• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Back in the saddle

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed that you have the Brinly Spring Assist. Don't see very many of those!

Brinly Spring Assist.jpg

Any suggestion on where to get the front wheels and tires all around? I would like to get tractor tread tires for the back.

Quick update:
I took the engine to the local cub cadet dealer today to let them assess it and see if it is worth saving. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Young people generally have the latest schooling in their profession. Not cobblers as mentioned by a person replying to my first post here.
At now 85, ask me how I know?

THINK POSITIVE

I now the manager pretty well at the shop. He seemed excited about helping me restore the old girl. Will know in the next couple of weeks what all can be done for it.

So the Cub Cadet dealer basically said their mechanics would not work on the K161S engine for the original I'm restoring. Looks like I will be working on the engine myself.😬 The picture attached is an image of the engine after I took the head off. Looks rough. Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.

Attachments

• 20191126_133348.jpg
    20191126_133348.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 374
First step is to download the engine service manual if you haven't already.
Read it 2 or 3 times, get familiar with the steps and "bag & tag" the small parts with the screws and a description of where they came from. I like the "sandwich bags" that click and seal myself..

Most importantly, take your time / have fun / and ask any questions along the way!

First step is to download the engine service manual if you haven't already.
Read it 2 or 3 times, get familiar with the steps and "bag & tag" the small parts with the screws and a description of where they came from. I like the "sandwich bags" that click and seal myself..

Most importantly, take your time / have fun / and ask any questions along the way!
I also find it useful to take photos before (and during) tearing into it, to help my memory when putting it back together.

Yeah, take a picture BEFORE each disassembly step, so you know how it is supposed to go together. Things like which hole the governor spring ends go in . . . can be dependent on your engine's specific idiosyncrasies. At least, you have a good starting place. Also things like: "the long stud goes here" LOTS of pictures!!!

I wanted to update the original restoration project. I'm pretty much at a stand still for now especially with the engine. I did install the mowing deck today. Still need new tires and wheels and lots of other little things for the engine.
20200507_114423.jpg

Back