• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 23, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
NIC - I saw another discussion of magnetic heaters on another forum I frequent for comic relief. KATS is a popular brand, Zero-Start also. They make 200W & 300W magnetic heaters, they also make flexible heating pads that can be stuck on the oil pans of engines & transmissions. http://fivestarmanufacturing.com/Kat_s

Nic, I use a 200 watt Zero-Start heater:

290316.jpg

Place it here:

290317.jpg

Kraig--I love those plow pics!!!!
Shift.gif
. If you get a chance can you put some more of those on Bluniers thread?

I'm enjoying the discussion on the "Cub Cadets" with AG's! Good info all around.

Vincent-- great pic stuck in the soup! Where and when was that???

Brian E - It certainly sounds as though the roll pin in the cap on your spindle, has completely broken. If you were using just a standard hardware store bought single pin this does happen. IH used double rolled spring pins sometimes called coiled spring pins. (I don't know if the brand name Spirol Pin is the same thing). As far as I know you can still get the original replacements from your Cub Cadet dealer.

Now, if the hole in the cap for the roll pin is wallowed out, or if the hole in the spindle top is wallowed, you may have to drill each out to the next size roll pin.

KRAIG & ALL - We had an engineer at the place I worked at 20+ yrs ago perform a little test. We were having some electric power inverters trip due to too high of ambient temperature. There was a LOT of electrical componentry in this enclosure, and as funny as it sounds, about the lower quarter to third of the box had frost built up on it when in use. This engineer was trying to find the best place to put a large heat sink, something I'd bought special about 10 inches wide and 16-18 inches tall. It was going on a NEMA 4X enclosure, meaning it had to be water tight when hit with a high pressure power washer. Well, one night he lost track of time, quitting time came and went, and ten minutes after he should have left he dropped everything and made the mad dash for the parking lot. The heat sink spent the night ON TOP of the electrical enclosure. Next morning that box was the coolest it had been in all the testing he'd done.

Moral of the story is, the magnetic elec heater works best when put on the BOTTOM of whatever it's warming up, because HEAT RISES. It's the same process that caused the electrical box to cool the most with the heat sink ON TOP of the box.

Denny, not sure of your point? The photo I posted below showing where to place the magnetic heater is on the bottom of the differential.
1a_scratchhead.gif

KRAIG - I'm agreeing with you, put the heater on the bottom of what you want to heat, and put the cooler on TOP of what you want to cool.

About 80% of our machines we made, froze ice cream, but the other 20% heated things. The freezers used Ammonia refrigerant, the heaters used steam or hot water. But that was about the only difference.

Joshua, that pic was from my dry creek bottom - no so dry that day back in 2006 or 2007. I normally plant Sweet corn there, this year it did not work.

While planting, plowing and preparing this year we used Firestone 23 degree AGs on my 122, Goodyear AGs on my 1250, Carlisle on my dad's 124, turf tires on the 149.

Here's a pic of the plowed and disked field.

290326.jpg

The 1250 and planter right after I got done planting, it started sprinkling as I headed to the shed. Little blurry pic.

290327.jpg

Here's a pic on June 1, 2014 the day after I planted it.

290328.jpg

Here's the field 2 days later

290329.jpg

June 12th we planted a new field right next to this one. Here's my son plowing the new part with my 122.

290330.jpg

This time planting was done with my dad's 124. My dad is rototilling with his 149

290331.jpg

Here's the new field and old under water again June 15th. The original field and this lower part of the new field never grew much. The upper part burned up in late July. Some of the sweet corn was waste high. Oh well, we had a lot of fun seat time with the Cub Cadets. Maybe better luck next year.

290332.jpg

Nic, your correct I am not a mod..lol,,too bad..
devil1.gif

My post contained NOTHING but IH Cub Cadets so I think it was on topic..
beerchug.gif

Kohler/cub on

Vince--Thanks for the pics and the story! Unfortunately you didn't have good luck with your crops but you did get lots of seat time on your cubs. I also love the fact that it is a family affair with you guys. Good Stuff!
cubwinker.gif

Anyone have thoughts on re-powering a 982 for winter work? What engine would you use, reasons why, dependability in cold starting conditions. Mostly used for blower work and hauling firewood. It would be stored in a garage, no heat, but insulated and protected from the wind. Just how dependable and easy to start are the Onans?

Harry B - Thanks, just ordered up another one...

Was planning on doing some single stage snow throwing with the 124 this winter, but, I just got a 64" 3pt 2-stage PTO thrower for my Kubota for a steal so it looks like the 124 will get some rest this winter

MIKE P. - If the B48G Onan in your 982 is in decent shape, good tune-up etc. it should start as good as anything else you could install in the tractor. I don't use any of my CC's in winter, but have started them a couple times for one reason or another.

The most popular swap engine seems to be the 23 HP B&S or the 20 HP Kohler Magnum. I always wanted to drop a 20-25 HP 2-cyl. air-cooled Deutz diesel in mine. Great engine, durable, very fuel efficient, and VERY hard to find. And of course, there's no "kit" for the task.

We've had some pretty cold days here but not as bad as you folks in WI or MN. Never had a heater on the 782, just been starting it up after doing a fluid check, letting it run for awhile in the garage and going to work after is smooths out and quits down. Should we be using a heater for the rear end during those winter months?

If I had to do an engine swap using a twin cylinder , I would by one Teledyne surplus engine . with a jet change they can make over 30 hp and run smooth . cleaning out my shop garage try to get more that two walkways ( 28 x 30) . getting and early start on winter work in the garage .

Back