• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 21, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom R. -

I'm with everyone else, get a new one.

In addition to what Art said, the red wire (at least on the ones I've gotten in the past) is a lot lighter, almost pinkish. Prolly why Art likes 'em so much
lol.gif

ART - By "Cloth Covered Wire" You mean the actual loom the individual wires run thru correct? The wire itself is color coded PVC insulated right? The convoluted conduit & PVC insulation used on harnesses today is MUCH more durable than the old cotton wraps used 40-50 yrs ago. The old IH's from that era basically have bare copper wires unless the harnesses have been replaced. There was a period in the late 60's & 70's were a synthetic (nylon or polyester) woven wrap was used that held up very well. (CC #72 era)

Hi All. I'm "refurbishing" a snowthrower chute with ideas I got from here (although it is the wrong brand for most of you). Anyway, I took the chute parts and throat of the thrower down to the bare (and somewhat pitted in places) metal. I then prepped it with some etch primer, followed by some sandable primer and some sanding to get the worst of the pits out. That was followed by two good coats of new paint. The graphite paint my local place has is called EZ-Slide, in which I picked up a quart so I could brush it on (another of the hints I picked up from here). I sanded the paint with 400 grit sand paper to rough it up (as that is what the can said to do) and just now came in from brushing on my first coat of EZ-Slide. Anyway, my question is, how many coats of the graphite paint do you guy's normally use? I am thinking at least 2 or 3 good coats myself to get a good layer on. Also, depending on how much use it gets this winter, what kind of durability do you guy's see with the graphite paint before it is worn back down to the regular paint layer? Thanks.

Kent

Kent, I'd put at least two coats on. I redid my QA42 in 2000, after 4 average to below average snowfall winters it's due for a recoat. I would also say that I have a larger than average driveway.

I got this mess loaded to take to Cub-A-Rama, but it makes my trailer a bit crowded
21703.jpg

21704.jpg

Tom R. I totally agree with everyone else on the wire assy. We put one in a 125, the new harness saved a lot of time and effort. It is the way to go.

Denny:

The xx6/7 series did use the old cloth covered rubber wires, if I remember right. They also have lots of problems with wiring harnesses.

In case anybody is interested I took some pictures of the cutting job my 50c deck did before I aligned the blades, rear gauge wheels, built the front swivel gauge wheels, and did the final alignment on the tractor.

Before, notice you can see each blade track.

21706.jpg

A closer look, you can see light spots in the grass.

21707.jpg

Pictures taken today after mowing with the modified and aligned deck using the same mower blades.

21708.jpg

This is how I expect it to look like, never could get a cut like this before with the 50 inch decks so I always used the 44a decks.

21709.jpg

Tom R .I`m with the others on replacing the wire harness but for another reason .FIRE!!! I`ve got over 20 years in the local vol. fire dept. and the same in a chevy dealer ,seen lots of fires due to bad wireing . not bad if out in the yard but not a good thing if its in your garage .
I`m real paranoid here ,I unhook all my batteries on any of my older tractors if there in a building .

Paul "B",
Nice bunch-O-toys!!

Richard "C",
Are you sure you don't need a adopted step child?

Hey, havn't been "poofed" in a while...;o) This ad in YT, quick where's Paul??!!!

For Sale: cub cadet original believed to be the second one of the first 10 prototypes built in 1960 serial # 40249 Condition: running Price: offers

Wow Richard- Nice results! All that effort really paid off. My dad has a 'green variety' of 'lawn tractor' that's been suffering some malignment, making his lawn 'wedged', and hasn't figured out why. I suspect it has something to do with 'live' ballast and Boyle's Law...

In looking again, that'd be a fine article for 'High Performance Lawn Equipment' Magazine: How to Blueprint your Mower Deck! (Next up: "Tilling on a Bottle"... a 3-issue series on installation and adjustment of nitrous-oxide ... in your Roto-Tiller!) Apostle Ken- your next book??? :-}

Paul- that's one serious load- what's it weigh in at?

Tom- drop the cash, grab the harness, live long, and prosper! V

Owen- I'd say you found yourself in the upper operational envelope of the carrier's performance potential. I think you'd benefit from the Mopar Carrier Mod. I'm doing said mod on my Loader-Mutt (and probably the Diesel project) as soon as I can get my hands on the appropriate parts... between now and then, there's a high likelyhood that I"ll be sending my photos to visit yours... :-}

Funny how 40249 and 402 are so easily interchanged.......somebody think we're just gonna forget about the last 2 numbers?????

Steve-
I think you're just supposed to cough as you say the last two digits.

402-cough-<font size="-2">four</font>-cough-<font size="-2">nine</font>

Look what followed me home today......

21712.jpg

21713.jpg

21714.jpg

Shirtman
Let her keep dreaming. You wouldn't believe the letters, email, and phone calls I got after it appeared in print, stating "I got one just like it....", and most of them wanted to sell it to me.

Dave K
Trailer weighs 2500 lbs, has about 4200 lbs on it (4 Originals and a Cub Lo-Boy). 409 weighs 523 lbs, and I would think the other three are about the same, and am guessing the Lo-Boy at 2100 lbs.

Steve-
Welcome to the club! Guess you gotta get something with a Cat-0 now!

Denny-
My 72 is a late one from the series and along with the cloth braded wire harness (The wires were covered in cloth, not just a cloth loom) that was on it, it also has many bolts with "WP" marked on them, so it must have been kind of a "cross" between the two series...

Bryan-
21716.jpg

I'm not seeing any pink wires
happy.gif

(Message edited by aaytay on September 22, 2004)

Jim, on Tuesday you asked about yellow/white vs red 782's. I've got a red 782 which has a cast iron transaxle case with aluminum left and right axle housings (don't remember the proper term). Before I bought the red IH-CC 782 I looked at a yellow/white CCC 782 and it had the same aluminum axle housings, but the transaxle case was also aluminum. Also the CCC 782 hood had two catches to keep it from dropping back down onto your head while working under the hood. The red 782 didn't have these catches. Perhaps these differences are due to the production year or a distinction between IH and CCC labeled 782's.

Back