• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Batterey Needed

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen bentley

I need to put a battery in my model124. I would like to be able to run a 1500 watt ac inverter for power tools. Has any one done this? If so have thwy run off the main battery if so what size would work? how many CCA ? I want to run a small chainsaw,poll saw, saws-all, or drill all small things that would work on my 15 amp circuit in the house.

I have a reply on your other thread.. The Cubs charging system is only good for 15 amps DC, I am not hopeful it'll do what you want, but, I have no experience firsthand.. It may work and you just have to run the tractor to recharge but again.. I have no real knowledge if it'll work.

My math may be off on this but I believe "watts in = watts out" meaning if your inverter is 100% efficient (it's not) you would need 125 amps at 12 volts to make 1500 watts. I think most 12v inverters shut down at about 10-11v input to protect themselves electrically.
I believe a 124 has a starter generator rated at 12 amps output - some of that goes to making the tractor run. if you install a 125 amp alternator in parallel consider understand the basic rule of thumb - each 25 amps costs about 1HP -so you are gonna need 5 hp just to run the alternator powering your inverter. I believe you can do this but you are going to need to install and alternator to do it.

Thanks for the info spndcash, i will have to look into this my second though was similar to your suggestion an alternator running off the front pto. BUT first I have to get my tractor running.

If you do mount an auto alternator, and you have a generator shop up your way, have them remove the diodes and it'll output 120 + volts AC. Google it on youtube, I'll bet someone has a video of it.

There are still some pto powered generators available. When the 124 was built, there was a company called Pincor that offered pto generators for Cub Cadets.

Here is a snippet from CC Specialties, a sponsor above for an item that has been sold, but it may be useful for reference. Oh yeah, this one was made after your 124.

Pincor generator PN/ Model GBRF 55H5

Comes as shown and includes belt, 110 and 220 volts 5500 Watts

Fits wide frame and 82 series and above

Actual shipping cost or pickup apply to this item. Fastenal or Spee-dee Delivery might be a good option.

If you want to get a quote, 100 pounds 22" x 22" x 20" boxed

He still has this bracket listed for sale. It attaches where the mower mule drive would fit, but again, for newer tractors than your 124.

Pincor generator mounting bracket PN/ Pincorbracket
Much heavier built than original bracket

Fits wide frame and 82 series and above, Will hold multiple size generators

Actual shipping cost or pickup apply to this item. Fastenal or Spee-dee Delivery might be a good option.

If you want to get a quote, 40 pounds 28" x 20" x 18" crated

The rule of thumb for DC power needed for an inverter is 1 amp per 10 watts of inverter output. There isn't a garden tractor or starting battery I've seen big enough for that large a draw over extended time let alone a vehicle/engine alternator or generator unless you get into a Delco CS series to run a 1500 watt inverter.

AC Hertz or cycles is also important for motors and addressed very well by better inverters such as for RVs and ambulances. The tools you're suggesting are U.S. 60 cycle and unless it is specifically listed on their data plate, motors, particularly variable speed, don't play well with other frequencies so that rules out non-diode non-regulated alternators.

Get a nice quiet and light Honda generator to carry in the wagon with the other tools.

Last edited:
Your best bet may be to go to Harbor Freight or somewhere and buy a portable generator and mount it in a garden tractor trailer that you can tow around to your job sites.. You may also be able to use it to power your home furnace during outages.. But what you want to do with the current electical system on your cub is not feasible...

The garden tractor batteries all seem to be equally poor in terms of lifespan anymore. I use a tender and might get 3 seasons out of one.

My 100 the battery box is big enough for a small car battery. Take it out for the winter and keep it charged. I forget how many years old it is now. Just measure your battery box and go from there

October 20, 2004 Digger posted: If you want a high CCA battery that will fit under the seat, get one for a mazda miata or a dry cell battery for an airplane, like a Cessna.

That same day, the late Tom Kelley wrote: Get some measurements and look for a small auto battery. More power, much cheaper, longer warrantry, and lastly,,,much less in price. I have Two Gravely riders with automotive batteries. One from 1997 and one 1998 and act like new. I can run for hours with the charging system not working as well. with manual PTO and with lights on..

Another post that day from pullingtractor: Go to Wal-Mart & buy one of their 350 or 375 cold cranking amp garden tractor batteries. They seem to hold up very well in a garden tractor.

So, after buying $45 garden tractor batteries at the auto parts that had a three month warranty, in May of 2014 I bought a Miata battery plus the post conversion to flat cables. As the voltage regulator does not work, every two-three months my wife puts it on the charger. The only maintenance it gets is cleaning terminals and the top of the battery. A BIG thank you to Digger for the suggestion;-)

Latest posts

Back