Adam, that was going to be my next job after I get the welds ground down smooth. I was going to use the stick welder for more penetration on the 1/8" plates I was going to weld in. I am also thinking of putting some round rod in the bent lip for strength. I need to lift up the front and put a good bead on the bottom yet. Tonight I get the motor mounts cut down and pick up an air cleaner. I hope to have the driveshaft adapter by the weekend.
I hope to get the engine installed in the frame either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday. Tomorrow morning I am going to get some prices on getting a radiator made up to cool it. Then get a fuel tank set-up, power some components, and see if it will start. Then it is the rest of the wiring, install the radiator and alternator and see how she runs.
I Modified an old Cub 100 when I was in college as a side project. It didn't have an engine or any implements so I decided to go and do something completely different.
I ended up with a worn out 45 hp 1.5L VW diesel industrial engine. it had come out of a boat and had not run in years. Rebuilt the injection pump and the injectors and it fired right up. Runs pretty well and makes good horsepower. I have added a turbo. It cleans up the high load situations but it doesn't do a whole lot.
I CNC'd an adapter plate with a 6 Pin Driver. It has worked really well and has definitely saved the clutch disc.
I stretched the frame 28 inches to accommodate the engine's size. I used 2x4" box tubing to insure that the frame would be rigid at the extended length.
I originally used the cub steering box with an extended steering arm, but it just couldn't take it. I converted it to full hydraulic steering using a VW power pump, a steering valve and a hydraulic cylinder. works really nice.
Soon after the steering conversion i converted the front wheels to 4 on 4" wheels with tapered roller bearings. I had worn out two sets of bearings and a set of wheels with the heavy engine. works so much better.
It has been a fun project for sure. A continuously improving one at that. Just put on a turbo. Next on the agenda is a hydraulic sleeve hitch and a hydraulic snow plow attachment.
I have pulled a 69 chevy c10 down the street with the driver riding the brakes. It was grinding the tires into the street and it was trying pull a front tire up. It only has a single disc clutch so I try not to launch with it too much. I have pulled some stumps and logs around a local park. It pulls ok needs more rear wheel weight. Below is a walk around of the tractor with me explaining the build.
Alex. What an awesome machine! Very unique. The second video had me grinning from ear-to-ear. A smoker's dream machine. I would try to find things to do in my own and my neighbor's yard, just to get the seat time if I owned the machine. Throttle control is super-cool, as is the fuel delivery setup; from tank to injectors. Again, super cool. Thanks for sharing.
Really neat 100. I have a 1991 VW Jetta with the 1.6 N/A in it. Not a bad little car, I can just imagine the pull it has with a 500lb 100 strapped to it... I know the N/A is only like 54hp, but into the 70's on torque. Not sure what the hair dryer adds, but I would bet into the 70's on HP and into the 100's for torque. Neat build!!!!
The turbo is a bit big so it doesn't do a whole lot. Cleans up the smoke a little bit at high rpms but I haven't loaded down since putting the turbo on. Since the injection is not boost compensated it doesn't make a ton of power with the addition of the turbo. More of just a fun project to see if it would work. Haha.