• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 11, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
322439.jpg

Charlie, I like to think we're all just a bit speechless today... Where did you find that flag photo?

Charlie, ah. I don't do Facebook. I do know who Callista is however.

Charlie,

Great posts/pics!
I will never get over what happened that day, and don't want to.
I do not visit the social media either. What is the story behind that flag?

Charlie,

Thanks for the tribute to those who lost their lives 17 years ago today. We must never forget. Driving into work this morning I passed two fire stations and the firemen on duty at both were gathered out in front of their stations to pray, remember and honor those lives lost during the time the attacks occurred. I still remember exactly where I was when I first heard the news on the radio that morning 17 years ago. Seems just like yesterday.

My wife spent 3 weeks at ground zero as a nurse with the Red Cross taking care of the rescue crews. She wanted to stay longer but they wouldn’t let her. She said the foot injuries were gruesome. She still has the hard hat they issued her.

Jim and Gerry, thanks for your input! I have a few heads laying around, I think I'm going to try both methods and see what I get. As for torquing, I followed the recommended order, but haven't let it sit and gone over it multiple times.

Charlie, thank you! 9/11 is a day I won't ever forget.

Doug, I'm with Charlie and Earl, a big THANK YOU! to your wife.

I had to leave my #2 125 set outside for several days while I was using it's parking space to store my garlic while I was curing it and the Cub got rained on. After that it wouldn't start. First thing I checked was the spark plug. No spark. I swapped out a different plug and a plug wire still no spark. Then I noticed that the LED on the Points Saver was staying lit. I had a suspicion that the always lit LED meant that the points were never closing, or never getting continuity. I sent an email to David Kirk regarding the LED, he promptly replied and confirmed my suspicion and gave me good instructions on cleaning the points contacts as well as some other things to check if cleaning the points didn't fix it. I wanted to work on it in my garage so I rolled it in by hand, which was much easier than I was thinking it was going to be seeing that it was parked out in the back yard.

322449.jpg

The lower points cover mounting screw on a narrow frame is slightly below the top of the frame I was going to have to lift the engine slightly to gain access. I have a steel I-Beam in my garage that is ideal for lifting heavy objects. I use a come along and some hooks onto the I-Beam. I removed the mower deck sub-frame, then the hood and grill then loosened the engine mounting bolts and lifted the engine up 1/4" or so and removed the points cover.

322450.jpg

I used some electronic contact cleaner, Peavy brand "Funk Out" on some thin cardboard to clean the points. After several passes with the cardboard still no continuity. I then tried some 400 grit wet/dry sand paper folded in half and soaked with the contact cleaner. That did the trick.

322451.jpg

While I had the grill off I replaced one headlight that had burned out. Then I got it all back together and got the mower deck mounted and parked it back in it's normal space out of the weather.

Oh, and while I had it in the garage I noticed this. Sigh... another thing to fix.

322452.jpg

I really need to clean this engine (actually the entire tractor). Ever since the episode a couple of winters ago when the breather froze up and ejected the dip stick and a bunch of oil, the engine has been a mess.
sad.gif

I am looking for a source to get the 3/4 inch id shim washers to get the proper end play for my 129 front wheels. Please help Thank you

Now grind a little radius in the frame rail so you can get at the screw next time.I use allen head screws easier to put in than slotted screws.

Mike, I had considered grinding or filing a slot but did not. I already have the Allen head screws installed, and yes, they are much easier to use than the slotted style heads.

Kraig M,

Just drill a small hole in the frame rail big enough to get the Allen head screw through and in line with the hole axis in the block. IH did exactly that on the 1X6/7 models.

Ron, I've seen that done on other Cubs. All that is needed is a small slot like Mike mentioned. But as I posted, I considered it but decided not to slot it. I've been around Cubs for almost 50 years, this is the first time I've ever had to mess with the points. I think I'm going to leave the frame unmolested.
happy.gif
Not that this particular Cub hasn't been altered, it certainly has been,
icon_eek.gif
but it doesn't need another mod.

I have a 125 on the left hand side is a lever that has a sticker I can not read .it says something about towing. It is a hydrostatic drive. The level seems to rest on the two valves on top of the drive unit. Does everyone know what the sticker says

Back