• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 22, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PAUL A. - If your refilling one of your 149's then YES, 3-1/2 quarts should be correct, but the fill level should be the 1/2" NPT pipe plug on the cover on the rear face of the transmission, the one that takes a 3/8" square socket extension to remove/install. I wasn't aware of any other plugs on the rearend casting except maybe on an Original where there was one if I remember correctly left over from the Cub FARMALL design.

Not sure what to say about the oil running out of your new rear axle seals. Did you install them with the flat surface facing OUT so the lip faces in? I normally wipe a thin film of gasket sealer around grease & oil seals, Permatex Form-a-Gasket or something, not normally RTV.

While 30W engine oil is O-K, most people use IH Hy-Tran hydralic/transmission oil in their Hydro's.

My wife and I took a trip to Galena, Il for the day. We did the same thing last year, and I spotted a 129 sitting in tall grass in a old niehborhood yard. This year I stopped and got an older gentle man to answer the door. I told him I saw the cub and was wondering if he would sell it. Absolutely not he said, I plan on restoring it some day.

Well we all know different but what can you do...

It is a March of 1972 129 with rearlift, spring assist, and 38 mower deck but no headlights.

I will try again next year.

Jeff-

I've come across people like that who say they plan on doing something with the cub. If they say it's going to be handed down then forget it but in your case I'd have left my name and contact info. A lot of times they will think about it and decide on selling after all. I've thrown $ amounts at them to help the thinking process too. It does work sometimes.

Good luck.

Paul A
If the rear end is a 3 speed gear drive it holds 7 pints (3-1/2 quarts) IF, it is bone dry. A hydro holds 14 pints (7 quarts). By you saying the dealer said to fill it utill it ran out of the small fill plug hole on the BRAKE side, I would assume you are talking about an Original. As Denny said that hole is a holdover from the Farmall Cub, and was only used on the Original, and is at the 3-1/2 PINT level of the transmission case. The case should be filled to the level of the filler plug on the REAR END COVER, for both gear drive and hydro transmissions. Unless the inside of the case is completely dry, it will take a little less than the listed amounts to fill to the fill plug hole. If the oil is running out pass the new axle seals, I believe you have a problem with the seal installation, either they are in backwards or were damaged during installation of the seals or the axles.

Hi I am looking for information on a cub cadet tractor I have. I have 3 in working order and I am sandblasting a snow thrower of this winter. I bought this tractor a long time ago and I am thinking it might be of value to a collector, maybe I could do a trade for parts. I have the engine and others parts in my shed. I am going to try to post pictures. I also have a question on the 42 inch snow thrower. I have new bearing and flanges for the auger but the new carriage bolts will not fit properly the shoulder is too big and I do not want to drill the holes bigger, can I get the right size carriage bolts?

PHOTO 1

John, the Cub Cadet in your photo is an Original with a portion of a SIMS brand cab. Not sure about the carriage bolts, are you sure you have the correct size? I believe those should be 1/4-20 size threads.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Dennis F & Paul B,
Thank you for your resposes I have an Original so I should add only 3-1/2 pints right? or until it comes out the small drain plug on the brake side.
Thank you

Paul
Remember that side hill operation such as mowing a ditch may cause a leak if you don't fix the seal problem.
vroom.gif

Paul A,
NO. The 3-1/2 pints and the small drain on the brake side are for a Farmall Cub only. The Farmall Cub did not have a gear reduction housing on the transmission, and did not take, or use, as much oil. Your Original will take 3-1/2 QUARTS (7 pints), or fill to the bottom of the fill plug in the differencial(sp) cover on the back of the transmission (provided the cover is the correct one for the tractor), but not more than 7 pints.

Back