• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Blower fitment

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Fetters

IHCC Supporter
I have a 1650 with the qa42a blower. And I have read that this blower fits the x82 series tractors as well. And I have read that the 450/1 blower fits the x82 series, but I haven't seen anywhere that the 450/1 will fit the quite lines. And that is my question, will the 450/1 blower fit the q/l series, if so, what modifications, if any, need to be performed?

Screenshot_20220124-084618_Chrome.jpg
I'm guessing that this bracket is needed, and that may be the only hurdle to jump. Next step will be a trip to get the 450.

What blower do you have? a 450 or a 451, there is a difference in the gear box gearing.
Also you do not need that bracket.

Here are some service bulletins when mounting a 450, 451, and 551.

Attachments

• scan of 450,451,551 service bulletins.pdf
    476.1 KB · Views: 183
I don't have either blower yet. Houtz has a 450 listed for sale that I'm thinking about purchasing. But I wanted to know what all was involved for the install to a ql tractor. I have an xt2 with the 3 stage blower, and I tell myself all the time that if I could put that blower on the 1650, I would have an unstoppable snow removal machine. I think the 450/1 blowers would be a TON closer to the capability of the 3 stage than the qa that I have now. And living in the Michigan's upper peninsula, I average 4 hours a week blowing snow from early December to mid March. With snow events earlier and later in the year. I am aware of the gear box difference between the two, but if I find a 451, then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. But for now, I am focused on the 450 that Houtz has.

Hi Jay, I have two 450 blowers. The 450/451 blowers are not designed for the QL's and older models. They use a larger "B" section v-belt and the QL's and older use an "A" section belt.

I did purchase my second blower from someone that converted it over to work on their 1650. They changed the idler sheaves and cut out a new pair of lift links and welded a piece of steel to the top of the lift shaft and bracket on the blower to use the pull to lift function The side panel on the right side had to be removed otherwise the lift rod would damage the side cover. I did bolt it up to my 1650 and was going to use it in the snow but had trouble with keeping the "A" v-belt on while lifting and lowering the blower. The blower also would not float on the ground. Basically down was as low as it would go and if you encountered a dip it would not drop to compensate for the dip.

Since he gave me everything to change it back over; in the spring that is what I did. I ground off the piece that was added on for the lift and changed the larger idler sheaves back over to the factory lift links and will use it on another 82 series sometime. I give the guy credit for the attempt and that he didn't hack it up to make it work.

I do see from the parts look up under 1650 attachments they did make a 364 two stage blower that will work. An IH design and probably a CCC design. I think these might be a little hard to find. They also list Haban single stage throwers. I'd like to get one to compare to the QA's. I've seen a few for sale in my area but they were missing parts.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 223558.jpg

I believe the 451 is the same as the 450 with the exception of the gear box like Ipalma said. The 450 is designed for the tractors with a 4.5" diameter electric clutch sheave. The 451 is designed to be used with later model tractors with the 6" diameter electric clutch sheave. The gear box on the 451 has a slower gear ratio to compensate for the difference in speed and torque from the larger 6" diameter sheave.

Hi Jay, I have two 450 blowers. The 450/451 blowers are not designed for the QL's and older models. They use a larger "B" section v-belt and the QL's and older use an "A" section belt.

I did purchase my second blower from someone that converted it over to work on their 1650. They changed the idler sheaves and cut out a new pair of lift links and welded a piece of steel to the top of the lift shaft and bracket on the blower to use the pull to lift function The side panel on the right side had to be removed otherwise the lift rod would damage the side cover. I did bolt it up to my 1650 and was going to use it in the snow but had trouble with keeping the "A" v-belt on while lifting and lowering the blower. The blower also would not float on the ground. Basically down was as low as it would go and if you encountered a dip it would not drop to compensate for the dip.

Since he gave me everything to change it back over; in the spring that is what I did. I ground off the piece that was added on for the lift and changed the larger idler sheaves back over to the factory lift links and will use it on another 82 series sometime. I give the guy credit for the attempt and that he didn't hack it up to make it work.

