• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 18, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eford

displayname
Earl Ford
What do you mean by "blows gas out the carb"? Please explain because this doesn't make sense.

Tony I would look at the intake valve for adjustment or burned to the point it isn't sealing good when it closes. Go to your service manual and look at valve adjustment and compression test.

Or it could be ignition timing way early... Of course that would also mean it'd be kicking back against the starter, too.

Tony, has the motor been overhauled, I did a motor once and swapped out the springs and keepers for a set I had lying around, bad idea, the motor would run, but spew gas out the carb, I put the springs and keepers back in that came out and solved the problem, or the spring assembly that's in there has come apart, its behind the breather plate on the carb side of the motor.....

Charlie, any idea what month in 1981 that MTD bought Cub Cadet? And, did they buy it from IH or from CCC?
1a_scratchhead.gif
Or when they bought it from IH they called it CCC for a while until they just rolled it into MTD?
dunno.gif

322517.jpg

no the motor is original valves look good as far as seats clearance is good, springs all look good. motor was running good then points coil and condenser were replaced due to no start. it ran good after they were replaced then out of no were it started running ruff and gas was coming out carb.

Tony S the float may be bad or not set correctly
letting it over fill the bowl.

Kraig/Charlie,

Best recollection I have was that IH announced the sale of the Lawn and Garden Products Division to MTD in early 1981 (February, I think), just before the UAW strike ended. I remember seeing the letter from IH as we were still getting some dealer correspondence from the KC Regional Office at that time even though we were well into the closing process after my grandfather passed in Oct 1980, which ended our dealer contract with IH.

MTD initially set up Cub Cadet Corporation as a separate business entity with its HQ based in Cleveland, OH if I remember correctly. IH had an agreement with Cub Cadet Corp to continue building and supplying Series 82 CC's to IH Dealers which were still painted red. Production of IH built Cub Cadets from the Louisville plant ended in June 1981. Cub Cadet Corp then started assembly/production at a new site somewhere (Springfield? or Lebanon, TN?) after that but I don't remember the location for certain. After the sale CCC had the IH Louisville plant build up ~20000 transmission rear ends and other parts/assemblies to support their startup of production and give them time to source parts from other suppliers and redesign the transmissions for the aluminum housings.

Cub Cadet also then began developing their own dealer network (outside of IH's dealer network) and provided those dealers with Yellow & White painted Cub Cadets but same model number at least for the first two years or so.

I agree with you Charlie that based on the Serial number of Dave's 982, it is a IH Louisville buit unit and it was originally painted red. Apparently it got repainted at some point in its life.

Tony- Condenser grounded well and hooked to the correct side of the coil? If so might want to try another one.

Thanks Ron for the info!! You're quite a wealth of knowledge sir!

Well, it's been a few weeks since I reported on my 127 motor rebuild. I have parts on the way, like the balance plate from Kirk. The block is at the machine shop getting hot tanked and ready for honing oversize.

Life has gotten in the way recently, so it is not moving along as fast as I had planned, but oh well, what can you do?

The electric lift is still laying there, together, along with the new rock shaft to be installed to eliminate the lift handle that was put on.

Sure does look purdy with new tires and shiny painted wheels....too bad it will be snowing before I actually get it running.

Grabbed some seat time tonight , finally....I used my 1450 to dethatch my front yard

Latest posts

Back