• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 28, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Finally got a response from the 128 I saw locally. After looking up the tax records and finding a landowner where the cub was sitting, I mailed a letter to them. They called the other day and gave me the usual pitch. The cub belonged to his nephew and he was getting ready to refurb it. Funny, the 128 looked as if it has been sitting for 20+ years, and now all of a sudden it is getting a refurb! He also went on to tell me how nice the cub was, and only needed a little touch up to get it to mint condition.
rofl.gif

From my observation:the tires were dryrotten and flat. The rims may have been rusty on the inside. The carb looked like all of it was not there. The steering wheel, dash, and controls looked rough. Nuf said. I told him that was OK and thanks for calling. Got the impression he thought the yellow color was gold!

Does anybody know what it takes to rebuild a hydralic pump on a 982. Is there a rebuild kit for that particular model.It wants to surge when ur using the lift and have to go to reverse when you want to stop.,tractor has only bout 600 hours on it so i woudnt think it would be worn out change hyd. filter just the last week and checked oil level.any help would be appreciated

Tom-

I learned from a fellow member here that you can put the dowel in the freezer until very cold then heat the driveshaft. This will allow you to drive the dowel in. If the hole is wallowed a bit and the dowel falls out some use a hose clamp around the coupler the dowel goes in to keep it there. I've got that rig on a couple of mine and it does work. Another method or fix would be to convert it to what the QLs have with a coupler and flex disc. Like Jeff said using a coiled roll pin would just be wizzing in the wind. The OEM dowel is very hard and will last a good while in most cases.

BILLY - There's no real rebuild kit for the charge pump & hydro motor for a 982. The surge you described is pretty common, my 982 does it too. There's adjustments you can do to minimize the surge but I don't think you'll ever be able to eliminate it. The charge pump only runs about 200 PSI until the hyd levers/valves are moven then jumps up to 700-900 PSI, and that jump in pressure is what you're feeling.

Sounds like your hydro needs a "neutral adjustment" since you have to pull back into reverse to stop. The hydro speed/direction control pivot is held on to the rearend with two bolts, you loosen those two bolts slightly, then lightly tap the bracket up or down till the neutral creep stops. Better instructions available in the manual, the Hydro section starts on page 3-36, http://ccmanuals.info/pdf/82-72%20Series%20Chassis%20Manual.pdf

Look for "Cam bracket adjustment". The center frame cover will have to be removed, but the whole rearend can stay in the tractor.

Ok, I'm stumped.
I picked up a rear wheel PTO adapter over the week end. I believe it's an IH unit (has all IH carriage bolts).
I'm trying to find a picture or part number in some IH manuals but can't find anything.

Anyone have a link, pics or part number?

Rick, I seem to recall seeing one on here but I can't find any info in my archives...
bash.gif

Is this like a flat belt pulley bolted to the wheel??
1a_scratchhead.gif

Gerry, I believe it's a splined PTO shaft welded to a plate that bolts to the wheel hub. Kind of like the Unicorn log splitter.

I am putting my 147 back together and was wondering if I left off the fan drive shaft guard what effects would there be? Any help is appreciated.

Frank, that's a belt pulley attachment but I can't tell you what tractor it would fit. It looks like it might have been red at one time which would indicate IH or Ford. The Cub and the A-B-C Farmalls used one, and the Ford N series used one.

This is what I found loooking for a picture of a Cub belt pully attachment - looks a LOT like yours.

248099.jpg

Kraig - must involve jackstands and something to keep that gearbox from rotating??? Need pictures O Great Keeper Of All Things Visual..
1a_scratchhead.gif

Rick-
I don't think that is an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT>-built attachment, so that would make it more of an "accessory" and wouldn't be found on the parts lists. I have one that had the remnants of a decal from the company that manufactured it (Some place in Mpls if I remember correctly) on it before I repainted it.

Maybe someone added the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> bolts at a later time which would lead us to believe that it is <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> built even though it isn't...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Gerry-
I guess the jack-stands wouldn't be necessary if you were REALLY strong!
roflol.gif

Gerry, Rick, I've been looking. I thought sure I had a data sheet for one but so far...
pcwhack.gif

Art, thanks for the info. I went looking in some photos that I got from you and found this:

248101.jpg

The wheel mounted PTO attachment I have doesn't have IH bolts nor are there any part numbers. I hope someone can come up with the manufacturer.
My dad opted to equip the 70 with a rear PTO, run it through a Ford truck transmission, and then through a speed jack to run the bucket elevator and wagon hoist. Amazing what that 7HP Kohler could do!

248106.jpg

248107.jpg

Checkout ...Farm Show Mag...Car wheel PTO adapter. Just don't forget to disconnect PTO after lowering vehicle to the ground. I remember seeing silver plate with PTO stub welded to it , I don't recall if was at dealer(where I worked ) or in a brochure/photo. Paul T, that's it.
err.gif

Paul & Art,

That's indeed what it looks like. It has the remnants of silver paint. Sorry no pics, my camera seems to be MIA.
I'm sure some IH purist could not stand to bolt it to his Cub without using IH bolts.
err.gif

Back