• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 09, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abriar

displayname
Adam Briar
Nice work Wes. You may want to weld some plates on the inside over top of your weld seams to add some strength to keep the frame from cracking at the welds.

Adam, that was going to be my next job after I get the welds ground down smooth. I was going to use the stick welder for more penetration on the 1/8" plates I was going to weld in. I am also thinking of putting some round rod in the bent lip for strength. I need to lift up the front and put a good bead on the bottom yet. Tonight I get the motor mounts cut down and pick up an air cleaner. I hope to have the driveshaft adapter by the weekend.

Way to go, Wes. Enjoying your progress.
thumbsup.gif

I took a weeks vacation to get some car repairs done and to work on the 149D project. Here are the last 2 days of progress.

First to grind the welds down and weld in stiffener plates

290387.jpg

290388.jpg

Then the prep and paint. In my haste I added a few runs for good measure. If it works out good, it will get a complete paint job next year

290389.jpg

The engine mounting plates are modified and mounting holes drilled

290390.jpg

And the driveshaft adapter plate is mounted

290391.jpg

I hope to get the engine installed in the frame either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday. Tomorrow morning I am going to get some prices on getting a radiator made up to cool it. Then get a fuel tank set-up, power some components, and see if it will start. Then it is the rest of the wiring, install the radiator and alternator and see how she runs.

Jeff, I am looking forward to that day also. Then the next will be seeing how it pulls a plow in Illinois.

OK, had to help the brother-in-law move Saturday so tonight was engine install time. Here is tonight's progress.

290553.jpg

290554.jpg

290555.jpg

Wes--that is coming together nicely! Thanks for the great pics. I hope that you can post a video of that thing running and in action when you get it finished. I'd love to see/hear it run.

I thought i would put my first post up here.

I Modified an old Cub 100 when I was in college as a side project. It didn't have an engine or any implements so I decided to go and do something completely different.

I ended up with a worn out 45 hp 1.5L VW diesel industrial engine. it had come out of a boat and had not run in years. Rebuilt the injection pump and the injectors and it fired right up. Runs pretty well and makes good horsepower. I have added a turbo. It cleans up the high load situations but it doesn't do a whole lot.

I CNC'd an adapter plate with a 6 Pin Driver. It has worked really well and has definitely saved the clutch disc.

I stretched the frame 28 inches to accommodate the engine's size. I used 2x4" box tubing to insure that the frame would be rigid at the extended length.

I originally used the cub steering box with an extended steering arm, but it just couldn't take it. I converted it to full hydraulic steering using a VW power pump, a steering valve and a hydraulic cylinder. works really nice.

Soon after the steering conversion i converted the front wheels to 4 on 4" wheels with tapered roller bearings. I had worn out two sets of bearings and a set of wheels with the heavy engine. works so much better.

It has been a fun project for sure. A continuously improving one at that. Just put on a turbo. Next on the agenda is a hydraulic sleeve hitch and a hydraulic snow plow attachment.

292986.jpg

Alex, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Very interesting custom! More photos please.
happy.gif

Alex..Nice work!! Have you hooked to anything to test pulling power? Looks like it would do a good job at it.

I have pulled a 69 chevy c10 down the street with the driver riding the brakes. It was grinding the tires into the street and it was trying pull a front tire up. It only has a single disc clutch so I try not to launch with it too much. I have pulled some stumps and logs around a local park. It pulls ok needs more rear wheel weight. Below is a walk around of the tractor with me explaining the build.

http://youtu.be/OKJMzLWWJeY

http://youtu.be/ipt6tS2yiUI

Alex. What an awesome machine! Very unique. The second video had me grinning from ear-to-ear. A smoker's dream machine. I would try to find things to do in my own and my neighbor's yard, just to get the seat time if I owned the machine. Throttle control is super-cool, as is the fuel delivery setup; from tank to injectors. Again, super cool. Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup.gif

Really neat 100. I have a 1991 VW Jetta with the 1.6 N/A in it. Not a bad little car, I can just imagine the pull it has with a 500lb 100 strapped to it... I know the N/A is only like 54hp, but into the 70's on torque. Not sure what the hair dryer adds, but I would bet into the 70's on HP and into the 100's for torque. Neat build!!!!

Thanks guys!

The turbo is a bit big so it doesn't do a whole lot. Cleans up the smoke a little bit at high rpms but I haven't loaded down since putting the turbo on. Since the injection is not boost compensated it doesn't make a ton of power with the addition of the turbo. More of just a fun project to see if it would work. Haha.

Back