• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 26, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
HEY... Steve Blunier is FAMOUS! Todd Markle wrote a full page article with four pictures about Steve's #520 semi-mounted plow he built.

Nic B...Thanks for all the info on oil. Makes alot more sense now , then it did 2 days ago. lol Basically all I knew about the difference in the 2 were synthetic you could go farther between oil changes and doesnt break down as fast versues regular oil. From here on out,I'm going to keep using it.Even though it cost a lil more, its well woth it. Not to mention it doesnt smoke very much anymore,if any since I been using it just the normal when you first start it up when its been sittin.

I know Nic wasnt the only one who posted on this topic,so thanks to everyone else that put there info up as well

Larry:
More convenient than baby powder is Dr. Scholl's foot powder in a spray can.. We found a leak in a Powerglide that would only show up when the transbrake was on and about 650 horses were torquing things up... One run and we verified what we'd thought.. (of course red transmission fluid shows up really well against any white powder...)

Dennis-

I just go after the leaves and try and have the grass cut before they fall heavy. I blow them up in a pile then use two leaf rakes, one in each arm to pinch the leaf pile. This method picks up the better part of a bushel and it takes about forty (guessing, never counted) of them to load the trailer. I then haul them to the woods where I have a slot cut off to the side and back the trailer into the slot. I then use the backpack blower to unload the trailer by standing in the front and blowing them off of the rear. I also leave the blower in the woods when I'm doing many loads. It takes less than 60 seconds. So...about 5 minutes to load and a minute to unload is what one cycle takes plus the travel time. I think I hauled 14 loads to the woods last year, maybe a few more. It gives me a little cub time and I really enjoy getting the leaves up. The thing that takes the most time is blowing them up but I get a lot of thinking done.

Ryan-

I have gone over all grounds that I can find. I even found a hanging safety switch plug without a jumper so I made one. It didn't help. I've pushed the 124 into the barn for now until after this weather event so I'll check for more later. I just wish I had smaller hands to deal with that darn solenoid. If you lived a bit closer I'd take you up on that 124 your selling. Someone will get a nice little tractor. I have 3 and they have been a lot of fun. One of them came with a 59M shredder mounted and I got it for what you're asking for just the tractor.

Thanks for the input.

Wayne - I'm not convinced yet that your current battery is strong enough. Why don't you give it a BIG boost.

K341 Carb:
247888.jpg

247889.jpg

Aside from being filthy dirty outside, I see nothing to indicate where the greenish stuff came from on the head and block deck.
I'm so glad I didn't buy this thing 2 years ago!
Feels good to write K341, though!
happy.gif

Tolja, Hydro, I'm savoring this!
Now, the carb (#30, BTW) goes to take a bath in the Gunk can.
happy.gif

High speed needle:
247895.jpg

This is fuzzy, but you'll get the point.
I've had a couple carbs apart. This needle is different. The hole at the pointy end doesn't go all the way through and there's 2 through holes where the arrow points under the screw head. This was screwed out 2 turns, but the low speed needle was almost closed. (Still looking for excuses for the greenish stuff). Don't be surprised if I post a pic of the HC10 plug later.
happy.gif

Harry-

The installed battery is putting out 12.2 or so volts and I used jumper cables to connect yet another battery and got the same results.

It's just one of those things that's going to jump out soon and say "hey, dumba$$, check this". Then the problem will be solved. I'm just sick and tired of working in tight spaces on a nf. I'm a wf kind of guy (even though I do enjoy ALL cubs).

Thanks again for the input.

I haven't posted here for years...and am now reviving my 123 after almost 10 years of storage.

I bought it very used in 1997, rebuilt the Kohler, the hydro, replaced the brake linings (last part out of the housing on a 123) and then my 123 worked hard on 2 acres in MN, mowing, raking leaves, hauling dirt/rock, and blowing snow.
Now it is coming out of retirement in CA to rebuild my backyard with a rear blade and mower.

I am amazed that I can still order parts, many parts, for my 1967 123.

Best of all, I am also amazed at the contributions from this group to the Cub Cadet knowledge base. I have looked up answers to many problems on the faqs and by searching past posts.

And the parts I bought from this forum over the years are now being installed and they all fit.

This week I split the tractor, installed the #$%#! hydro gasket again, replaced the leaking suction line, installed a helper spring for the lift, fixed all the other leaks, carb kit, new battery, will be ready to go tomorrow.

Thanks for maintaining such a great website and knowledge base. I grew up with IH, my Dad was an IH dealer in southwestern MN for over 50 years and it is great to see that red/yellow still lives.

Dean,,, Welcome back ,,,please post a picture or two

Dean:
Welcome back!! Betcha it does Charlie's heart good to see people come back home.... (Although he probably is concerned about a fellow Minnesotan leave the North Star state for the land of fruits and nuts....). You must have some good memories being around an IH dealership when you were a kid. One of the best stops on my paper route back in the late 50's was the IH dealership (Garlock Sales) in Grand Ledge Michigan.. It was in an odd location, in town rather than on the edge, in a two story building built into the side of a hill, that had an alley behind that was on the second floor where there was storage and ramp out to the alley, with a garage door and front entrance on the on the first floor main street. There was always something to look at or mechanics to talk to...

Wayne sounds like a bad battery or connection a battery can have voltage but not enough cranking amps to start the tractor.I had a similar issue with my 169.After a new battery it would not start ocassionally, and it was the solenoid not grounding.(Very carefully) Hook your jumper cable from + battery post directly to Generator post and this will crank the engine if the grounds battery and generator are good. I hope this will ngive you a direction to start looking.

Thanks Luther-

I'll give that a try. You and Harry may be right and the battery is lacking the amperage needed. I still don't have a clue why the dipstick all of the sudden started jumping up and down when the engine did turn over. I started to check the breather the other day and someone drove up. I haven't had a chance to get back to it since with this storm threatening.

All we're having here in central NC is moderate winds with a few light gusts. The sun has even popped out a couple of times this am. I hope that thing makes a right turn instead of heading into PA and NY or anywhere in New England.

Curiousity question: (probably aimed at Aaron) What do you suppose it would cost to duplicate an IH #1 cart? Would copyrights still be in effect?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Wayne: When all else fails > blame atmospheric conditions.
happy.gif

All-
Thanks for the kind words.

Last item on my 123 was to pull the motor-generator and clean the commutator and make sure the brushes and bearings were all right and clean all the electrical connections throughout the tractor.

New Hytran, new engine oil, new gas, new oil filter, new air filter and it started this morning with all the enthusiasm that the motor-generator could muster! Reset the hydro linkage per the faq and it goes forward/backward/stops. It runs great, sounds good, no smoke, and so far...no leaks...which means I forgot to fill something :)

I will try to post a couple of pix later on; must travel for a couple of weeks. Land of fruits and nuts will probably have to smog check it... :)

Question: the fuel tank is shot. Bad threads on the top, patched hole in the bottom, and the pipe thread fitting at the bottom is bad too. What are people using now for tanks? Should I keep the glass bowl/shutoff valve?

thx everyone
Dean

Frank,unless you REALLY have to have an IH cart...look around in se*rs and bigbox stores or farm stores. I think you will find most carts are real close in construction to IH carts. Just a different color. My cart from S's looks almost the same except box was a bolt together and IH looked like one piece. Neighbors get more use out of it than I do and they have loaded it pretty heavy. JMHO

Back