• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Back up lights/rear floods

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
Wondering what you folks have done about getting enough light behind you to plow in the night. Seems like it always snows at night and I gotta get to work early.
The old Cubs have the seats high so hiding one under there is nice. For the later cubs (782)
Putting lights on the rear fenders I fear they are too exposed and will get damaged over time. Mounting something on the frame by the raer axle, I wonder if my weights will block the light too much. I'm thinking about maybe a light pole that I will fixture to a custom hitch setup so it raises the lights over my head a bit and it will come off during other tractor duties. What are you guys doing.. if anything?

Tony- I have one mounted on the fender deck of my 582 and wired it into the rear light wiring. Works great for snow moving and plow days.

Kraig, That 10" high pole seems like a nice idea. Maybe I will make something like that but attach it to a Rear Weight Bracket so it's not on the tractor all the time. Incorporate a Connector into the rear light harness (sure, I just made that harness, now I got to cut into it) and then put the mating connector on this light bar/weight bracket.
Hugh
not that I'm a clutz but I just would rather the lights be shielded OR only sticking out there when being used.

Thanks for the ideas..

I found putting this light here keeps it safe .I bought a set of car lights and used one for the 149.

266532.jpg

Don, is that a sealed beam light? Is it weather tight? Did you wire it into your Headight switch or is there a switch in by the battery?

From a previous conversation... I see you have your seat tilted foward a bit too.

Tony H

That light take a 55 watt bulb and I wired in a switch in from of the seat where the inspection cover is bolted to the fenders . So I can reach down between my legs and turn that light off or on. I did run a fuse and holder under the seat. Lots of light from that light. I did order those seat rubbers from Charlie when he had them for sale ; they do take a lot of the ruff ride away when the tires are chained . I will look for another picture of the light with the seat up for you.

I was thinking about using the Inspection cover.. Just as you say, want the light on, reach between your legs . Not to mention it makes wiring very local. I'll be mulling these ideas in my mellon for a bit. That light is nice, not bulky. kind of protected by the seat back.
Thanks Don

Using an LED light would save a ton on current draw over an incandescent 55w bulb, so the charging system isn't overtaxed. Tractor output is 15 amps; using electric clutch plus existing lights doesn't leave much for charging already.

Just sayin' from experience....

I wonder if there is a way to connect a rear light to the reverse/deck-cut-off switch on the 82-series tractors? I'm thinking dedicated blower tractor here, so no need to cut out the mower deck anymore.

Move Hydro lever backwards >>> Light goes on
Move Hydro lever forwards >>> Light goes out

Hmmm...
whistling.gif

Art,

Sure, why not use the microswitch to power the light in reverse? Nice concept and not tough to do! Congrats!
popcorn2.gif

Jim-
Is the power draw of a 55W light similar to that of an electric PTO, or do you think one should use a relay?

I'm not sure why, but it was seeing your name that made me think "82-series" in this thread. That's what brought the micro-switch into the brain.
happy.gif

Art, brilliant! Please get to work on it ASAP, because as we all know...:

worthless.gif

Art,

A 55w sealed beam takes ~4amp, I don't recall exactly but I think an electric PTO will pull~7a.
The microswitch is rated (if you can read the printing) on the side of the switch body, for an LED no relay would be needed , but not sure of the switches rating offhand.

Jim Diederichs
Now I got a question .
1a_scratchhead.gif
I thought the electric PTO used 7a to engage and then dropped to a lower amperage. The reason behind the two position switch ? Well If you ran an led light you would not need a relay because the amperage would be so low as to cause a wiring heat issue. I happen to have two of these lights laying around in my shop and thought they would make a great back up light . I will say it does a great job .

Don,

No way was I rippin' on your rear light; I like the way you have it. I know, I often use parts I have around as well.
beerchug.gif

Jim Diederichs

and to make my self clear there ain`t no way I would rip on you; You stuck with me on my 1512 diesel mod for the drive shaft. So I know you are a smart cookie and we should pay attention. I do and I`am happy all the way with our mods. If I would have had a LED light to use I would have used it for the power draw reasons. Jim D ain`t no dumb Guy an I read all your post and know you have btdt or thought you might.

Trying to get a message to Don Tanner about my 1772 diesel looking for his expertise on how to change from original clutch type drive shaft to CV shaft from 1440 cub, I would appreaciate your help Don I have read some articles on here about how you did it but I cant seem to find any info on it, can you help? Desperate in NY.

Hey Mr. Tanner I hope I am in the right spot this site is very confusing as to where to leave messages, what I have is a 1772 cub cadet that I am trying to change out the driveshaft on to a CV type shaft from a 1440, the shaft coming out of the pump on my 1772 is a course spline so I was wondering if I had to change out the pump shaft on change out the pump? I am not sure otherwise how to chanfe this over, I appreaciate your help,I did find your dog rebuild but that shaft appears to be smooth.

Randy L. Akins
I know a pump shaft from lets say a 149 is the same shaft in my 1512 pump. I changed my shaft only because it had been welded to the drive shaft. I would look for a coarse spline drive plate . I know Jimmy D posted one that would work on my rebuild . did you have to modify the shaft to get the correct length ? Can you post a picture of what you have to install. You should go to the bottom of the CCC MTD page and start a new thread on your tractor so everyone can follow your drive shaft replacement .

Latest posts

Back