• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 21, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to use our 149 to mow on a sidehill. I would like to know the steepest angle you can safely mow without causing damage to the engine. Where exactly is the oil pickup and is it possible that the pickup could suck air if the angle is too steep, or would the tractor roll over first? No worries there because the hill isn't THAT steep.

By the way thanks for all the advice on changing the hydro lines and tightening various bolts to eliminate chassis flex.

Hi Jim!

The 149's motor is splash-lubricated, and the 149's got a deep-sump pan and long connecting-rod dipper. I think the side-lean isn't such a big problem, but forward/back lean can cause a bit. There's actually a max angle specification in the Kohler engine manual (download one free from Kohlerengines.com). I think you'll exceed your pucker-factor before having serious problems- the Kohler's mains are ball-bearing...

As far as the hydrostat's pickup is concerned... when that starts sucking air, you're either extreeeesmly low on HyTran fluid, or you're upside down. Seein's how traction is really poor when upside down, and the mower deck doesn't cut very evently ther, I wouldn't worry about exceeding that angle too much.

Anyone use gator blades on their "A" or "C" deck to grind up oak leaves in the fall? How well do they work for that? I'm thinking of getting a set for the 44A on my 1810.

Evening all,
My son gets to do a report on Cyrus McCormick in school (4th grade) The library stinks on books pertaining on the subject. I was wondering if anyone here would have some recommendations for good recourses on his life and work.

Sorry if too far off topic, but with all the IH historians here I thought that this would be a good place to start. I'm thinking that "A corporate Tragedy" would have some help in it too.

Tedd-

Have you tried searching on the internet?

I had to find information on him for school once (7th grade, I think) and I could have sworn I found what I was looking for on the internet.

(Message edited by mgonitzke on October 22, 2004)

Tedd- Binder Books (site sponsor) has several good books.

International Harvester Farm Equipment Product History 1831-1985 has information about Cyrus and other McCormicks...

Matt, I got Gators on my Asshopper with a collection system. I wouldn't have anything else on there!!!

Tedd, "A Corporate Tragedy" will be of great help. There are alot of pages in that book that are devoted to Cyrus McCormick, a brief biography, including his invention of the reaper. Then it leads into how the company started, the merger of the 5 other companies that made IH. Like Matt said, there are some places on the internet that will help too.

Matt-
How well do they work???? Wear a dust mask
happy.gif

That oughtta say it all . . . . .

Paint Question: Has anyone tried the Iron Guard white #B17655N for a match to #902 white for the cub s/n#s 218010 TO 375938? Seems lighter than the 935 replacement #991115N. These are the numbers for the spray cans.

Charlie Z-
If it's called "Power White" which I think is the old Case white, I've heard it doesn't match well, looks sorta pink in the sunlight.

Weather Update:

Guys, I think I got this one right......it's been raining since about 5pm...steady, and the thunder is just now starting to roll in the west.

Trust me, we would have been miserable come Sat. AM!!!!

Thanks one and all for your emails and replys. I will be adding to my library here. I think Cody will have enough to go on now.

Steve,
Thanks foor the update. We are just getting a little drizzle here up north. I'd be P'ed if the rain didn't come.

Wyatt Compton,
Thanks for the info. I will check the next time I go there for the color name. I did get some of the 935 replacement for narrow front rims for my 147's tri-rib tires.

Tedd -

I have the book Ryan's talking about, and the Barrington library has "Corporate Tragedy".

"Corporate Tragedy" is a good book, but a bit of a snoozer and nothing I'd buy knowing that nobody else in this town will ever check it out of the library
wink.gif

Matt, you could'a put that some other way...

When I was in 7th grade, Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet yet... :-}

You gonna test that sleeve hitch next Saturday? I just built another one just like it...
(you know it's gonna break, right?)

(Message edited by dkamp on October 22, 2004)

I went to Tractor Town yesterday to pick up some parts I ordered, and I got bs'ing with the owner. I made mention that I was wanting to do a center mounted blade, so he says to come on in to the back. I ended up with a new sleeve hitch rear mount blade for 50$. I originally was going to cut it up and make my center blade, but I think I may keep it intact, and look for something else for that. Then he sold me the rear lift casting and pin I needed for my 73 for 20$. All in all a good day!

On another note, anybody here who mills their own cylinder heads, can I have a pic of your fixture to mount the heads? I had thought of clamping the deck surface to a right angle plate, and taking a skim cut on both sides to make it parallel, so then I could put it in a vise, indicate it in, and then face mill it. I have a friend that races bikes, he puts a arbor in a lathe, then bolts the head through the spark plug hole, but a kohler head seems pretty big to mount on a 1" arbor. I would think with an interupted (sp?) cut, it would chatter a bit.

Dave-

I can't make it to PD this year, and even if I could I don't have a 3pt. or spring assist for the 128 yet. Right now my priority has shifted to getting the freshly-rebuilt creeper in it. (Except I've got to take it all apart again and put in the #@$% snap ring that I found layin' on the bench after I got it assembled...) Then I've got to get the auger straightened and new gearbox bearings in the QA42A. So maybe next year....
happy.gif

Back