• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Big Mower Decks- Opinions???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstertz

displayname
joshua donald stertz
Guys,
I'm currently running a late model 54" deck on my 1772. It does a real nice job cutting and the tractor handles it fine. However, a late model 60" deck just came up for sale locally and I'm interested in it. The seller claims it is a Woods deck made for the Cub Cadet Supers. Is this info correct and if so-- Are these good decks? Do they do a good job cutting the lawn? How would it compare with my current deck for quality? How difficult is it to get parts and are they more expensive? Does anyone know what one of these 60" decks cost new?

Any info or first hand experience would be much appreciated before I make a decision.

Josh,I have two a 60'' decks one on my 1872 and one on the 2084 I just got.They both run very smooth for as big as they are.I don't have great grass but the cut is nice and it goes pretty quick .Knock on wood I have had no trouble with them and keep them both well greased .Make sure you get all the mounting hardware mine have plates that bolt to the frame .

Art - Usually wider decks don't cut as good as narrower decks. You must have had some awfully bad decks in the past ...

Push mowers cut the best but Kathy said it's to hard for her to push when I'm sitting on it ... <font size="-2">I need a younger woman</font>

Ken, is this something like it?
err.gif

226885.jpg

Ken-
I'd agree with the "narrow deck = better cut" concept, but this thing has been set up correctly (or at least "good enough" for me) from the start, and since it's built so D**M tough, there's no chance of twisting the deck and throwing it out of adjustment when the wife accidentally "love taps" the concrete pad out behind the garage like there was with previous decks.

<font size="-2">(P.S. We all need a "younger woman", that's why I sometimes call her my "1st wife". She doesn't like that very much though...LOL!)</font>
bottom.gif

Wow! This is great guys- insights on decks and marriage all in one thread! I found out the deck was off a 2284. Will that mount directly to my 1772? It comes with all mounting brackets(mule drive) and belt.
Allen-I need to get a mower like that-much cheaper to maintain and I suppose a good source of exercise!

Joshua-

You may need to switch the drive pulley on the deck, as the 2284 likely has a larger diameter PTO clutch than the earlier models.

As Matt said the 2284 has a 6" PTO. They have two pulleys for the 60 Habans. If you need the older pulley I have one. I put an older Haban on my 2182 and changed the pulley.

I finally purchased a 60" Haban that was off an 1872. It came with all the mounting hardware including the frame plates and stabilizer. I have a question though about the setup of the deck and the deck belt covers. I'm going to mount this thing on my diesel CubKub. First, are these decks meant to free float like the other decks with the wheels just skimming the ground or are the wheels meant to carry the weight of the deck completely with the hanger primarily to lift it for transportation? Second, while turning the center pulley I noticed a strange scraping sound. I removed the two diamond tread plate covers and noticed that the pulleys were lightly rubbing on the bottom side of the covers. Is there anything that I might be missing that is allowing that tight of a clearance issue? I can't imagine that it is a good thing to have that cover rubbing directly on the pulley. I also noticed that the belt appears to be just slightly dragging on the c shaped bracket that locks under the tabs opposite the bolted end of the belt cover. Any help in resolving these issues before I put this thing into service would be much appreciated.

Congrats on your new 5-footer! I just recently put a 60" Haban under my 2072. I think deck setup is similar to ordering pizza, everybody has a different taste and opinion of perfect.

I personally have mine set so that the rear wheels are "floating" in the cut grass and the front casters are holding up the front of the deck with a good amount of weight on them. I found that without casters on the rear and just pushing the deck around with the mule drive/deck support, was really making turning full sharp hard and was tweaking my deck support. So holding some of the weight on the tractor makes for the float I was used to with my 50" and 42" decks.

As for the belt covers, I noticed that my 60" will NOT slide between the tires to install like my smaller decks. So driving over it is the only option. This over time will bend the belt covers. I recommend bending or "adjusting" the covers so there is no rubbing anywhere.

Nic--Thanks for the info. Right now I have my deck set floating with the front casters just about touching the ground and the rears up one hole from the fronts.

Who else on the forum here is cutting regularly with the BIG 60?

I enjoy this deck a lot so far. The conditions were perfect on Saturday here and I cut my whole acre and a half in three minutes over an hour which is about 25 minutes faster than I was with my 50" deck. I like the 50 but this 60 is a tank. I'm just curious how many others are using these regularly. Also are there things that I need to watch for as far as wear parts go? It seems like a lot of weight hanging under that tractor!

Never used a 60", but I have a couple of late model 54" decks........VERY good mowing deck, and I'm particular about deck performance!!! I actually have one shoehorned under a 782 (26" rubber and super steer axle) for my son to mow with and I use my 365L ZTR with the same 54" deck.

Don't let that 54" get too far away.....

I will agree that the late model 54" decks do a great job of cutting. My only major complaint with mine was how fast it would "load up" with grass if the grass was even slightly damp. I make it a practice to try to cut when things are dry but sometimes I don't have a choice. I think there was a couple of times I cleared nearly a five gallon pail of packed muck out of that thing. The Haban seems to do a better job of staying clear but I'm still not sure if I like the cut quality as much.

Jeremiah-- You'll have to make two little opening doors that will allow a bigger deck attached to your 782 to drive right in!!!
clappy.gif
Open the larger doors, then two little doors to clear the deck! OK just kidding...

Anyone else running a 60 for regular mowing duties
1a_scratchhead.gif
dunno.gif

I mow with a 60" haban on my 2072. I think it leaves a better finish than my newer 2550. My yard looks like a big pool table when mowing with the 2072, I also have mine set so that the caster wheels are "floating" just above the ground.

The 1863 and other late model Cub Cadets used the same frame style as the 782. The only major difference was the super-steer front axle.

These later models all were available with the 54" deck, which I have also on my 1782 and 2084 Supers. Great mowing decks, but nothing beats the 60" Haban deck IMHO. That is....until it's time to manhandle a 60". those are heavy!

Jim--No Kidding! That deck is heavy!!!! Must be near 300# or I'm just getting weaker in my older age! I want to reserve complete judgment on this deck until I've had a couple of years to put it through its paces! I know that my 54" was one heck of a deck when it came to the finish surface of the lawn.

I just bought a 2086 with a haban 60 inch deck. I wanted to put gator blades on it but when I contacted Oregon they told me they dont make them for the haban any suggestions

Latest posts

Back