the old gasket from the housing, then I used aerosol non chlorinated brake cleaner to flush out all areas inside the diff and wiped down with lint-free rags. Replace the filter, then with a new gasket put the cover back on. Refill with approximately 7 qts. of fluid, then test unit. It might be a bit noisier at first until all air is expelled from the unit.

Fluid just run out!Look like has water in it !Can you just put new in?
i can and will be.
just tossed this idea out. to see if done and if worked good..
i wont get into or start the whos hydro fluid to use. thats a can of worms not for me. hahahhaha

I get tickled when I see guys posting that they change Hy-tran every couple years!
I think it's been going on 18 years since I changed it in my 1450.
Plus the big tractors I have has not been changed since the mid to late 70's. Go figure! :drool2:

I get tickled when I see guys posting that they change Hy-tran every couple years!
Plus the big tractors I have has not been changed since the mid to late 70's. Go figure! :drool2:
hy trans yah i can see it in there for a long time...
but iam not opening that can of worms hahhahah with the 60 bucks a pale stuff hahhahhaha

i can say this. orig 127. the bottom of the diff had white goo. so iam guessing the hytrans did its job. keeping the water out of the oil .. oil was still fairly clean. if i had to say.. if could afford hytrans . i would do a filter depending on useage. maybe every 2 years change filter out. top off fluid. or each year if thing never stops moving. so on .. all depends on useage.. at least i would think..

Just curious..what is the factory recommended change interval (time or hours) for the hydro unit? Every single one of my tractors appeared to have the original filter and fluid in then when I purchased them, so they hadn't been touched in 30-40 years. All had moisture in the fluid.

I just changed hydro and filter on a 1975 1650 with 600 hrs.The oil looked so good I ran it thru 2 paint filters.Dumped the filter in a black pan and near zero flashes of metalics,no magnetics...so of course I put the same oil back in it with an extra qt and new filter. The #2 owner said it had never been changed..It is running and working fine...Have to admit I was seriously impressed....

Since transmission fluid is not exposed to combustion (like the engine oil) you should be able to change the filter and top it off indefinitely. Wear metal is the only impurity unless you drown it in the lake. Hy Trans is like embalming fluid, it’ll last forever. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It helps to wipe down the inside and remove the gummy stuff also and always check the suction tube screen, and vent in the fill tube head (dipstick) !!!!!
A lot of people don’t think of a fluid it builds up a Positive and negative in its movement in the system, that creates the pH level of acid in the liquids, oils, coolant, hydraulic fluids, all do it, learned that in Cat School In my second failure analysis training class !!! You have to test liquids for ph levels if your going to run a long time or it will ruin the metal by creating a heavy acid buildup into the metal, metal is very Porous and is structurally like a sponge !!!

A lot of people don’t think of a fluid it builds up a Positive and negative in its movement in the system, that creates the pH level of acid in the liquids, oils, coolant, hydraulic fluids, all do it, learned that in Cat School In my second failure analysis training class !!! You have to test liquids for ph levels if your going to run a long time or it will ruin the metal by creating a heavy acid buildup into the metal, metal is very Porous and is structurally like a sponge !!!
This is even what get the ships in the Navy while I was in USN they had electric devises to counter the affect and certain metal disintegrating bars strategically put on the ship on the edge of it along the water line and at the bottom of the hull !!!

Back