• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 14, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Matt - no fair!!! You're not a Gear Cruncher (according to your profile). Are you just saying that to get rise out of the Crunchers.
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 136
A wise man once told me that if you have a bolt broken off in a casting, the first thing you do unless you are a pro, is take it to a machine shop BEFORE you screw it up trying to get it out, because once you screw it up even they may not be able to remove it......

I'll have to get a pic of me on a cub soon... I agree with Matt on the 'years ago' issue. I'm only 31!
I still picked that k341 up by myself 2 weeks ago when I had to get things moved. 2 feet up off the ground was very high putting it on the trailer...
Got the tie rods ends replaced on the 1200 and also changed the rod from the column gear box to axle. It was bent from improper installation
(me
bottom.gif
)
I don't know why I removed it, but I sure didn't read the manual on how it should go!

Attachments

• bottom.gif
    bottom.gif
    27.7 KB · Views: 148
Harry-

I have a 582 that I will someday finish building the way I want it
wink.gif

Both have their places. Snowthrowing is a task best left for a hydro, IMO.

Attachments

• wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 134
Thrower = hydro

Thrower = high hp

Thrower = full 3600-3700 rpm

Anything less is compromising your ability to succeed. ....

Pot officially stirred!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 139
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 132
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 133
The engine is a piece of cake to take out and put back in.

Wrestling this baby out and back in is the one that will test your grip!
icon_eek.gif

309096.jpg

Attachments

• icon_eek.gif
    icon_eek.gif
    170 bytes · Views: 135
  • 309096.jpg
    309096.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 309096.jpg
    309096.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 155
Marty-

I've always liked that idea you had with the "paint booth". I ought to build myself one and concentrate a little more on looks as well as function. All of mine just wear their working clothes.

I got the 108 running today. It wouldn't start at first so I got out the meter and found a bad connection at one of the safety switches. I don't think I've mentioned it but the piston was stamped .020 so it's definitely been gone through. It didn't smoke and runs just fine. I ran it until it reached operating temp then shut it down to cool for the final torquing. I have to fix some leaking tires but should have it done with a couple of pics tomorrow.

That's another one down and about 18 to go. I think I'll get the pump gasket replaced on the 1250 with the "go to hell" brake spring but I also have a trac vac to build.

And Wayne takes the cake!
Marty, I have lifted a hydro trans before... But let's not talk about fitness.
I'll be happy sharpening the blades on the other 44 deck and mounting on 1200 for rest of summer, and think about the creeper I picked up for it! Got to pick up some female spade connectors for the 100, replacing the push/pull switch back to keyed.

Austin, I picked up a set of reverse drill bits to use in your situation. Put the appropriate size bit in your drill and switch the drill to reverse. Don't press to hard when drilling. The result has always been the broken bolt backs out while drilling.

Well....now I'm undecided about using the QA42A on my 126..It's not equipped with a creeper gear set up and it's very doubtful I'll be looking for a creeper gear box to install on it...Im pretty sure I won't be buying/restoring a hydro drive machine either. I have the 42inch push plow and it moves snow pretty good for a small 12hp machine...

I may mount and try the QA42A just to see how it does. If it don't work out, I got the blade.. I would imagine plenty of people would be interested in buy my QA42A as it truly has seen very little use...

Anyone know how to determine the manufacture date of the snowthrowers? Something in the serial number?

Thanks Ya'll
John

John,

You aren't out anything trying it!!! I just know when I run mine on the hydro I always think, "this would suck on a gear drive".....

Since you have the back-up blade, give it a try!!!

Steve..yeah I may mount the QA42A and see how it works out..I was planning in replacing the auger bearings, maybe the gear box bearings and re-packing the gear box case with synthetic grease. The thrower truly has not seen hardly any use..The wear bar has barely any scratches in the paint, much less the metal. Same for the skid shoes..The inside of the auger drum has 98% of it's original paint as does the inside of the discharge chute..Auger is same condition..It had sat in the loft of a dry barn virtually all it's life...My concern on the bearings is not wear, but the age of the grease inside them..I'd bet it's pretty well dried up.. All the others bearings are greaseable with a grease gun..

So. I may try it and see how well it works out..I have a spring assist on the lift arm rock shaft and weight in the rear tires, plus 2 link tire chains..

I wonder what IH Cub dealers told their customers who had gear drive machines without a creeper gear when they bought the throwers new?

I have been searching for a means of dating the build dates of the QA42A, but so far have not turned up much..

