• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Bald Faced Hornets in Front Yard Tree

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtener

displayname
Mike Tener
I removed this nest from a tree in my neighbor's front yard.
20210813_174545.jpg

Mike - AMAZING!!!!! How did you remove it??? Get any stings??? Is the tree still there??? :feint:

I waited until dark, then saturated the hive with wasp/hornet spray concentrating on access hole. I waited several minutes to allow spray to permeate hive. Any hornets exiting were very sick, disoriented. I trimmed tree of branches so I could position a construction grade trash bag over hive. While standing on ladder I put trash bag over hive, then cut branch with PVC cutter. Hive still intact.

I did get one sting. Happened while standing in driveway before I started removal procedure.

Attachments

• 20210813_220408.jpg
    20210813_220408.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 131
I've been stung by them more times than I care to remember. ☹ Ornery things. Nice job on getting rid of that nest.

Mike - pretty amazing you did it that way. That hive was pretty big to be using that method. I figured you may have tried a fire extinguisher or some other freezing method. Anything bigger than those 2-3" wasp hives under your awnings is to big for me.

Mike - pretty amazing you did it that way. That hive was pretty big to be using that method. I figured you may have tried a fire extinguisher or some other freezing method. Anything bigger than those 2-3" wasp hives under your awnings is to big for me.
I was a beekeeper for a while a few years back, however living in suburbia is not really conducive to keeping bees. I still have the net face covering and some gloves. I am certain I would not have done this without that protection. The lady was very appreciative and put a couple of nice gift cards in my mailbox with a very nice thank you card.

When I was little, I always got rid of them by throwing rocks at them until I totally knocked it to pieces.
P.S. I was also very good at running! LOL

LOL I have heard of the method you mention, thought about it, decided it would not go so well in the suburban setting. I also wanted to preserve that hive so I can hang it in my workshop.

I left it in the construction bag for a few days. Yesterday, I opened the bag (carefully)....the wasp spray had saturated the nest. All of the wasps were dead. The nest is still mostly intact. I will post a pic in a while. Looks pretty cool with the tree branch sticking through it.

Here is a pic after it came out of the trash bag. I just recently bought the 1250 CC. btw, not sure if I will keep it yet....like the hydraulic deck on my 149. You can get a feel for the size of the nest leaning on the 1250 as well.

Attachments

• 20210818_072138.jpg
    20210818_072138.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Years ago a friend had to get rid of one so in evening he climbed a ladder and snapped an old suitcase over it. He left it in the city downtown on the sidewalk and we waited. A few minutes later a car comes along, a guy jumps out, looks all around, throws it in and they take off.
A block later the car noses down, all four doors open with guys running in different directions.
We left, that car still in middle of the street motor running. 😃

Years ago a friend had to get rid of one so in evening he climbed a ladder and snapped an old suitcase over it. He left it in the city downtown on the sidewalk and we waited. A few minutes later a car comes along, a guy jumps out, looks all around, throws it in and they take off.
A block later the car noses down, all four doors open with guys running in different directions.
We left, that car still in middle of the street motor running. 😃
That is a funny story.

Back