• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 24, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom H.
65597.gif

K301A question, When at operating temp, my 128 belches some smoke from the exhaust when at idle for more than a minute, the smoke comes briefly when the rpms are raised from idle to 1/2 throttle or more. Is this an oil blow-by issue or something else. Oil is fresh 30W non-detergent.
Also, engine has a .010 over bore/piston, but otherwise is stock.

ok, so we've already got a "no hands"... now let's see a handstand?
biggrin.gif
A few of these might help.
beer2.gif

Brent,

Power Trac's are fine, Tru-Powers are probably better, and in 8.50 Firestone 23 deg Field and Road are the king of the hill.....

I've got some of each and in 8.50 I would prefer the Stones, but would also not mind the other two.

Kentucky and others- just shot a photo of the old girl (Cub122) after moving a couple of yards of dirt aroung my yard saturday. No trailer queen, just a worker... Dave
65602.jpg

I AM NEW TO ALL THIS, PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. I HAVE A IH 105 HYDRO. THE HYDRO ACTS LIKE ITS BINDING OR SOMETHING, WHEN I ENGAGE IT THE TRACTOR WILL NOT MOVE AND IT SOUNDS LIKE AND OLD FORD POWER STEERING PUMP LOW ON FLUID.I CHANGED THE FLUID WITH HYTRANS AND NEW FILTER BUT STILL THE SAME. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Ronald - UNLOCK the CAPS man !
Sounds like you may have a sheared driveshaft pin on either end.

Looks like Steven III has kicked me out of the operators seat and given me the shovel so I can "swamp" for him.....

65609.jpg

Check out the text on the crawler...spelling like only a 1st grader (or maybe a Mechanical Engineer) can come up with......

Not too long ago I saw a post somewhere (don't know if it was here or not) by someone who had just picked up a 169. He made the statement, "yes, I counted 13 fins". I'm assuming he was verifying that the tractor did, in fact have a 16 hp engine. Anyway, I have a 1650 that I have every reason in the world to believe is an original tractor. Maybe I'm counting wrong but I only count 12 fins. I now have the head off the engine and the bore measures 3.75" which, if I'm correct, is what a 16 hp should measure. For what it's worth the piston has "STD" stamped on it so it has not been bored. I realize that the data plate is not necessarily indicative of the engine it is attached to but it says:
K341AQS
Spec. 71221a
SN 7506002
Here is a pic of the engine. Thoughts?
65711.jpg

Charlie, here's the one where Kevin is waving slower:
65713.gif

Steve B., drawings like that are priceless!!!!!
happy.gif

Jim T., AFAIK, the 1650 would not have the 13 fin block, you'd only find the 13 fin in a 169. The later 16hp blocks only had 12 fins.

JIM - The issue with the 13 vs 12 fin blocks is the cyl. walls are thicker on the 13 fin block and can be bored out to 4.000" bore. REALLY makes a Horse out of already a Really Gutsy engine. I thought my old K241 was strong in My 72 compared to the K181 that it had when I bought it in '81 but My K321 never ceases to amaze me.
Shift.gif

Jim-
I have an engine in a 169 that has, like yours, 12 fins. It appears to be the original engine, but who knows.
dunno.gif

Kraig says the later 16hp blocks only had 12 fins, so maybe my 169 is a "later" one. I'll have to check that out sometime with the tractor's serial number and the engine's data plate.

Todd:

I found the problem. Exactly, the same thing as you found. "The strap metal on the pedal linkage had broken around the roll pin that centers it on the shaft. This strap on the pedal linkage contacts the safety switch...". I found the piece of the strap metal that broke off. I'll try to get the strap welded back together and then reinstall it.

Thanks for the hint.

Thanks for the info. on the 16 hp engines. My engine is actually very clean, and like I said it has never been bored so I feel like I have a really good find in this 1650. I mainly wanted to be certain it was actually a 16 hp engine. Fin count thing kinda threw me. I'm clear on it now. Thanks again for all the help. Now all I need is a chiropractor to fix my back after lifting this thing!!!

My 169 has the 13 fin block, and my 1650's have the 12 fin blocks. And my 1450 has a 13 fin block so the fin count evidently only works on 169's..

Richard, are you saying your 1450 has a 13 fin block?
65715.gif

Hmmmm, must be the 16hp blocks that went to 12 fins???? Here's a photo of a K301 that I have, that BTW, is out getting rebuilt.
happy.gif
I count 13 fins.
65717.gif

65718.jpg

Back