• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 15, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the new driveshaft and hub for my 149. Pin came with the hub. Has anyone else had the parts NOT fit together after driving thte pin into the shaft??? Appears that the hole in the shaft is drilled off by just a fraction.
Why me?

Okay, this is a little weird. Last night as we're starting to eat dinner, the doorbell rings. I answer it, and there's a guy who introduces himself and says he lives down the next block. He wants to know if I have an old Cub Cadet. When I tell him I do, he says he has an old one with a sticking clutch. I saw him mowing with it last week. I'm trying to think of when I can find time to mess with it, and he asks if I would be interested in buying it or any of the attachments he has for it. His wife had seen me with mine, and told him to come up and see if I was interested in it. His mechanic (at Tom's least favorite CC dealership) tells him the parts are getting too hard to find and too expensive to buy. He said that some of the stuff is here, and some are at his dad's farm, but he has the tractor (maybe a 122?), a snow blade, deck, cart, and some type of tow-behind yard vac with it's own engine. He's thinking of prices, and I'm supposed to stop by next week after work.
Did you ever have somebody just show up at your house wanting to sell stuff?

Bruce M. -

I tried like crazy to reach out to the guy at the end of the block with a QL, but he never seemed interested. But I have had folks pull down the driveway to look at my Cubs.

Tom H. -

If it's not, it oughta be
lol.gif

PSA? -

Finally, a program worthy of The Discovery Channel, with a message for us all. Yeah, custom choppers, Mustangs that mow and huge toasters are cool, but I think those belong on Spike, not TDC. I've always viewed TDC as a commercial equivalent of PBS. But I digress...

They showed how just 1% methane in the atmosphere can kill an old radial aircraft engine. This MUST have implications for all of us. If you Kohler mysteriously stops running, think - did you just fart?
roflol.gif

Tedd/Jerry -

You might also consider (thanks for the idea Mr. Houtz!) replacing the older wide frame driveshaft setup with the QL setup, with flex discs at both ends.

On the topic of the duals, should i go ahead and let err fly with 2 10.5 titans on the land side for plowing??

Matt, with that wide of tire and the steep angle that a Cub runs at while plowing I would think that the outer tire wouldn't have much ground contact but it would add weight. But then what do I know I never bring a plow tractor I just take videos and photos. :eek:)

robert z

i have that issue w/ my 149, and from what i can gather, the linkage rods all need to be adjusted to get the right ratios so that it functions correctly. the FAQ's outline only goes so far, and i do not know it the shop manual that you can get from the sponsors goes into the detail on how to completely set up the linkages. why does it get so far out of adjustment? i'm not sure, perhaps there is something bent or really worn out. the trunion and it's spring have a lot to do with it, though. my guess is that the slotted plate that the pin rides on (Kraig. insert pictures here) is probably worn enough to mess up the precise action of the linkage. when i get to restoring mine, i'll probably just purchase new parts to freshen it up... good luck

Matt S. -

Kraig's right - your outside wheel will certainly not touch the ground when plowing, and you will likely need a custom length spacer to use 10.5 or 8.5 wheels - the standard spacer size is designed for 6-12 setups.

Are you looking to just have a really wide tractor or do you have an actual reason for thinking about doing this?

Kraig-
But we're gonna change that for this fall...<font size="+2">
Aren't we now Kraig!?!?!?!?!?</font>

Art, K4K is still apart, #2 125 has a rear mounted battery and weight that prevents a 3 point from being mounted and #1 125 needs some work before it can be run including mounting the 3 point. And I don't have time to work on it because I'm building a BIG deck for a friend and I have my house residing project to complete. I could bring the AC620 but it also needs some work before I'd consider it plow ready, and it's a bit big to haul that far.

21572.jpg

Here's a narrow frame hydro linkage showing the slotted plate that Scott was referring too.

My pick for quote of the day! :eek:)
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Kraig's right -<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Bryan- My goal is to build a decent mostly stock plowing machine out of my 122. Say i got a hold of 3 6-12 ags would this improve plowing performance?? Its sounding like 10.5 duals wont do much. Need guidance.

Matt S. -

I've plowed just fine with a single pair of 10.5 TURF tires with chains. There's no need to overdo this.

My 169 has a single pair of 8.5" ags with fluid in the tubes.

Like we've all been saying, at the angle that a garden tractor plows, the left dual probably won't even be touching the ground no matter what width tire you use...

Matt, what you most likely need is more weight on your outside wheel. Start eating more or add weight to the outside wheel or do both. You could build an outrigger seat and bring a passenger..... I think Steve B. has dicussed this as a seat for Steven III.

Umm, Bryan, I think you out weight Matt by a "few" pounds...... :eek:)

Bryan- thanks for your and everyone elses opinions looks like u guys just saved me some money on duals. Ok now lets talk about easy ways to fluid fill my tubes in the 10.5s to carry my light weight self around. Ill be putting 3 26 ih weights on each tire. Think it would still be ok to fluid fill em as well or what i got going to be enough.

Sounds like it's time for a tire bong...

<font size="-2">...and geez guys, let's not all get our undies in a bunch cuz you lost a network packet or two...</font>

Bryan, tire bong or like Travis does, just break the bead and pour in washer fluid. With the tire/wheel off of the tractor and laying on it's side of course. How many emails did you get?

Latest posts

Back