• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 24, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Since there's a break in the deck action.
biggrin.gif

65559.jpg

Gawd! I come in here and see a guy that looks like I use to ... see green paint ... see green paint again ... see green paint AGAIN! ... makes me think I've drank to much today ...

Charlie - That 102 goes as slow as a good Toyota but I can't mow the grass with mine ;) Your audio records good !!

Is there a way to test the ignition switch? I saw the diagram below and I'm wondering if a good test would be to place a jump wire between points B and S on the ignition switch. If the starter turns then it seems the problem is the switch is bad. Any thoughts?

65576.jpg

How do I unstick a stuck hydro release valve (Top of a w/f trans, for clarification)

129 rattle can restro continues. Denny, thanks for the advice on painting the fins but it was for naught as I had already sprayed them this morning. Not thick though, just a cursory spray of color which I think will probably burn off in record time. The fender pan needs some more TLC and a couple more coats. The hood is tomorrow mornings project.
A few pics. of the progress..

65583.jpg

65584.jpg

65585.jpg

65586.jpg

John, yes. Take a volt meter, and set it to the continuity setting, and hold it to the prongs, and turn the switch. If you turn it on and positive volts show up then it works, but if nothing happens, then it is trashed.
Anyone who wants to elaborate can add on if they wish.
Glen

Speaking of resto's, I have finished my pain on the main frame and hydro, will be rebuilding the engine the rest of the way, and finishing the three point and fenders in he next month. woo!!!

John P:

Here is a simplified Schematic of the Ignition Switch.

65589.jpg

Remove the wires from the Switch. Set a VOM set on the Resistance Scale. There should be NO continuity from B to I nor N to S.

Turn the switch to the "on" position. There should be continuity (Zero Ohms) between B & I.

With the switch in the "start" position, there should be continuity (Zero Ohms) between B & I and B & S.

If you don't have any of the above, then the switch is bad.

Bear in mind, that this test is under a "no load" condition. It is usually accurate. However, it is possible, with the wires attached to the switch and under a typical load, the results may differ.

You could perform a Voltage Check with the Wires attached as follows.

With the VOM set at DC Voltage Scale, and the Black Meter lead attached to the Battery ( - ) terminal or a good chassis ground, you should have the following, considering the battery is in good condition and fully charged:

With the Red Meter Lead, you should have:
~12VDC at the B terminal

With the Igntion Switch in the On position, you should have ~12VDC on the "I" terminal.

With the Ignition in the Start Position, you should have ~12VDC on both the I & S terminal.

Hope this helps....

OK, the power is getting through the ignition switch. The problem has to be somewhere between the ignition switch and the side terminal on the solenoid. That means its either the orange wires or the safety switch itself. I see the Orange/Black wire coming up to the solenoid from the wiring harness and I see the orange wire from the ignition switch going into the wiring harness. I can't find the darn safety switch. Anyone know where the heck that safety switch is on a Model 71?

when plowing, it would have been handy having a tool box for the cresent wrench. Where is a good spot to mount one on the older (122) narrow frame cub?

(Dare I ask: At the swap meet, there were plenty of 126 style fenders available. Do they bolt on a 123?)

I have a 129 Hydro and the automatic compression release that does not work. It does not open the valve and it is hard to start. The manual states that engines with a SN below 9006117 have an adjustable tab to increase the lift on the valve. My SN is 5154185 so it should be adjustable.
It states to remove the camshaft cover and bend the tab. WHERE IS THE CAMSHAFT COVER.
I have pulled the breather cover and my thinking is that it should be under that but the only think beneath the breather is the dip stick holder. Can someone direct me where the camshaft cover is and/or suggestions on how to fix this.
Thank you for any help
Earl LaMott

Charlie,
Whats that swivel knob thing below your throttle for? It says Off On Start.

Glen C.
Clean the tops of the valves up really well, a wire brush works well for that.
Spray PB Blaster or Kroil on them and let'um soak for a day or 3. If you can get a pair of sharp vise-grips on them, twist a little while pulling up.
Once you get'um loose, you can move them up and down all the while spraying again and again.
Once you get them both free, fire up the tractor and wire brush them off again while they are still up. Clean one more time, spray'um up good again and blow them off with the air hose and your good to go.
I always like to put some Hytran on them after i get'um working right. BUT, you'll have to keep an eye on them down the road as the Hytran will collect dirt.

Jason "S",
That "Tractor Clowns" picture remids me of the Kevin Dunham hand waving picture that I'm sure someone will post.

John, Last week I had a no start on my 128, come find out the strap metal on the pedal linkage had broken around the roll pin that centers it on the shaft. This strap on the pedal linkage contacts the safety switch to send power to the starter/ Gen. It was an easy fix with some weld and I was back in business. The safety switch can be bypassed by jumping across the two pin connector at the switch, but by doing this you present a danger in you leave the key in the ignition all the time like I do.

Richard, looking good on the 129. Hopefully I will have some pics on my 128 resto come this winter. OLD CUBS NEVER DIE THEY GET REBUILT!

Earl - There should be a diagram in your manual ... but here's a generic drawing.
65595.gif

Help!! I'm trying to get my Cub 1250 started. I bought it as is, and "as is" was seized. I found that the piston was at the top of the cycle and a bit of moisture rusted it a little. I soaked it with tranny fluid and tapped it with a mallet and wooden block and it freed up nicely. Problem now is, it wont turn over. The starter works but could it be too weak to turn the fly wheel? Any ideas? You can turn the fly wheel by hand with a little resistance.

Latest posts

Back