• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 20, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken,
Duely noted! Appreciate the input on this.

Now time for another off the wall question. A cub low boy rear axle, how wide are they and would they bolt onto a tranny housing off an 82 series tractor? Can you hook them up to a hydrostatic transmission? Where am I going with this... High crop 782! Advantages & disadvantages, am I out to lunch or is it possible? Reason - I really like the Original High Crop that a fellow memeber of I beleive it was this forum made at one time.
230686.jpg

OR.... Is the rear axle and tranny all one piece off a low boy? If so, can it bolt up somehow to the frame of the 82 series and have the shafts line up?

Just bouncing ideas around in my pea brain head today, VERY slow day at work!

Mike - I was going to put a Cub tractor axle drops on a Cub Cadet once but then I started figuring the ratio and it would take all day to drive it out of the garage !
You could take out the drop gears and chain drive it.

For "looks" go for it.
For "USE" forget it !

Get the pdf files for them and study the pics/drawings before you start building.

Why does it move so slow? What makes it move quick when it is on a lowboy? Can you replace drive gears to make it travel faster? I do not want to break land speed records, as long as it goes as fast as the 782 travels now is all I ask for. Its only used for working in the yard and perhaps plowing? Any suggestions on where to find the pdf's of them? I need to find one to study & measure first that's for sure! I agree, I think the looks would be great!

i have a 782 and it seems to continually need more forward speed to get it going and once it is moving you can pull back the speed a little. Any idea on what maybe wearing out. I would like to stay on top of maintance stuff and with winter coming no better time. Thanks for any advice.

Wouldn't that be the trunion plate wearing? I am sure there is others who are MUCH MORE educated on this than me who will chime in.
popcorn1.gif

Steve B.-

I'd be willing to bet the trunion spring slot needs repairing. The trunion cam probably needs shimming as well if not replacing. If the tractor speeds up going downhill and slows going up then this needs attention. The bad news is you have to split the tractor but it's a long term repair and the tractor will operate sooo much better.

I'd get the manual and read all about it first and there's a good write up in the FAQs on the slot repair.

Good luck!

HELP!
Can someone post a close-up picture of the top lift bracket on the back of a original? This is the bracket that the rear lift casting bolts to I think mine is upside down? Also the manual states 3-1/2 quarts of straight 30 weight oil in the rearend, I was thinking of using 90 weight as the price of hy-tran is expensive and I have a gallon of all purpose 90 weight allready? As allways your opinions are apprecieated

Paul - 90# will never make it out to the axle bushings at the end of the housing ... do what ya want.

230698.jpg

If yours is upside down the lift push bar wouldn't hook up.

OK, at the risk of trying your patience here's one other candidate for your commentary...a 582 that's available locally.

Known problems are said to be

1) One of two governor springs are missing, preventing the engine from maintaining normal operating revs.

2) Clutch pilot bushing is said to worn and needs replacement.

The machine runs, engine is said to be the Briggs horiz opposed original.

Points have been replaced with later breakerless unit, engine starts well, and other than " there's some play in the steering box" is claimed to not have other problems.

Anything other I should look for when I go look at this one live and in person?

Thanks again for your patience

John

Back