• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Battery Brand?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssheils

displayname
Steve Sheils
I have a 2072 SGT which I'm planning to blow snow with. It has a very weak off brand battery with only 230 Cold Cranking Amps. I've had to jump it a few times already. I'm searching for a strong replacement to fit under the seat like the original. What brand batteries do you folks reccomend? It needs to start well down to 0 or 10 below at the worst. It will be stored under cover but outside. I looked at the Interstate SP-40 online but it only has 300 CCA at Zero. Interstate also has a Mega-Tron series battery that seems much stronger but not sure if it fits- I have not measured the battery or battery box dimensions yet. Diehard from Sears has one that is around 400 CCA. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Steve S... I'll let the battery guru's speak about brand/size. But, I will tell you: Ground Circuit, Ground Circuit, Ground Circuit. Hey Steve..did I mention Ground Circuit?? .... Bad/poor/corroded wires and connections will kill ya!! Hint, Hint...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I have had the best luck with a Sam's club Champion brand battery with 375cca... Using synthetic in the engine helps, also. I am retrofitting my 149 to handle a automotive group 70 battery with 600+cca under the seat... see here:
https://www.ihcubcadet.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-auth.pl?lm=1260361932&file=/4/182218.html

I do not know if you model has the same space or not...

Other guys here have hung a large car battety off the back for not only CCA, but for weight...

Scott, I would fit into that last group, here's a photo of the rear mounted battery and weight on my #2 125.

182312.jpg

Myron, I agree 100% on the ground issue. The best policy is to run a heavy cable directly from the battery (-) terminal to the engine block so you aren't using the frame as the grounding route.

Does it matter? Oh yes, bigtime! It can make a substantial improvement.

On this forum I recall someone found that the battery for a Mazda mirata (sp?) car is the same physical size as the l&g battery we use. I tried several Interstates, nothing special about them in their l&g lineup.

On cable size, you cannot go too large either. On my 1282 when I'd crank it over the factory (+) cable would get so hot; the starter struggled to crank it properly. I replaced both cables with automotive cable: no further problems.

On the Magnum twins you can now use a synthetic or semi syn. in the appropriate viscocity, especially for winter use. No worries about heat related issues then! Mobil 1 and Castrol rank very high.

Kraig, is that a solar panel on your A/R hood? I bet that heats up well in direct sunlight :)

On the ground from -battery terminal to engine block, exactly where on the block is a good place to attach? TIA !!

Lyle, Bottom of the S/G rear mounting bolt is handy. Might even be the correct place on at least the 100.

Thanks for the responses Gents!

Myron Bounds- Ground circuit huh? Well I think I have a good ground however it is attached to the original frame bolt under the seat and not the engine as suggested by others.

Dave Ross "Bottom of the S/G rear mounting bolt" Forgive me but could you elaborate what the S/G stands for? Steering Gearbox maybe? Or is it part of the engine?

My current battery is 3 1/2 years old. I borrowed a load tester from my father but have not tested it yet. I figure the battery is the main problem. I was not planning to change the battery cables but they may be a problem.
dunno.gif

Jim Diederichs- Interesting comment on the oil for the Magnum Twins. I currently use Mobil 1 5w/20 in my car. Hmmm I leave the oil thread alone for now.

Surprised you guys did not have any top battery brands to recommend. But it's early yet- call em out if some are better than others!

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

You don't have an S/G (Starter Generator) on your 2072. I would aggree with most that the ground circuits leave a little to be desired. I put a Kohler Command in my 1872 and ran a #6 wire from the battery all the way up to the engine plus I have a frame ground at the front and the rear of the tractor.

As Jim D. pointed out you can change to a multi grade synthetic for winter duty as well to help it start easier. After that any good name brand L/G battery should work. I use the ones from tractor supply.

Lyle, if you attach the battery (-) cable to any open threaded hole on the block or one that already has a bolt in you'll be fine.{I suggest one of the engine mounting bolts} It creates a better ground path for the starter plus all the electrical devices such as charging system and electric clutch etc.

Other electric devices, lights etc will work fine as well.

The newest Kohler blocks now have a dedicated point at which to attach the ground cable, simply a cast hole near the mounting base on the crankcase to which a thread forming capscrew is inserted.

As far as battery brands, remember that often battery sources vary based upon location, in other words the battery you can buy branded "X" in CT. is often from a different supplier than the "X" brand in CO. It is often cheaper to rebrand due to the weight of shipping batteries nationwide, plus the liability involved if they are prefilled.

So look for one with a very high CCA rating as well as a good reputation in your area. In all cases expect that in a L&G application 3(maybe 4)years is all you will get regardless of brand.

Jim D., the PO, a large corporation located in St. Paul, MN, had starting/operating instructions taped to the hood under a clear plastic sheet which trapped moisture and caused the hood to rust. When I bought that Cub Cadet 125, I removed the plastic and gave it a quick coat of flat black primer. One of these days I'm going to clean it up and repaint the entire portion of the hood above the decal with a flat black paint. I refer to it as an AGH, Anti Glare Hood.

Kraig,
Please don't repaint, that has been your trademark tractor since,well, almost forever. You may wish to contact Boeing for some stealth paint instead,lol. Can you imagine an entire tractor painted with radar absorbing paint; that'll have the neighbors talking!

Yes, I recall the story behind the hood very well. Now if we could get you into some wide frames!!

Jim D., I'll always keep it flat black, it'd just be a better paint job. The flat black primer keeps rusting and I've repainted it several times, next time I'll use a top coat of flat black paint which should help prevent it from rusting. Then again, it's been that way for 12 years or so now, I'm a bit of a procrastinator, so it may never get that "better paint job".
blush.gif

To keep this somewhat on the topic, I've been using Fleet Farm branded batteries for many years with good results. That's a Champion brand battery in the photo from my prior post. I think I bought it at Fleet Farm, it's since been replaced with one of Fleet Farm's "Road Runner" brand batteries. I have Fleet Farm L&G batteries in my Original and SO76, I have their larger "300CCA @ 0 degrees F." versions.

182377.jpg

Steve, I have also had decent luck with a top of the line Die-Hard...

http://www.portablepower.com/index.phpt This co. sells a 33 amp hour battery (NP33) that is by far the best battery i have used in a cub cadet with a S G system. It is a sealed lead acid battery and would probally not accept a higher charge rate. It starts my cub cadets much better than a L&G 350 cca battery. A L&g battery lasts me 1 or 2 seasons and the NP33 is in thier 5th year now. But they are expensive.
Luther

Steve-

I found a Duralast I think in an Autozone parts store. It has 425 cranking amps and 340 cold cranking amps. I think most of the auto parts stores offer a line of l/g batteries; just ask them for the one with the most cca's. I paid around $42 with exchange. I would also stay away from Walmarts "neverstart" brand. I have tried them and they just won't last.

Just my .02 worth. Good luck!

guys I just Call half way across Canada for the (NP33) and the guy at the counter told me that I should always buy the agm batteries as they have a vibration damper built into them and the LG batteries don`t and that is why they don`t last more than 2 years. He ask me what I was installing the battery in and well when I told him a Diesel Garden tractor he laughed and said. In My Cub Cadet I use a u133 agm for 4 years and then well he ask where I`am at and now He will ship to a parts store here in town nc.wow this great for me.later Don T

Wayne....Walmart
roflol.gif
I have one in my 1450....I bet it doesn't weigh 2#'s. I think it's a plastic display model, was in it when I got it. I was wondering why it wouldn't take a charge lol

Don...What's this AGM battery ? I searched but doesn't seem to be any hit that help.

Back