• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Bald Faced Hornets in Front Yard Tree

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Untitled.png

I have a smaller nest that I cut down one night,put in garbage bag and sprayed a whole can of insect killer.kept in garage for months.After opening carefully I sprayed it with clear coat to keep it from falling apart...It's been hanging in the house for yrs but scares newcomers a little....

I worked 15 years as a logger, most of that as a timber faller. This time of year we would be stung daily from bees nesting in the ground and big paper nests like that. We would start at first light so we could get our work day in before it got too hot.

I remember walking in to a strip early one morning when it was very dark and suddenly being stung multiple times on my head. Of course running madly down the trail trying to swat the bees off my head! Had 7 or 8 bald faced hornet stings under my hard hat. Had an awful headache that day but got the work day in. After work on my way out I found a big paper nest like that hanging head high in the brush. Had to have brushed it with my hard hat in the morning while walking in. :yikes:

I have a smaller nest that I cut down one night,put in garbage bag and sprayed a whole can of insect killer.kept in garage for months.After opening carefully I sprayed it with clear coat to keep it from falling apart...It's been hanging in the house for yrs but scares newcomers a little....
That is a great idea, clearcoat.....the one I have also has an odd odor. I think the clearcoat would seal that as well.

I used a flag pole hanger to attach hornets nest to workshop wall.

Attachments

• 20210826_100955.jpg
    20210826_100955.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 101
Mike,
More than likely the larvae are still in the nest, and are rotting. You might want to leave it somewhere outside until spring.

Robert,
You have to run in large circles. They can fly faster in a straight line versus in circles. (works for snakes also) I used to run in large "figure 8's."
The hardest part is to remember this trick when they are coming at you! :errrr:
I have outran a many of them in my day! (snakes and bees) When I was a young fella, I was either in school or outside. When I was outside, it wasn't in a nicely mown area either. Usually in the woods, creek, river, or cattle fields.

Now Marty - I think things are starting to get pretty tall here. How far was it that you had to walk to school? My Grandpa started off walking a mile to his one-room school house, and eventually it became about 4 miles. I ended up having to measure the distant from his house to the school. I never did ask him if they happen to move the school house. I can tell you after the school closed my Dad ended up moving the school house to a nice spot along a bend in the river. :errrr:

Back