• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 08, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the BB36s go, how are they engaged? The timed 38" decks have the lever to engage them, I didn't see a lever or a actuating device on the BB36.

21424.jpg

Charlie,
Is number 4 a pull-type lock to engage it?
Does it use a belt to drive a universal from the pulley to the impeller?
Last question...honest.

Okay I'm going to make this my final chapter on the mower deck modification. Looks like it will soon be time for snow throwers for a bunch of you, even though I've got a lot of mowing ahead of me this year.

Didn't look like I baffled many with the nomenclature, my thought was (Super Modified-50c-With Front Swivel Gauge Wheels.

Today I put the finishing touches on the Deck. Undercoated it with the Spray on Truck Bed liner from Wally World.

21428.jpg

Due to the extra weight the tires I was using on the back didn't look like they were up to the job so I used the same tires that I used on the front. They are 5 inch steel with rubber coating, same as I used on my hoist. I purchased them from Harbor Freight, one set of swivel and one set of straight wheels, extremely rugged and reasonable priced.

21429.jpg

This one is for Bryan; I welded a T on the rod for the rear hangers, really helps on installing and removing.

21430.jpg

Due to the side bars you need a hoist of some sort to mount the mower deck, as it would have to be jacked up pretty high to slide it under the tractor from the side. With the hoist and the 4 gauge wheels it rolls under and hooking it up is a snap.

21431.jpg

When I started this project I tore the mower down, cleaned it up, put it back together, lined up all of the blades, this required some forming of the deck skin like Steve B. has mentioned in the past. Then I added a couple of bolts to the back of the triangle metal bracket to hold it down to the deck and not allow dirt to accumulate between the deck skin and the metal plate.

Once I had the deck skin and the blades aligned I placed the deck on the concrete floor, removed the rear gauge wheels and blocked the deck skin up so the blades were all the proper distance from the floor. Then with a Big Hammer I adjusted the rear gauge wheel brackets so they were both the same distance from the floor. Then I built the supports and the front gauge wheels so all 4 gauge wheels were the same distance from the floor.

Due to the length of this post I will have to split it up, end of part one.

Okay part two.

Today I mounted the complete deck with gauge wheels on the tractor. When I set up a deck I like to have all the wheels about 1/4 inch above the floor when the blades are at the correct cutting height. I adjusted the back to level it and the front hangers to the correct height. I use a small block of wood cut to the distance I want the blades to be above the ground, then adjust until I can just slide the wood block under the blades, front and back.

21433.jpg

Finished project left side.

21434.jpg

Right side.

21435.jpg

Now for the field test report. I can honestly tell you this is the first time I have been happy with the mowing results of a 50 inch deck. All the extra time spent getting the blades correct and the leveling made the cut look like carpet, and the 4 gauge wheels prevented the gouging when I run up against the irrigation berms. The deck is considerably heavier but that only seems to make it ride better and with hydraulic lift the weight doesn't matter, also the solid rod replacement for the quick disconnect pins is a change I would recommend for every 50 inch deck, prevents the deck from bouncing around.

Would I do anything different? Of course, you need to build something to find out a better way. I have another 50 inch deck to do and it will probably have up and down adjustable front swivel casters as I think I have way of doing that.

Found this picture the other day and I would say it is one happy Cubber

21437.jpg

The remains of francis got us good up here in Erie, PA, flooding many areas that havent seen that kind of flooding since the mid 50's. Should keep the grass growing for some time yet, at least till the snow falls. usualy by mid september I can ditch the mower deck and mount the snow blade, but not this year. Will be giving the 882d a workout tomorrow, grass has really grown with all the rain we have gotten. Stay safe all you cubbers down in Florida and the Keys.

Bryan,
I thought Hydro had the 60 deck under a post IH CC SGT? Don't remember him having a 1650. I do remember him telling me that the 60 deck was heavy enough to break your back though. I hope he chimes in. Haven't heard from him in a while. Anyone have good pics of a #2 cart showing wheel and tag details, I have to authenticate one I might buy this morning. Thanks, Kenny

Kenny W. -

That may be what the 60" deck was for, but I remember him telling me that he tried it on a QL.

Not saying that was his permanent mower setup...

Need to know what the conversion is from inch pounds to foot pounds for K series engines head. What do you guys use for the foot pound tourque??

Tom H:

The Kohler Service Manual states 25 to 30 Foot Pounds of Torque.

Roland

Nice work Richard!!!!

I agree 100%...a 50" deck without "help" is a hard thing to keep level and mowing well......looks like you have a very nice solution for it's weaknesses!!!!

Only suggestion I would make for the next one is to sister a 1/8" x 3" wide x ???length piece of flat stock to the top of the deck under the rear hangers. This really helps distrubute the load on the rear hangers and keeps them from pulling through the deck skin over time (especially with your heavier than ususal deck). In the pic you posted the other day of my latest 44" you can see the extra metal across the back of the deck.

Once again, nice work!!!!

Tom H.

Multiply or divide by 12 depending on which direction you wan to make the conversion...

FT -> in = x12
in -> ft = /12

Richard C:

That is one sweet piece of work, and as per usual well thought out as well. The only other possible mod I could think of would be to add a spring assist to the tractor. Even though weight isn't a factor with the hydraulic lift the spring assist will take a lot of the mower weight off of the ground making it float much easier, although the wheels on all four corners may have that problem cured already.

I love reading your posts and always seem to learn something from them!!

Denny, Art:

I have a 60" IH deck on my 154 and I have to agree it cuts great. I'll admit that the smooth sound of the 4 cylinder engine makes mowing feel and sound better also. The 60" deck on mine looks like a cc 48" deck on steroids.

A big thank you to Carter-Gruenwald for stocking 30 year old parts. Ken seems to train good help. The 149 gets a new shaftand hub setup again. Should be ready to break in before snow gets here!
Anyone want to start a pool on how long before someone wants to set up a snowblade??? Hope Steve is ready.

Richard Christensen
Very nice job on the deck. Excellent craftsmenship!
I was admiring your gantry hoist. I supposed you made that? Where did you get the hoist?

Latest posts

Back