• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 27, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dean, those push mowers show up now and then. Here's an add from 1976.
21871.jpg

21872.jpg

Mike M., Twister and PlowMaster sure make for a nice pair of 82 series Cubs, well done!!!

Went to an auction last saturday and this little guy in the 48K range went home with someone else for $250.00. I was amazed that the NF blade was attached with such ease.
21877.jpg

Kraig/Charlie/Dean -

Weren't those just rebadged Lawn Boys anyway?

Tedd -

Change the plastic on top of my CC P-418 and you can make it look like a Yard Man
wink.gif

BTW,

Under the IH colors and decals those are Lawn Boy mowers......

My personal favorites are the series earlier....the ones that look like minerature xx8/9 series tractors with the staggered front wheel Mag. decks (LawnBoy again)

Harvest:

Beans will come out within the week, but we will need some rain on the field before it's "plowable" with GT's.

Corn is 3/4 out and yeilds look to be in the 180 bu/acre range.....very good corn for the Secor farm. Been spending lots of evenings in a late 80's CIH 1640 with a 6 row 1063 head......machine does a nice job, but there is a lot of duct tape holding the grain pans together...this one needs some TLC with a MIG and some sheetmetal over the winter.....everyhting's just worn thru!!!!

Steve, would a 1640 be the same as the 1688 out here? Sure must help with the price tag when leaving off all that leveling hardware.

I hate to do this guys, but don't know any other way... <font size="-2">Poof if you must</font>

Matthew-
I got your email message today, but it's from a school that won't accept messages "from the outside", and as Charlie mentioned earlier, your personal accout doesn't work either. Got another option for me to get a message/question to you?

I'm curious if you have room to haul something home with you after Steve's Plow Day event...

<font size="-2">Again, sorry guys...</font>

Steve, you are right about them being Lawnboys. I worked at the factory in Galesburg, Il. that produced them until 1981 when they moved the assembly lines (2) "south" as they say. Outboard Marine Corp. was the owner.

Jerry,

Nope, different series....80's or 88's are the big dogs...

For comparison: (using the 16x0 series as a base)

1640 = 24" rotor, 436 NA engine, +/- 145bu tank
1660 - 24" rotor, 436 DT engine (turbo), +/-165 bu tank
1680 = 30" rotor, 466 DT engine, +/-185 bu tank.

40 is a nice match for a 6 row head or 20' platform, but no speed demon or powerhouse.

60 will walk a 6 row head (and handle an 8) and cut nicely a 20'-25' platform

80 will walk an 8 row head and cut nicely with a 25' or 30' platform

There is a big difference in the threshing/separating capacity between the 24" and 30" rotors, and a noticeable power difference between all 3 models.....in real good corn that's wet the 40 will really "want" for a turbo
happy.gif

BTW, the numbering series goes like this

1420, 1440, 1460, 1480

1620??, 1640, 1660, 1680

1644, 1666, 1688

2144, 2166, 2188

2344, 2366, 2388

And then the new 8000 series BIG DOGS.

I feel a rant coming on...

WTH is it with people not reading the instructions?

We CLEARLY tell folks that if they use Earthlink and they want to sign up for an account here, they MUST allow [email protected] to get thru their stupid spamBlocker BS or they'll NEVER know that their account was approved.

These folks are UFB!!!!!!!

<font size="-2">I feel all better now...</font>

SB....you are missing 1 model in the A-F self propelled history. The 2005 year model 2377. Has the bean field suffered "metallic hardware disease" from the tornado that would cause flat or punctured tires?

Ryan, My 16 hp Briggs and Stratton is in need of a rebuild and I thought I'd explore other options before I sink money into the Briggs. I had it halfway apart earlier this year to replace a leaking seal, and was surprised to find no bearings or even bushings - the crank rides in the aluminum front cover with whatever oil can be splashed there.

Kevin L. -

Not much of a surprise there. B&S has done that for eons. My 7HP B&S Model 19 has the same setup, and is from 1959-1960. Haven't replaced a thing except the crank seal and it runs like a top.

Bryan, Kevin-

If anything gets into the area where the crank rides on that end cover you are SCREWED. I had that happen to me on a go-kart once. Something obviously got in there because every time I drove it I got an oily rooster-tail on my shirt. I couldn't figure out why until I took the engine apart. Crank was scored so badly that large rough grooves were cut into the crank and the end cover, which, because it went for so long this way, let the crank "wobble" in the endcover. Not the greatest design if you ask me. If you don't believe me I can take some pictures.

Matt G. -

I believe you. I'm sure the same thing would happen if you got something of suitable size past the seal and into a ball bearing, too.

And the manual and parts list for these old engines show that there were ball bearing versions as well. Just depends on how much the end user wanted to spend on it, I guess.

Latest posts

Back