• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

automatic compression relief and sludge

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
So many have commented about zturns...this cam is from 23 hp Kaw( a common zturn engine) This is an object lesson in changing oil and filter often...300 hrs on this engine,oil and filter never change and never added to....the sludge residue finally kept the acr from moving at all..therefore almost impossible to start...the entire cam has to be replaced because the acr is built into it. That means removing tension from valves etc...quite a job,not cheap if you're paying someone else. ...the replacement engine was $1700.....so there's the lesson....6 yr old machine...any questions??

Attachments

• 100_1412.JPG
    100_1412.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_1414.JPG
    100_1414.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 127
That reminds me of this:

1129.jpg

I forget what the deal was here but I assume it's similar to your example, too many hours on the oil.

My dad once got a pushmower from somebody that "wouldn't run". Oil had probably never been changed. When he drained the oil out (or what was left of it, more accurately), it looked like draining 140W gear lube out of a tractor in the middle of winter. It piled up in the drain pan. Ran ok after putting new oil in, but smoked like crazy and used oil.

If the owner would have changed oil & filter at least 4 times for approx.$100. over 6 yrs he wouldn't have to spent 1700 on a new engine........We are looking at some similar attitudes in many of these old cubs. Owners just run them because they are "old"

So just out of curiosity, was this a machine that belongs to a company and was being run by an employee, or is this a personal machine?

Cause we all know that "Nothing parties like a rental"... I've also seem that "Nothing parties like a company owned machine (vehicle, eqpt, etc).....

I know on all my machines, I pull the dipstick before before the first start of the day. I keep on top of changing them.

On the newer machines, that have the digital hour meter / maintenance minder, it even tells you, IN WORDS, when it's time to change the oil, and clean the air pre-filter, or change the air filter...

Here's my contribution to Nightmare On Sludge Street. That's a golf tee supported by The Blob. Note the crankcase window in the upper left of the photo - that's not supposed to be there.
MVC-012S.JPG

Here's my contribution to Nightmare On Sludge Street. That's a golf tee supported by The Blob. Note the crankcase window in the upper left of the photo - that's not supposed to be there.View attachment 144556

Dave, that's the photo I was thinking of when I went looking through my archives. I found the one I posted and figured I was remembering wrong. Thanks for posting that.

Nasty. I don't even think my idiot light indicator on the car is good enough for oil changes. I always Change my oil early by what is the new standards. The years and mileage on my vehicles and equipment tell me I'm doing it right.
That engine... What a crime

Back