• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 29, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike H.,
I have a similar shirt at work, but I am sure it will not fit you. It has the logo on the front

Well, the wind is over and now it is snowing! Have over an inch and it is coming doun hard. Snow blade and chains are ready. Another winter with a 7hp snowplow. Originals love snow!!!!!!!
Hey Jeff come over and play!!!!

A response to the farm communities from a semi non farm community cub owner.
I'm the pin in N. Mich. moved here from Buffalo, N.Y. another non farm community. After mutilating a few lesser quality machines, I ran across sommething called a cub cadet and couldn't believe the way they were built. I used the mower to clear small saplings and brush on property that I put a house on. I have had about 5 cubs, all were sold after blowing the motors. Never new there was a group so attached to these machines as I have been. Great to read what everyone has to offer as advise and pic posts....... Thanks All..JIM

Does anyone have any information on a modification that will lock the rear differential on demand

Heh, keep those group photos coming. Email them to me if you like. The guy is early to mid 20's. I think he may have had a gotee (like that narrows it down). He was taking pics of Originals.

Daryl, Yes, It's a devise called a welder. Open the rear cover up and drain all the fluid out. Attach the ground to the center section (not the ring gear) and weld the "teeth" of the spider gears to each other. This locks both axles together for as long as they both shall live.

thanks guys but it might be a little awkard when I want to disengage to go arround corners

Daryl, I actually wondered about putting a limited slip in one. The Dart rearend that the pullers use would be ideal.

The pullers will have to speak up here. I know they use the dart carriers, but I don't know if they were offered in limited slip.

You might be able to shim up the side gears too.

Thank you "Lord". I will pursue it further with the pullers but it is a good lead. Thanks again from eastern Canada

okay pullers, Can anyone direct me to someone that knows about the Dart differential modification and wheather it can be done with a limited slip differential

Daryl & Travis:

Check with the drag racing community. The dart rearend that was used behind the 273 V-8 had a limited slip available. Not sure where one could be found today. If you checked with the Teutons down Florida way, I would bet that they could come up with one. They are a big mopar racing bunch as well as dealers.

Not sure where they are from exactly but check on Superstockforum.com. I believe that is where they hang out.

Daryl, I'm not sure about the specifics on installation. But I can tell you a local machinist
priced it out to me at about 7-900 bucks for a complete job. That was me taking my gear drive rear end plus the dodge 7 1/4 differencial and axles to him. Of course that doesn't include any tranny internal goodies other than tear down and put it all back together. This was three or four years ago so it's prolly more now. A donor car for the rear end would be a slant 6 "A" body (Dart, Scamp, Up to a 69 Barracuda) with an auto. Shift cars usually got the 8 1/4. There are several sponsors here that pull and know a lot more about it than I do. Post a question over on the pulling board and see what comes up.

CA fires.....

Brother-in-law lives in Ramona, CA...he was about 10 miles from the starting point of the San Diego fire and his community was one of the first hit. For ???"luck"??? his house was on the edge of the subdivision and received a lot of attention from the FD...back-fires, etc. It was one of the first areas to be hit, so the fire-fighting forces were not spread thin yet. His house is fine, but about 30 homes within his subdivision are a complete loss...the whole mountain that borders his backyard is nothing more than rock and ash. A REALLY BAD DEAL out there!!!!!

Daryl-
I just spoke to a friend via email who just welded up the spider gears in his Cub diff about two days ago. Both he and I were wondering what it would to the "turnability" of his cub (an original) but he said "what the heck" and gave it a try as an experiment.

In his report back to me after the surgery, he said that it did turn differently, but nothing that couldn't be lived with for the gains in his mind that it produced.

For the $700-900 that Dave Ross just mentioned, you could buy a welder big enough to build a bridge <font size="-2">Well, almost..</font> and do the job yerself for free!

I wonder if locking up the diff in a cub would cause it to break something when the "spinning wheel" can't spin and only one wheel is carrying the torque.

Let me know and I can connect you and my friend via email if it helps....

Herb G.,
In a word, YUP. Jim Chabot had the same problem on his 169, a leaking coil. It was a bear to start at the Spring Kent show this spring, ended up soaking the plug. It was after wearing down the battery that we took off the plug wire at the coil and found it was wet with oil. A fresh plug off another machine was needed to start it. Jim always wondered why the paint never stuck to that coil!
Kenny

Roy N. my '68 105 came from Weymouth, MA not known as a farming area, but as a residential community. It now lives in Andover,MA., snow throwing my 550 foot driveway and towing other implements when needed. Before all the mega-housing development, there were several small working farms in Andover.

Back