Regards
John

John-
I would buy one of those needles with the zerk on them and just add some grease to those bearings. Don't worry about using the gear drive for blowing snow just ride the clutch when you need to slow down. The hydro by far is a better option but a gear drive is a heck of a lot better than a shovel!! There has been snow blowers on gear drive ag tractors for many years. It doesn't help the clutch but it won't wear it out right away either.

All of this talk about riding the clutch sort of gets to me. Matt explained on the last page why NOT to ride the clutch. Once they get glazed they will stick and slip to the point of aggravation. I learned from an early age to get my foot off of the clutch pedal once you're in the gear needed.

Being in the south all of my life I'm totally inexperienced with snow blowing but I can easily see how the hydros are better suited for such a job.

John your there with the spring assist. I think you'll find your own answer for this after actually using it together. I have blown snow with both, but not a cub gear drive. It was a Sears with a six speed, essentially had a creeper integrated already. I prefer hydro for infinite speed control, unless you have a worn trunion!
You may decide that locating a creeper is worth while, or that selling it is better. I'll start saving my pennies in case I need to visit Kentucky next year!
bouncy.gif

Attachments

• bouncy.gif
    bouncy.gif
    2 KB · Views: 135
I completely disagree on riding the clutch, cost me a disc on the 1200 pulling a self contained tiller. Blew that sucker apart, I presume it was already going but that finished it off

Marty

I seen your "rear" hangin,
biggrin.gif

I was also checking out some of the before & after pics of the 70 you finished back in 2010. I've seen a lot of the 128 w/ stack pics. I do remember recently you had mentioned getting started on a, I believe it was a 100, if I remember correctly?
I just have to say, from what I can see on these resized forum pics, ALL your work is truly amazing!!! Second to none!!! I would definitely describe your cubs as more of a passion than a hobby!

I'm assuming there is another level of the yellow & white fever I've yet to encounter?

Since day one I knew my 149 was going to work. So I made the necessary repairs and did some rattle can painting along the way. Heck there is still plenty of oil, dirt, and grease from PO on my 149 hiding in those deep dark places that can't really be seen in the pics I post. I guess going in I was geared more toward a refurb than a restoration.

I would Really Love to do an actual 149 Restoration sometime before I quit suckin air,,, Big oLe sigh,,,,

Anyway Very Nice work Marty, I can't wait to see the cub all finished in its glory!
thumbsup.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Earl,

"31" and your IH list is that long, OMG
Just to give a little perspective, when I was 31 I still had 15yrs to go before my first IH purchase! Geez
old.gif

biggrin.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 136
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 136
  • old.gif
    old.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 137
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 133
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 130
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 139
So I drilled the bolt enough for a easy out to grab it and turned it out. So thats the last of that issues. My next issue is the brake arm on the transaxle. one end the loop is broken, but its also not up and down like the other one. so its not like even with the other one. Has anyone straigten one out? is two peices of metal thats making it do that?

Ha, Earl I'll keep you mind if I decide to sell the QA42A. I'd probably just want to get back out of it what I paid for it, which was decent enough deal considering it's overall condition. Of course the paint has a dusty kept in a barn loft for years patina to it, but it's really in remarkable condition compared to others I've seen online...Down here, I think they are pretty rare..I felt very lucky at the time to even find one, much less one virtually unused..

We'll see how it works out. I started to buy a self propelled snowthower last year, But opted to just get my 126 out and running, plus buying the blade and blower..I probably spent about the same amount of money after tires, 2 link chain, ballast fluid, new Kohler coil, condenser, points,points cover, plug wire kit, fuel bowl,seat, and assorted other things that slip my mind at present..I kept all my receipts in case I ever wanted to tally it all up..But....maybe not now..LOL..

Thanks
John

Austin -

Very Glad to hear you got that bolt out,
thumbsup.gif

The Brake Arm: if one of yours is Broken,,,
Part # IH-528630-R1 are available at top of page from
ccspecialties
Or maybe a donor or parts cub has one you can use,,,,
# 3 on diagram if that is the part you are referring to?

309104.jpg

309105.jpg

Also # 4 on diagram the "Brake Pivot" on my 149 was seized when purchased!
Neither of the Brake Arms would move AT ALL!!!!!

309106.jpg

Once I finally got the brake pivot out and cleaned up and reinstalled then the Brake Arms would Move freely Forwards and Backwards!

I'm thinking this "might" be what you are talking about???

happy.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 130
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 127
  • 309106.jpg
    309106.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 309105.jpg