Bald Faced Hornets in Front Yard Tree

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

displayname
Harry Bursell
Mike - AMAZING!!!!! How did you remove it??? Get any stings??? Is the tree still there??? :feint:

displayname
Mike Tener
I waited until dark, then saturated the hive with wasp/hornet spray concentrating on access hole. I waited several minutes to allow spray to permeate hive. Any hornets exiting were very sick, disoriented. I trimmed tree of branches so I could position a construction grade trash bag over hive. While standing on ladder I put trash bag over hive, then cut branch with PVC cutter. Hive still intact.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
I've been stung by them more times than I care to remember. ☹ Ornery things. Nice job on getting rid of that nest.

displayname
Harry Bursell
Mike - pretty amazing you did it that way. That hive was pretty big to be using that method. I figured you may have tried a fire extinguisher or some other freezing method. Anything bigger than those 2-3" wasp hives under your awnings is to big for me.

displayname
Mike Tener
Mike - pretty amazing you did it that way. That hive was pretty big to be using that method. I figured you may have tried a fire extinguisher or some other freezing method. Anything bigger than those 2-3" wasp hives under your awnings is to big for me.
I was a beekeeper for a while a few years back, however living in suburbia is not really conducive to keeping bees. I still have the net face covering and some gloves. I am certain I would not have done this without that protection. The lady was very appreciative and put a couple of nice gift cards in my mailbox with a very nice thank you card.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
When I was little, I always got rid of them by throwing rocks at them until I totally knocked it to pieces.
P.S. I was also very good at running! LOL

displayname
Mike Tener
I left it in the construction bag for a few days. Yesterday, I opened the bag (carefully)....the wasp spray had saturated the nest. All of the wasps were dead. The nest is still mostly intact. I will post a pic in a while. Looks pretty cool with the tree branch sticking through it.

Gary Hall

Banned
displayname
Fuddyduddy
Years ago a friend had to get rid of one so in evening he climbed a ladder and snapped an old suitcase over it. He left it in the city downtown on the sidewalk and we waited. A few minutes later a car comes along, a guy jumps out, looks all around, throws it in and they take off.
A block later the car noses down, all four doors open with guys running in different directions.
We left, that car still in middle of the street motor running. 😃

displayname
Mike Tener
Years ago a friend had to get rid of one so in evening he climbed a ladder and snapped an old suitcase over it. He left it in the city downtown on the sidewalk and we waited. A few minutes later a car comes along, a guy jumps out, looks all around, throws it in and they take off.
A block later the car noses down, all four doors open with guys running in different directions.
We left, that car still in middle of the street motor running. 😃
That is a funny story.