• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Battery maintenance

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzintner

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Kurt
Trying to think ahead and before I forget. With regards to trickle chargers for non-use times and cold climates, what amp. For a ?Battery Minder/Tender is best for batteries with approx. 350 cca?

I use Battery Tender Jrs, for my Cub 108 and all my motorcycles. Some I use year-round, because (2 of) the bikes aren't ridden regularly ...
I have a Cub RZT50 that sits under my deck, and not stored inside. I have a solar battery charger from Harbor Freight hooked to it whenever it isn't being used. Surprisingly... it seems to keep the battery well charged.

I used these to maintain all my batteries, from motorcycles to group 31 semi batteries - I have a small fleet of them:

Harbor Freight VIKING 4A Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer

I was at a classic car dealership a while back and noticed that they had battery maintainers (of a bunch different types) on nearly all of their cars. I asked them what their favorite unit was and they said they really like the Harbor Freight unit the best.

I bring all my bat's into my heated shop and store them on a shelf.
Then about once a month I hook the mini charger to each one for an hour or so then
move to the next one when I notice the green light has lit.
Sometimes it only takes 10 or 15 minutes to bring them up to full charge

The biggest issue I have with batteries is the seepage from around the lugs corroding the terminals. Seems to happen no matter what brand.

Those overpriced oil saturated washers that go over the terminals and under the lugs work to prevent corrosion

Back