I do see from the parts look up under 1650 attachments they did make a 364 two stage blower that will work. An IH design and probably a CCC design. I think these might be a little hard to find. They also list Haban single stage throwers. I'd like to get one to compare to the QA's. I've seen a few for sale in my area but they were missing parts.

View attachment 147647

I believe the 451 is the same as the 450 with the exception of the gear box like Ipalma said. The 450 is designed for the tractors with a 4.5" diameter electric clutch sheave. The 451 is designed to be used with later model tractors with the 6" diameter electric clutch sheave. The gear box on the 451 has a slower gear ratio to compensate for the difference in speed and torque from the larger 6" diameter sheave.
Boy, that's a lot of good info. Especially appreciate you sharing your first hand experience. I've been looking for a 364 for some time now, but they seem to be unobtainable.

I appreciate the info Curt, but I am done with the single stage. It just doesn't get the job done. It won't throw the snow far enough this late in the season. And it's a7 hour trip to grand rapids and 6 hours to eau claire. I found an 1862 cyclops down near Saginaw, with a blower, and deck. It's still a six hour drive, but I really like the cyclops machines, and I've never had one. I think what I'm gonna wind up doing is buy the 450 blower from Houtz, and this cyclops. That way I still got two blowers to use while I figure out the 450 install onto my 1650. Then I'll have the cyclops for primarily snow removal, the 1650 will become my tiller tractor/ toy, my xt2 will be my mower and backup snow blower, and the 185 loboy can undergo a much needed refurbishment.

I understand. The Cyclops have always been my favorites also. They get a bad rap about the failure of the hood and side covers but the five I have owned never had any issues. And I don't baby them. My current 2284 is probably the best Cub I've ever owned.

I appreciate the info Curt, but I am done with the single stage. It just doesn't get the job done. It won't throw the snow far enough this late in the season. And it's a7 hour trip to grand rapids and 6 hours to eau claire. I found an 1862 cyclops down near Saginaw, with a blower, and deck. It's still a six hour drive, but I really like the cyclops machines, and I've never had one. I think what I'm gonna wind up doing is buy the 450 blower from Houtz, and this cyclops. That way I still got two blowers to use while I figure out the 450 install onto my 1650. Then I'll have the cyclops for primarily snow removal, the 1650 will become my tiller tractor/ toy, my xt2 will be my mower and backup snow blower, and the 185 loboy can undergo a much needed refurbishment.
No way will that 1650 handle a 450 blower! Be prepared to add no less than 200 pounds to the rear if you try it.

No way will that 1650 handle a 450 blower! Be prepared to add no less than 200 pounds to the rear if you try it.
I have 55lbs on each wheel, a box that I made out of 1/4 inch plate steel that weighs 60lbs, and I fill that with about 100lbs of brake rotors. Would you think I need to add more or would that suffice for the bigger blower? Are there any other areas of concern, other than weight? Or do you think I'm crazy and should scrap the idea and just get another tractor that was designed for the 2 stage?

I have 55lbs on each wheel, a box that I made out of 1/4 inch plate steel that weighs 60lbs, and I fill that with about 100lbs of brake rotors. Would you think I need to add more or would that suffice for the bigger blower? Are there any other areas of concern, other than weight? Or do you think I'm crazy and should scrap the idea and just get another tractor that was designed for the 2 stage?
You also ain't got enough horses/torque under the hood. (y)

I understand. The Cyclops have always been my favorites also. They get a bad rap about the failure of the hood and side covers but the five I have owned never had any issues. And I don't baby them. My current 2284 is probably the best Cub I've ever owned.
I've also heard of electrical gremlins in them, but I would imagine those have been worked out, seeing how we are coming up on those beauties being 30 years old.

You also ain't got enough horses/torque under the hood. (y)
Hmm... guess I just assumed she would do it since it's not far behind the 782, but twins put out differently than a single. That's it, I'm buying a cyclops! The 1650 will be a summer machine and you'll sell me more parts for the cyclops. I guess it's a win for everybody!

Back