• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Articulated Cubs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry wyatt I informed our webmaster, the competition has changed a lot, but the tractors now can't weigh over 850 lbs. w/o the driver

Its definately different w/ 4wd, I pull a cub as a hobby with the Mid American Pulling Association here in central Iowa and I had to start from scratch when I got on the 4wd

for all of you thinking about a 4wd cub, it definately takes a lot of time and resources to put together a good 4wd tractor (of course school keeps getting in the way)

yes the engine dyno worked, I spent a few months last year tuning an exhaust for our flowmaster exhaust system (they supplied the collector and muffler), but then the electronics fried so they started over this year and we hope to have it up and running soon

the fun toy now is the transmission dyno, but thats a whole different story

anyway I guess I have gone off on a tangent long enough

If I were to build on of these for myself, and I might have to since I am gaining plenty of experince and I have a few cubs to spare, I would most likely just make something similar to the tractor shown in the photo earlier just using cub hydrostat rearends, a diff lock would be great too, they pull so much better with the diffs locked, but they don't turn.......... at all, so I guess its all a trade off

Took me about 6 hours to get the pieces for the front and rear axles cut out on my project. Seemed liked I measured everything about 50 times. I had one screw up and made something too big but that was a easy fix.
I tacked together the rear axle assembly.
Maybe get some more time in monday.

25209.jpg

I took it off and it got all uptite and offended... So I put it back on.

Little more progress has been made. Rear axle is done, front is pretty well there..
25387.jpg

Kraig, Next step is starting the front frame section. Its in a 24' stick right now so I may wait till the weekend to start that. Ive got to put everything away so the old man can use the barn in the morning.
All my crap gets stuck under the loft.
25420.jpg

Ive got a snow blade to work on anyway, that will take the rest of the week so by the time its off to sandblast I can get moving on my project again.

25425.jpg

25426.jpg

Bottom plates on the axles are removable so I can get the wheelmotors in once the axles are installed.

Cut the front frame rails out tonight. Axles sitting upside down.

25457.jpg

Jim L., this might interest you. Coot 2 Articulated hydraulic utility vehicle.

Kraig,

Notice the two meanings of articulated. Jim's design hinges in the middle without the bodywork/frames being rotated out of alignment. He steers by bending the articulation side to side in the verticle plane and the bodywork/frames do not rotate relative to each other. The coot steers by turning the front wheels as in a conventional 4wd.

Makes for some interesting comparisons over rough ground.

Jim Lang-ONLY 4-5 HOURS A NIGHT????? I am lucky to get 4-5 hours a month to work on such things;o)

Your progress looks fantastic. Your right, I wondered how I ever did anything before the plasma cutter. Ours is pretty worthless above 1/2 inch though. I keep trying to talk dad into updating to 1.5 inch capacity. I also hate that my shop is 30 minutes away from my house.

Keep up the good work.

Jim E., yeah I know the differences, I posted the link because the Coot2 uses hydraulic drive motors, Jim L. is also planning on using hydraulic drive motors and I thought he might like to see the Coot2.

so how do you guys plan on plumbing the motors, sort of like a sprayer where the right front & left rear are on one circuit and the left front and right rear are on another?

Wyatt,
Its a series parallel setup, don't ask me how it works but 2 different hydraulics places drew the same drawing for me so I figure it must be correct..

2 front motors are locked together and the 2 rear are locked together, making locking diffs basically..

I tacked the frame parts together tonight. Mocked up what its going to look like. It is sitting just about how it is when I weld it all up..

25464.jpg

25465.jpg

25503.jpg

Front axle pivot is done and the center pivot is done eccept for cutting the bushings..

Only grabbed hot pieces of metal twice on this project so far, doing pretty well!

Just curious here. Has anyone thought of using a 15U tandem series setup? One pump is used for the left rear/right front and other is used for the right rear/left front drive. Tack a gear pump onto that 15U tandem and you have your hydraulic pump for everything else. Should I want to design/build an articulated Cub or even four wheel like the old IH and Case four wheelers I would check into what they used for drive/hydraulic mechanisms. Or even how Bobcat (I believe) steers their one model of skid loader. Also, don't forget to factor in a heat exchanger to cool all that hydraulic fluid that is going to be moved. I am not trying to stir up anyone... just suggesting.

Latest posts

Back