• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 08, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Austin E., looks like you need to adjust the high speed jet. The proper procedure is in the manual. And I think Charlies FAQ has a how-to as well.

If'n I was standing next to it, I'd probably say it has two carb problems 1: float too high.. 2: High speed circuit plugged (assuming that it won't run up without the choke). But that's a diagnosis from beyond chargeable range and you know how much free advise is worth..
coffee.gif

Why? It's puffing black smoke (unburnt gas from being way to rich at low speed) and you have to choke it to get it running above half speed (you're now out of the low speed/idle circuit and into the high speed circuit that's not feeding enough gas to run without choking it, which makes it suck more gas through the idle circuit and / or some from a mostly plugged high speed circuit.

Austin, is the condenser attached on the points side (negative) of the coil? Are your valves adjusted to the right gaps?

Kenny,
The condenser is on the neg side.

Now that I set the main jet and idle to factory settings, it will run with choke on BUT it throttle up high and a red glow out the exhaust. Would this be because its running a bit lean? I'll go check the valves

I went to go adjust the valves, turns out exhaust valve was out of spec, fixed that. intake valve was fine. Still runs fine on choke. But once you take choke off it dies.

Your high speed (main jet) passages are plugged or the main jet is undersized. Choking it increases the vacuum at the venturi in the carb, which increases the fuel flow, but with a bad air/fuel ratio. You've pretty much defined the problem (Cheap Amazon replacement). Quality control is really poor on these ripoff of good design carbs.

Back